Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

What is your pet peeve of the day?
Old 04-22-2014, 05:27 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

What is your pet peeve of the day?

My pet peeve of the day....

Every time I list a decent guitar for sale on Craigslist, I get inquires such as, "....will you consider trading for my.........(usually some other guitar, amp, drum set, you name it). I don't understand why, when it comes to this musical instrument stuff, people automatically seem to think you will want to barter for their unwanted gear. I have probably sold 50 items on Craigslist over the past months. All kinds of stuff from tools to tableware to a gallon of anti-freeze. Some of the items have been fairly expensive. Never has anyone asked if I would consider a trade except when I list a guitar.

Lately, I always put in the ad "NO TRADES CONSIDERED". So guess what, I still get emails asking if I will take trades.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 06:30 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

People who don't live up to their commitments. Co-workers who do half-assed jobs and then whine about having to fix what they broke. And: Companies that twiddle their thumbs producing flashy marketing events when their product is a few years away from obsolescence and they've made practically no substantive efforts toward developing a replacement product.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

My pet peeve is my neighbor who uses her leafblower to blow the leafs in the street and does not pick them up.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

W*rk...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 04-22-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve are people who use handicapped parking spots that don't need them. Took my nephew out to breakfast, but the handicapped spots were full. We ended up parking in an end parking spot further away that allowed us to get his wheelchair next to his seat so he could get out. When we went by the cars parked in the handicapped spots, two of them didn't have handicapped permits or plates. Where's a cop when you need one!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Not having a pet peeve every day.

No, wait, that is a good thing. Good to be retired and ignoring the world for the most part.

As generic, flashing eletronic billboards really suck.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Retire View Post
My pet peeve are people who use handicapped parking spots that don't need them. Took my nephew out to breakfast, but the handicapped spots were full. We ended up parking in an end parking spot further away that allowed us to get his wheelchair next to his seat so he could get out. When we went by the cars parked in the handicapped spots, two of them didn't have handicapped permits or plates. Where's a cop when you need one!
I hear you on this one. I know how difficult it was for both my Mom and Dad when they could barely walk fifty steps. I always park out at the end of the parking lot so that if all the handicap spots are taken, at least someone in need can get a little closer to the front of the store. I know that doesn't help in cases where wheelchair access is required.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

People who don't live up to their commitments. Co-workers who do half-assed jobs and then whine about having to fix what they broke. And: Companies that twiddle their thumbs producing flashy marketing events when their product is a few years away from obsolescence and they've made practically no substantive efforts toward developing a replacement product.
That is why I am so happy that I was able to RE to get away from corporate BS. Hopefully, you will be joining us in ER soon so you can get away from that type of work environment.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
gone traveling

How about the local clinic that touts the acquisition of a blood analysis machine that gives results within two hours and then taking a week to call the patient with results.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by memejipakid View Post
My pet peeve is my neighbor who uses her leafblower to blow the leafs in the street and does not pick them up.
As soon as it's warm enough to open our windows someone nearby starts up the leafblower. It's the noise that bothers me.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

I hate listing on Craigslist for that and other reasons. I tend to price my stuff low when I do it so that I get more interest, and I get REALLY annoyed when people try to low-ball me. The 'it never hurts to ask' saying is NOT true because I always ignore those people and would prefer to take to Goodwill or set out by the curb than sell to someone trying to low-ball me.

My pet peeve lately, though, is people who don't know how to pluralize their OWN NAME! Like people who write, The Jones' instead of The Joneses. I mean, it's your NAME and you should know how to do that! My cousin's wife recently did this on Facebook with my maiden name "Lorenz" ... she said The Lorenz's .... argh! LOL!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Retire View Post
+1.

This has been my number one pet peeve. Some people are so inconsiderate.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
I hear you on this one. I know how difficult it was for both my Mom and Dad when they could barely walk fifty steps. I always park out at the end of the parking lot so that if all the handicap spots are taken, at least someone in need can get a little closer to the front of the store. I know that doesn't help in cases where wheelchair access is required.
Great! Thanks for doing that. I, too, don't mind parking away from the stores.

My pet peeve ---> DW will insist on finding the closest parking spot to where we are going. If I missed a closer spot only 40 yards down, she will remind me why I parked too far. Ditto on golf courses. We started golf (walking the course) for exercise. When we ride cart, she hardly gets out of it to walk to her ball. I have to remind her that we are playing golf to get some exercise.

My pet peeve 2 for the day ---> people talking really loud on their cell/smart phone in public places (subway, lunch room, ...).

My pet peeve 3 for the day, and that's the last for the day ---> people texting while driving. They put all of us in danger.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #14
Administrator

Today? Dog hair.

No matter how much I brush em, the dogs have an endless supply of spare hairs. We've had long talks about how they need to be more considerate and only shed outside but I have not seen any improvement.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

People who don't answer their phone, especially when I know it is glued to their hand. This really irritates me when it's my daughter or other family member.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Today? Dog hair.

No matter how much I brush em, the dogs have an endless supply of spare hairs. We've had long talks about how they need to be more considerate and only shed outside but I have not seen any improvement.
Janet, I have a rough collie so I totally hear you! I can't imagine having more than one of them - one is almost a full-time job!
Old 04-22-2014, 12:32 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

My neighbor, rude and ignorant.
Number 1 on a long list, the dog. Barks nonstop starting at 5:00 A.M. Never seen anyone pay attention to it. No human touch, no play, nothing. Not sure what they do with it in winter months, seems to exist on the porch.

It's not the dog's fault, the owner ignores it. Sad when the pet's smarter than the owner. Animal control has been involved a few times, they say they can't help.
MRG
Old 04-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #18

My pet peeve is that I am craving cookies today and I am dieting. . .
Old 04-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Loose dogs at the park. They poop everywhere and their owners pretend not to see lest they have to pick it up. The dogs harass me and my leashed dog, plus chase wildlife, including ground nesting birds. Owners always have an excuse, which boils down to leash laws being written for other people's dogs, not their darling well behaved pooches.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Loose dogs at the park. They poop everywhere and their owners pretend not to see lest they have to pick it up. The dogs harass me and my leashed dog, plus chase wildlife, including ground nesting birds. Owners always have an excuse, which boils down to leash paws being written for other people's dogs, not their darling well behaved pooches.
Feed those loose dogs some chocolate as they pass by....
Closed Thread