Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What kind of TV (and reception) do you have?
Old 04-05-2007, 09:37 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

21" 1986-vintage JVC in the LR

13" GE in the basement.

Good 'ol fashioned over-the-air analog into rabbit ears. We're striving to be the last non-cable household that isn't drawing AFDC.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2007, 11:19 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have DirecTV with a basic / plus package of channels. We like the choice of Discovery Channels and science and tech stuff. We don't get any of the sports or movie packages. But we have 5 TVs and a TiVo so while the basic price is reasonable, having 5 TVs plus the Tivo really ups the cost. But it's really our only splurge on entertainment.

All our TVs are older units. I know the time will come when we will have to upgrade to one of the new HD LCDs, I'm just waiting a little longer. My son who works and lives at home has been asking when we are going to replace the LR TV with an HD unit. I said I'm in no big hurry, but if he'd like to buy one and keep it in my living room, I'll buy a stand and the cables for it and not charge him any storage fees.

We had cable TV for many years and the picture quality was just so bad. All the local channels had scrolling lines and one of the cable channels had interference from a nearby repeater antenna. When the kids were younger that repeater caused a houndstooth pattern all over Nickelodean. The cable company replaced the outside lines and rewired my whole house, and still they couldn't improve the picture so we changed to DirecTV.

I'd love to make the move to HD, but I'm afraid that if I got one, I'd get spoiled and want to change all of the TVs to HD.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:34 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

50 inch Sony LCD projection (Grand Wega) and basic cable with HD option (13 channels but they all look sweet!).
Old 04-06-2007, 12:14 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

16 y/o 25" RCA
secret basic cable plan: $10 per month

We'd like to get a 42" flat panel, HD, all that, but don't want to have to get a $60 cable bill. Also, Denver does not yet have broadcast channels in HD over the air and in any case, we are in a bad location for reception, would need quite a large roof antenna.

Possibly when the switch to digital is mandated then we can get our cheap cable plan and it will include all digital channels anyway, then we may make the tv purchase.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:33 AM   #25

46" Sony 1080p LCD (KDL46V2500 if you must know).
Same panel as the XBR but slightly different electronics. Great picture with standard DVD's even.

No cable, no satellite, no rabbit ears even. Just movies on disc.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:34 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
Good 'ol fashioned over-the-air analog into rabbit ears. We're striving to be the last non-cable household that isn't drawing AFDC.
You'd be surprised/disturbed at just how many of my TANF (new name for AFDC) clients had cable...

or maybe not. *sigh*
Old 04-06-2007, 02:07 PM   #27

No, I would not be surprised. I dealt with SSI claimants and most of them had higher cable bills than I did, cell phones before I did and call waiting also. When they would get angry, they would tell me they were going to call their lawyer. I still don't have a lawyer!
Old 04-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I have dish network and use a local antena to get the HD locals. I have a 52" JVC HD-ILA and a 37" lcd. Both are great!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:54 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

43" Hitachi rear projection built into the wall. DirecTV / Cable for locals and 2 Tivo's churning away. I test HD cable every year when they offer me a promo for a month. I can hardly tell the difference between HD and my satellite reception, so I return the promo converter every year.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:03 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
i don't know what size it is. i never measured it, but i never received any complaints either.
We are talking about your "TV", right? :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:06 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

32" Panasonic CRT in the livingroom, 20" in the familyroom. The livingroom one is on its second remote control (thank goodness these things can be found over the Internet).

Seven pawnshop VCRs and one really cheap DVD player.

Oceanic Cable's hardware isn't very good on our street. The connection is wet, it floods out with every rainstorm, and the higher freqs are terribly grainy above Ch59. I finally went to DSL because I was tired of being treated like an idiot child every time the RoadRunner signal sputtered out.

We ordered rock-bottom lowest-level service-- broadcast channels and one or two "others". They screwed up the filters, gave us the one-step-up $45/month service for $12/month, and didn't figure it out for three years. Now I'm really looking forward to ala carte pricing.

While I can happily plug away at the monitor of our computer desk for an entire morning, or spend the entire day reading a book, I can't sit in my recliner and watch TV for as long as 30 minutes. Even when I have a tape that I want to watch I won't "find" the time to do so for weeks. All of my maintenance & repair services are for family harmony but our kid is rapidly gaining her own tech skills.

My PILs were happy with Dish but I'm not sure what it takes to simultaneously record a half-dozen channels. That's also holding me back from DVRs, as well as the realization that I just don't need more infrastructure to maintain.

Our kid has her own Netflix subscription. Parents, you should strongly consider this for your tween & teen daughters. (I can see where a guy could stray from the path of righteousness, but our daughter is almost Puritanical in her self-censoring.) We're not pestered to go to the video store or the library anymore, she doesn't live her life by the TV schedule or race around during commercial breaks, she doesn't go crazy waiting for the next big Hollywood movie release, and there are no late fees or deadlines. She just gets a red envelope in the mail every couple days and I'm fascinated by the depth & breadth of her eclectic selections.

Of course I wouldn't give a preschooler unlimited access to Barney & Blue's Clues. Life would lose all meaning...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:37 PM   #32
Administrator

42" Hitachi plasma HDTV in the den
19" el-cheapo RCA old tube TV in the bedroom

Bare bones basic cable TV

I don't get the HDTV signal yet (LBYM until ER; maybe then). It remains to be seen whether or not my vision is good enough to appreciate HDTV. I love the vivid and realistic colors of this TV, though.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:54 PM   #33

1992 Panasonic downstairs
1986 Sony upstairs
1999 Samsung in office

All rabbit ears.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:19 AM   #34

15 yr old 32" SONY tube
8 yr old 27" Samsung tube
Comcast extended basic cable (with internet)
No TV's in the kids rooms, just computers
Looked at all the new stuff but not motivated enough yet
Old 10-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

19 inch Broksonic TV/VCR combo
free DTV reception

Was happy until away out of town at a friend's -- couldn't watch football game from my city.

So this past weekend, decided to get a DTVpal DVR and Slingbox. Finally got the Slingbox to work after several days . So now, I can "watch" my tv when out of town and through my computer monitor, oh, and also through the TV tube too
Old 10-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #36

Pioneer plasma and a few lcd's with directv at house
Smaller Pioneer plasma with cable at condo

Reception is about the same
Old 10-27-2009, 10:49 PM   #37

Just upgraded from my friends old 15" to my friends old 25" in my bedroom.
Old 27" in living room.

Cable (extended, no premium) bundled with internet
Old 10-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I have a circa 1995 26" TV with a digital converter that takes its signal from a roof mounted antenna. This spring I had the chimney rebuilt and they offered to cart off the antenna. It didn't occur to them that I still use it.

Second TV in spare bedroom is a similar vintage 20' that uses a digital antenna made from coat hangers.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Panasonic 42" plasma TV in the living room
GE 20" tube TV in the bedroom

Knology expanded basic channels plus premium movie channels
Old 10-28-2009, 09:40 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

We have a puppet stage, and DW and I take turns acting out the news and Gilligan's Island reruns.