Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What kitchen gadgets do you have?
Old 12-03-2004, 02:57 AM   #21

I was tempted to ignore this topic, but...................
we have some bowls, plates, pots, pans, knives, forks, spoons and a microwave, just about all used.
There, wasn't that fascinatiing?

John Galt
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2004, 04:08 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

We made pasta a few times, once with just regular all-purpose flour and the other times with semolina (the semolina tasted better). Pile flour in the middle of wood chopping board, make a well in the middle and crack an egg. Knead and then roll thin with the rolling pin. Lots of work which was why I was considering a pasta maker. I made bread by hand too and at one point in the future will probably want to acquire a bread machine. I guess I want these gadgets because they seem to be a time-saver. I can make bread and pasta more often if I have these gadgets heh...right I just like kitchen gadgets.

LovesLife: thanks on the heads-up on the crock pot. I'll look into the Nesco roaster.

Jane

Old 12-03-2004, 05:32 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Jane,

I just wanted to comment on you getting a crockpot for Christmas. *It seems that the new crockpots of today are not made like the old ones. *And I mean it is "not a good thing". *They boil and overcook on the low setting. *Completely worthless. *I recently broke the crock on my older crockpot and ended up getting a whole new one. *(Big mistake was to throw out the old base unit). *I ended up buying/trying/returning several new ones because they burnt the food. *Sauces would boil down to nothing. *And that was cooking on "low". *I finally picked up a NESCO roaster because it looks like a crockpot and has a variable temperature setting in degrees (not just high/low). *And in theory cooking at low heat should be a "slow cooker". *Made my first dinner in it tonight and it tasted pretty good and cooked almost as similar to my old crockpot. *

I'm just trying to save you some grief. *I tried the new programables, several brands and ended up returning every single one. *

I really love cooking in a crockpot and normally use mine 2-4 times a week.

Good luck.

LovesLife

Can Mrs BUM have a favorite receipie?

Old 12-03-2004, 05:36 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I will send you some favs later on today (after work). I have some excellent receipes to pass on. Glad you asked.

LovesLife
Old 12-03-2004, 05:37 AM   #25

Quote:
Food processor- I mostly use a cleaver, or a Global knife.
Mikey
Will it core a apple?

Cheffadafuture
Old 12-03-2004, 05:40 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm, I think I'll decline to do the full list. I always wondered about a small pressure cooker (already have a ginormous one for pressure canning). Are they easy to use?

One of my favorite goodies was a gift from my brother. It is a Kyocera ceramic knife with about a 5" blade. You have to be a bit careful with it as ceramic can chip or shatter (it is brittle), but the thing is freakishly sharp. Its like cutting vegetables, etc. with a razor blade. It is so sharp that most things cut with little pressure or effort on my part. If I didn't already have lots of high end steel knives from when DW worked at a vegetarian chef's school, I would be ponying up for a chef's knife made of this stuff.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:25 AM   #27

The Rotato. I have the manual one that works great, but I believe now they have electric ones.

http://www.storeshop.com/rotato_potato_peeler.html

Old 12-03-2004, 06:51 AM   #28

My toaster oven is my favorite gadget. I think I use it more than the microwave. Being single I don't cook much and the toaster oven doesn't require much preheating.

I have a knockoff GF grill that I used to use a lot for burgers and fries but haven't used lately.

I have that chopper thingy from TV where you push the top to chop nuts and such. My mom got it for me and used it once while visiting; I haven't usd it since.

Oh yeah, another favorite is my cheese slicer. It's just a cheap plastic stick with a couple of wires, but I love it.

I have a couple of ulus. One for show only and one for using. I don't use them much because I don't chop and cut much, but I like it when I have a use for it.

Oh yeah...everyone's best kitchen gadget: The TV remote.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:34 AM   #29

Quote:
The Rotato. *I have the manual one that works great, but I believe now they have electric ones.
The thing that I always wonder about with the real "gadget" type things like this one is does it really save any time? By the time that you set it up, load up a potato, peel it, and then clean it up is it any faster at all than just using a good peeler?

That's become one of my criteria for picking up kitchen gadgets or tools. It's got to be something that I'll use often enough to make it worthwhile and it's got to be a timesaver or it does the job better. Just recently I bought a big Rollpat silicone rubber rolling mat for dough because I've been making breads and pastas regularly, my cutting board that I used for rolling was too small, and we've got the typical Californian tile counters that aren't good for rolling dough (for the religious zealots this is NOT intended as bad comment against America though I understand that you may take it as such).

