Join Early Retirement Today

What motivates the ultra-rich to keep pursuing more?
Old 12-06-2018, 07:12 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What motivates the ultra-rich to keep pursuing more?

"As the number of millionaires and billionaires in the world climbs ever higher, there are a growing number of people who possess more money than they could ever reasonably spend on even the lushest goods.

But at a certain level of wealth, the next million isn’t going to suddenly revolutionize their lifestyle. What drives people, once they’ve reached that point, to keep pursuing more?"

Rest of article here:
https://www.theatlantic.com/family/a...-money/577231/

omni

omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 07:39 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Getting the next million IS their lifestyle. They enjoy what they do.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:42 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They enjoy what they do, and they're usually hyper competitive and more hard working than regular folks. Their drive doesn't come from having enough money to live comfortably, it's having more money (and power) than others - "winning."

People from all socio-economic levels are guilty of the same, just in varying degrees - known as "keeping up with the Joneses." What appears excessive depends on your station in life...

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I read in an interview with a hedge fund manager that it's not about the money, it's about keeping score.
hausfrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought about this, albeit at a lesser scale, when considering when to FIRE. If I worked another year, we could fly first class vs. coach on a vacation or two a year. Or, I could have an extra $1,000/mo to spend. But, at some point, you have to consider what you really want out of life and prioritize accordingly. FOR ME, the extra year of freedom was worth the trade-off. For others? Perhaps their work IS the source of enjoyment in their life...
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #6

There are a bunch of factors, money the least of it.

Power, fame, influence, social circle - a lot of that goes once you no longer have an active title. "Former"-CEO doesn't have the same ring to it, doesn't get you the box seats, or the invite to the right party in Palm Beach.

Then there are some as well who just can't consider not working because that's what they do, especially the generation raised by Depression-era parents.

The ultra rich aren't debating first class vs. coach. They are debating which private jet they prefer.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:07 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
They enjoy what they do, and they're usually hyper competitive and more hard working than regular folks. Their drive doesn't come from having enough money to live comfortably, it's having more money (and power) than others - "winning."
+1
It's 'what they do'.
It's fun, challenging, exciting and a game.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
... People from all socio-economic levels are guilty of the same, just in varying degrees - known as "keeping up with the Joneses." What appears excessive depends on your station in life...
+1

Just go look at the "Blow dough" thread.

It's not that I am not guilty of the same, except that I care less about things now, and just want to see my pile of stocks getting bigger. A guy's got to have some endeavors in life, that's all.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Or....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Revolution.jpg (628.1 KB, 91 views)
Old 12-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
A guy's got to have some endeavors in life, that's all.
I used to work with a guy who had two (yes two) Gulfstreams.

Why? "In case one of them wasn't ready!"
He thought nothing of skiing all day in Utah and then flying to San Francisco for dinner.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
But at a certain level of wealth, the next million isn’t going to suddenly revolutionize their lifestyle. What drives people, once they’ve reached that point, to keep pursuing more?"
Many people on this board have reached that point: a million doesn't really have that much purchasing power these days, and an extra one or two would not significantly change our lifestyles.

Having years ago exceeded my 'number', I no longer work but continue to LBYM and invest the balance. Rationally the latter makes little sense, but it is difficult to change the habits of a lifetime. I would expect that the same holds true of billionaires.

And as NW-Bound says, seeing the little numbers increase on monthly statements does yield a sense of achievement. Pathetic really, but there it is.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #12

Sex, money and power are the three driving forces in this world for most people. Seems like some folks can never can have enough of all three. Having one of the forces usually means you can "get" the others, to varying degrees. Personally, I've never cared that much about power and I have more than enough money, but.....................
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Getting the next million IS their lifestyle. They enjoy what they do.
+1 I think it's a variation on the well known "hoarding instinct" that some people have. Instead of hoarding possessions or trash, they hoard money.

Squirrels hoarding nuts for the winter have nothing on humans, when it comes to extreme hoarding instincts. Or at least that is my opinion.

--- Admiral David Farragut during the battle of Mobile Bay, paraphrased
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #14

Just another way to keep score for those whom to it matters.

I could win the Powerball and I'd still know that didn't make me "better" than anyone else.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1 I think it's a variation on the well known "hoarding instinct" that some people have. Instead of hoarding possessions or trash, they hoard money.
I don't know if it's hoarding or not, but I've always valued having money over having things. Having money means I can buy things if I want to, I'd rather have that - than the things! Makes me think twice about spending too, but when we really want something, we just buy it without pause.

Only loosely related but reading The Millionaire Next Door is still a good insight IMO. Some people who appear wealthy, aren't. And some who live a modest lifestyle, are actually surprisingly wealthy. That was a revelation to me when I first read TMND years ago. I'd rather be rich, than look rich...

Look at Warren Buffett, Sam Walton, etc. You would never know just observing their lifestyles.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Old 12-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Sex, money and power are the three driving forces in this world for most people. Seems like some folks can never can have enough of all three. Having one of the forces usually means you can "get" the others, to varying degrees. Personally, I've never cared that much about power and I have more than enough money, but.....................
I would replace power with freedom. I have no desire to be powerful, just safe and free!
HNL Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I think it is a score-keeping thing... to some extent they measure themselves and their self-worth in $$$ against their peers... in both annual income and net worth.

I guess I am not at all wired that way... while I enjoyed the "game" I was happy to stop playing... I never understood why others kept playing but if that made them happy then so be it.

Notice that many of the world's richest who are of a retirement age and could retire are still working (albeit arguably at their own pace)... I'm not familiar with all the names on the list below but to my knowledge Bill Gates is the only one who is retired (though I am sure his philanthropic activities keeps him busy).
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (89.7 KB, 66 views)

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:09 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have been around people making $3M+ annually for the last 10 years. They have more than enough and keep working. From the ones I worked very closely with, they just enjoyed being in charge. Running the show. Some did it well (servant leadership) and some did not (dictators). But they all enjoyed being the HMFIC.

From a pure money standpoint, all of them knew they had enough. A few of them wanted more. One of them wanted it all. My last boss was a billionaire and drove a 12 year old BMW.

I'm in the same boat, but not that kind of comp. I like running a company. I like helping people grow. I like being in the "chair". It is addicting.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps the belief that "more is more" instead of "less is more".
Old 12-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I have been around people making $3M+ annually for the last 10 years. They have more than enough and keep working. From the ones I worked very closely with, they just enjoyed being in charge. Running the show. Some did it well (servant leadership) and some did not (dictators). But they all enjoyed being the HMFIC.
I know some people here find it incredulous, but some people would rather work than have endless free time, and it has nothing to do with money.

Had lunch with a buddy who sold his company, but stayed on, and he's beyond FI. I asked him yesterday when he's actually going to retire, and he said "I don't know what I'd do all day, what do you do?" He said he took two days off, nearly went crazy, and begged the new owners of his former company to let him work PT. He's happy as a clam.

And that's fine for him, despite what some here are quick to say about how others choose to live their lives.