Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 07:19 AM   #3601
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I get the nags all the time to convert to paperless to *save the environment*. I prefer paper statements, and even tolerate the $2 per month fee for it. Doesn't matter how much money you have in the account, they want that $2 fee.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2018, 10:05 AM   #3602
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
A one hole punch and electrical tape put paid to them pretty quick.
Hole punch. Brilliant! Copy this to tip of the day thread!
Old 10-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #3603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
After the three month trial the paper copy would end unless I went online and changed my preference to a paper copy via mail.
When I was with Verizon, for a while they pulled a similar stunt anytime you did anything on their website (e.g., update your credit card). The site would automatically check an opt-in to paperless statements option that you had find and uncheck before completing what you were doing. If not, they deemed that you’d consented to go paperless.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:35 AM   #3604
Recycles dryer sheets

Pet Peeve caused by myself. Decent round of golf except for the double bogie on the last hole.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:26 PM   #3605

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I get the nags all the time to convert to paperless to *save the environment*. I prefer paper statements, and even tolerate the $2 per month fee for it. Doesn't matter how much money you have in the account, they want that $2 fee.
Also, trees for paper are grown on tree farms. Not using paper to "save the trees" makes as much sense as not eating salad to save the vegetables.

Here in the southeast, it is a common practices for timber conglomerates to lease land to hunters. The lease is usually about the cost of the insurance for the timber company. In turn, they get stakeholders interested in the care / management of the land (and the critters that live on the land).
Old 10-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #3606
Recycles dryer sheets

I hate when the size or weight things are described like, as long as a football field, as tall as a 7 story building, as heavy as a city bus, or some other comparison, as if we do not have units of weight & measure.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:22 AM   #3607

^That's silly as a goose!
Old 10-10-2018, 05:24 AM   #3608
Give me a forum ...

Trying to make a small contribution to Roth account on Vanguard. Took several attempts to get the login page (misconfigured server), and watched as contribution sum for 2018 changed before my very eyes without doing a thing. Vanguard site really is questionable. Never did make the contribution.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #3609
Give me a forum ...

Gets me why some folks can't answer simple questions?

My pet peeve is after asking simple questions on email, and getting a response that totally ignores the questions .
Old 10-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #3610

Absolutely! Or you ask 3 questions and get 1 answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Gets me why some folks can't answer simple questions?

My pet peeve is after asking simple questions on email, and getting a response that totally ignores the questions .
Old 10-10-2018, 06:23 PM   #3611
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Absolutely! Or you ask 3 questions and get 1 answered.
Yes. I've learned to always ask only one question per email.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:11 AM   #3612
Recycles dryer sheets

I get really peeved by having seasons quoted at me......expected in the fall.......airing in the summer programming period.......next winter, etc. The US is the worst at doing this.

Just a clue folks, fully half the world is on a different seasonal schedule.....give us a month or range of months......your summer ain't mine!
Old 10-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #3613
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbooth View Post
I get really peeved by having seasons quoted at me......expected in the fall.......airing in the summer programming period.......next winter, etc. The US is the worst at doing this.

Just a clue folks, fully half the world is on a different seasonal schedule.....give us a month or range of months......your summer ain't mine!

Considering that 88% of the people live in the Northern Hemisphere it is reasonable to talk like whomever you are talking to is also there unless you know otherwise...

And of course the US is the worst at it.... we are the most important (just poking a bit of humor)....
Old 10-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #3614

Quote:

Must make it extra hard having to read the calendar upside down....

Old 10-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #3615
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Trying to make a small contribution to Roth account on Vanguard. Took several attempts to get the login page (misconfigured server), and watched as contribution sum for 2018 changed before my very eyes without doing a thing. Vanguard site really is questionable. Never did make the contribution.
Seems that I was not the only one having problems accessing Vanguard. Kinda shakes your faith in their ability to adapt.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bad-t...030643192.html
Old 10-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #3616
Give me a forum ...

High speed internet. I know that's everybody's pet peeve, but why? Why is it so hard to provide good, reliable, fast, and cheap internet to everyone in the country? Especially when this country is as amazing and technically advanced as it is?

Many of us have been on the internet for 30+ years so it's not like they had no lead time to figure out how to accomplish this task effectively. I mean, think about it; when you were working, when did you EVER have 30 years to get something done? (Never!)

As a jumping off point, we ought to have at least 300 Mbps download internet access available for everyone in the New Orleans metro area, with sufficient redundancy to provide absolutely zero outages, for, say, $7.95/month. Or so I would sputter unhappily. I know, in my dreams. But hey, no law against dreaming... Where would we be without dreams?

Yes, we had ANOTHER internet outage last night. Actually we don't have as many as most people but it just seems so frightfully archaic. I could see having outages during the early days of internet access, but the time came long ago for this to be over with. It needs a large scale solution by a company with vision who is willing to invest in their own future profitability. Seems like the right guy in a leadership role, applying some technical expertise, could effectively address and fix the situation once and for all, not just here but everywhere and soon.

I know, I know, if it's so easy I should do it myself..... well I'm just an old lady and gee, do I have to do *everything* myself? (whine, gripe, moan, groan)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-11-2018, 05:46 PM   #3617
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm just the opposite; I hate paper statements and I don't get any.

It's so easy to download a pdf and print it if I want to. They take no storage space and I don't have to bother either shredding them or putting them in the recycle bin.
+1 especially as snowbirds... I get my statements the same no matter where I am.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 10-11-2018, 05:48 PM   #3618
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
Pet Peeve caused by myself. Decent round of golf except for the double bogie on the last hole.
You're griping about one (or two) extra strokes in a round?

Old 10-11-2018, 05:52 PM   #3619
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

And you aren't used to it by now? You could always just visit southern hemisphere based websites.

It must really bug you when we talk about the drain draining clockwise.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:20 PM   #3620
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It must really bug you when we talk about the drain draining clockwise.
Especially with a digital clock.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Closed Thread