If you don't really think about these things you can end up with a kitchen cluttered with Ronco junk like my aunt.

I really like this kind of "right angle" peeler (I think that this one has one of those ceramic blades that Brewer was talking about):
Old 12-03-2004, 07:45 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

By the time that you set it up, load up a potato, peel it, and then clean it up is it any faster at all than just using a good peeler?
Are not miserly retirees supposed to eat the potatoes with the peelings? We never peel, not even for mashed potatoes.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 08:04 AM   #31

Quote:
The thing that I always wonder about with the real "gadget" type things like this one is does it really save any time? *By the time that you set it up, load up a potato, peel it, and then clean it up is it any faster at all than just using a good peeler?
If I race you to peel a half dozen potatoes, me with my rotato and you with your right angle peeler, I will win every time. I can probably peel 6 potatoes by the time you are done with your second. There's no setup time for the Rotato and it takes just as much time to clean it as it does a peeler. I also use it for apples.

http://funwavs.com/wavfile.php?quote=3614&sound=337

Clint Eastwood as Man With No Name: "When a man with a 45 meets a man with a rifle, you said the man with a pistol's a dead man. Lets see if that's true."
Old 12-03-2004, 08:07 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have an apple peeler that looks like a horizontal version of your rotato but is about 80 years old. Works good.

Bruce
Old 12-03-2004, 09:12 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a proud owner of an Eggstractor :P ... As you may have seen on TV, it peels an egg by your pushing on a billows type sleev and the hard-boiled egg pops out under the plastic stand without it's shell.

Because I acted quickly, the makers included an egg slicer and was even able to buy a second one as a gift for only a few dollars more.

For years, I have bemoaned the lost oppurtunity of buying an in-the-egg-scrambler made for a short time by RONCO. That american tech breakthrough was a smal verticle wire whip on its stand with which the cook would pierce the egg and activate to produce a scrambled egg with shell intact.

I doubt that the two gadgets wouldd have worked well together. however.
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:06 AM   #34

Quote:
Clint Eastwood as Man With No Name: "When a man with a 45 meets a man with a rifle, you said the man with a pistol's a dead man. Lets see if that's true."
What a place! At least one good laugh per day here - and retire@40 wins today.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:21 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Love my crockpot, use it all the time....Anyone passing on recipes...me too, me too! I can always use new ones!

Adventuregirl
Old 12-03-2004, 10:30 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Is it true you can roast the whole chicken in crock pot?

That's what I want to find out.

Recipes are always welcome.

Jane
Old 12-03-2004, 10:54 AM   #37

Yes you can do a whole chicken. You get a whole bunch of juices too if you want to make gravy or just defat and freeze for stock.

I have a timed crockpot and do a whole chicken for 6-8 hours on low; amy more and it falls apart.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:37 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Everyone.

Whew, just got home from a busy day at work. Can't wait to drop my work week down to 2 days.

I just wanted to post a link to my very favorite site for receipes. It's http://allrecipes.com/recipes/ I just love this site. You can browse here by cooking method, ingrediants, type of food, etc. You can find receipes and have it recalculate the ingrediants for different serving sizes. Best of all, IMHO, it will even print out a shopping list. This site has changed my attitude for the better about cooking again. Some of my favorite receipes for slowcookers are: slow cooker salisbury steak, cheesy brat stew for the slow cooker.

You can enter in the titles to these receipes in the search section and it should bring you to a list to select from.

One of my very favorite receipes that I tried over Thanksgiving was Pumpkin casserole. It was like pumpkin pie without the crust. I counted it as a vegetable and ate it to my heart's content.

If anyone has trouble with linking to this site and would like a direct link, please email me and I will get it out to you.

LovesLife
and loves to eat, too
Old 12-03-2004, 05:46 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Will it core a apple?
Cheffadafuture
Well, I think someone like a sushi chef could core an apple with a double bladed axe. But not Mikey.
I only core apples to make baked apples, and I use a stiff boning knife. I hold the apple with a welding glove, in case I slip. I'm sure that if someone had frequent need to core dozens of apples, there would be better ways!

Mikey
Old 12-04-2004, 03:36 AM   #40

I have an apple corer that I got somewhere. It cuts the apple into eights and removes the core another neat device.