Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Early 40's and not old at all, but I feel old when I'm sick and/or body aches from physical activity. Standard desk job during the day.

For example, on Saturday I spent 10 hours performing residential rental property repairs, i.e. replaced 3 hot water heaters - throwing out the old units 100 ft away, changed out 12 GFCI outlets - being on my hands/knees at times, misc. repairs climbing up on a ladder a bit. By dinner time, I relaxed with DW and kids, but after the kids went to bed, I felt stiff. Sunday was a family R&R day and I'm fine on Monday =)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I would venture to say that at the age of 100, you will feel the same (emotionally) as you did at age 16.
"Inside the body of every 75-year-old is a 25-year-old wondering what the hell happened..."

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The gentleman says to me that in talking with his dad, his dad remembered when gas prices were 75 cents a gallon.
I can remember gas at 35 cents a gallon and people complaining about how high it was.

But what really makes me feel old is to watch live footage from World War II. It looks ancient and historical to me, but I was born smack dab at the midpoint of the war.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I feel old when someone posts a Grace Slick "White Rabbit" video!
missionfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Realizing it's been 36 years since I graduated from high school.

I used to look forward to the ages of 13, 16 and 21. Now I look forward to 62 so that I can draw my SS check.

Grunting when I get out of the recliner.

Grunting when I walk across the floor.

Did I mention grunting?

Old 03-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

My wife and I both look much younger than our age: few wrinkles, very little gray hair, reasonably fit.

But my body keeps reminding me that I am in my 50s when I try to do something a bit more strenuous.

And of course looking at other people in our age group reminds us that we are in a geezer group. Gasp!

Old 03-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I think old is generally 10-15 years older than your current age is for most people, so the definition is fluid. However for the men, when your hair in your ears is thicker than whats on top of your head your probably in the old age danger zone!
Old 03-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i am surprised at how many people that are a lot younger than i am are complaining about aches, pains and how doing a minor amount of physical activity kicks their butt.

the work i do growing vegetables all spring thru fall not to mention splitting, picking up and moving 3 cord of firewood to the woodshed plus all the other bs i do as a home owner must keep me young. in addition to that a healthy diet of real food, no processed or refined junk that comprises the standard american diet (sad), the way people ate 100 years ago no doubts helps. i will say in my early 30's i had a terrible diet and was starting to exhibit many health problems associated with the way i ate which is why i changed my life style. i did not have gray hair until mid 40's, need glasses until 48 or 49, still have a full head of hair no bald spot, look at least 10 years younger than my age and i am never sick.

it may be good genes but i suspect my diet has a lot to do with it plus i never had kids. too much stress with kids, everyone i know that had them was much older, sicker and worn out than me at any given point in time.

i hope people don't think what i have said is bragging because i am not, apparently i'm the healthy exception tho i do glow blue in the dark. i said this to express what i have experienced since it seems to be so different than the comments i'm reading. ymmv.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I'm 60, there is a lot of pain involved.

skills:skills [ObsoleteSkills]
Old 03-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
i am surprised at how many people that are a lot younger than i am are complaining about aches, pains and how doing a minor amount of physical activity kicks their butt.
I'm not sure how old you are...but, the reason I have aches and pains is because even though I'm a female, I've lifted and worked like a man for most of my life. (What I mean by this is usually men are stronger, IMO)

I've lifted racks of clothing, done heavy lifting in landscaping and have picked up and moved my household furniture ten times. The last time we moved, we hired someone else do the heavy work.

Doing all of that for 35 years took its toll on me. I was foolish to punish my body that way...because now I'm paying for it.

...and yes, I know....the mileage does vary.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #51

The 12 year old girl at the ice rink doing triple jumps of various kinds, while I'm working on an outside three turn.
I think I found the next figure skating Olympic champion. She spends three to four hours a day skating, smiling the whole time, and is home schooled. Her mom does the homework evaluations while she is tearing up the rink.

Yeah, I'm jealous.

But then again I had a 50 year break in skating.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #52

The second time (the first last year was a fluke, right?), an elderly woman in Chinatown with 2 young grandkids declines your offer of a seat on the bus and then insists loudly that you are more deserving................
Old 03-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudester View Post
I can remember gas at 35 cents a gallon and people complaining about how high it was.

But what really makes me feel old is to watch live footage from World War II. It looks ancient and historical to me, but I was born smack dab at the midpoint of the war.
Just had to get this in. The cheapest I ever saw gas was 1957 while in college. It was cheap enough but then they had a gas war (between stations) and we were buying it for 19c/gal. Even during high school, the standard order at the gas station was 5 gallons. At that time it set you back about $1.50.

One other item I'll always remember is that I got a big promotion to a department head but had to transfer from a plant in Ohio to one in Michigan. Still can't believe I moved the wife and three kids for that better job. My salary was $860 per month. That was in 1965.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #54

I am on the use-it-or-lose-it wagon. I have the aches of having aged decades older than I was only two years ago. I was pretty fit, but I had some things happen that kept me away from exercising. I am amazed at the changes in such a short time. I could run rings around the kids at work. Now i have to work to hold my own.
The good news is that I know what I need and it won't take long to get back to even younger feeling. The better news is that it's fun to get there.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #55

Last Monday I missed the last step of our back stairs and have been on crutches with a bad sprain. Never before had crutches or an injury like this. I feel very old this week for a lot of reasons, but the ankle was certainly a bitter topper. I can't imagine if I had to face this for an extended period of time. Ugh!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
The second time (the first last year was a fluke, right?), an elderly woman in Chinatown with 2 young grandkids declines your offer of a seat on the bus and then insists loudly that you are more deserving................
Just don't call her kupuna...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:25 PM   #57

Ah, the days of gas wars.... $.25/gal gas would go down as low as $.17/gal. I could fill up on less than $5. Then the early '70s came and the big oil / gas scare (my dad worked for an oil company and he said there were plenty of reserves) and gas prices went through the roof. I remember the first time they cross $1.00. That was absolute tragedy.

I was paid $.80/hr for my first job. For some reason it was enough to pay rent and buy groceries and still have a little bit left over.

Don't misunderstand this as my missing the old times. The good old days are here and now. We're living longer and living better. This is the best time of my life.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:40 PM   #58

I think physical ailments and seeing my face change both make me feel old. But neither are awful and just sort of hit me once in awhile.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #59

I remember when I was a kid my elderly relatives used to go to the lavatory much more often than I did. I am far from their age (only 47 now) but now that I see it happening to me I am beginning to feel old like them.

When I am at the barber, I see more and more clumps of grey hair on the protective smock, reminding me that it is becoming more than small minority but a growing one but thankfully not yet a majority.

As for gas prices, I remember them as low as $0.28 per gallon back in 1972, just before the oil crisis in 1973. A few years later, my family was in Maine on vacation and the local gas station had an old-style pump which did not go further than $0.50 so they had to set the price to half the actual selling price then warn motorists that they would have to pay double the dollar value on the pump (so it was not "Bargain Basement Sale" on gasoline that day!).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:12 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I think physical ailments and seeing my face change both make me feel old. But neither are awful and just sort of hit me once in awhile.
Oh yes - have to agree. Looking in the mirror and realizing that I look completely different from when I was in my early 20's is a bit weird. Not bad - just a little strange.