Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What Movies/Videos Have You Seen Lately?
Old 10-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What Movies/Videos Have You Seen Lately?

We saw "In Her Shoes" last night, and enjoyed it. The beginning is annoying, and I almost quit watching, but it's better later.

I mention it because our own Rich in Tampa is mentioned, and has a very small walk-on part.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

I let my wife pick out "Two Weeks" with Sally Field off the cheap rack at the grocery store. It was well done but was a serious downer. I watch movies to be entertained, not reminded of what suffering is all about. Also from the same rack I picked "expelled" by Ben Stein. I don't want to rile anyone so I will just say I really enjoyed it, especially his illuminating interview with Richard Dawkins, the renowned atheist. Accidentally came across an early Will Ferrell movie on tv last night. Forget the name but it was about an author writing a book and Will could hear her narrate the story in her mind. She wrote an ending that killed him. Actually was pretty good. We also saw "inglorious basterds" at the cinema. I thought it was a comedy by the advertisements on tv but was proven wrong. A somewhat violent rewrite of history with some serious tense scenes. Inglorious basterds isn't worth the effort although brad pitt as a southern boy was somewhat entertaining.
lloyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Just watched The Pursuit of Happyness with Will Smith. It was on my Netflix queue forever, and I kept bumping it for some newer releases.
Very interesting to watch such a movie, whose time frame is the recession of early 1980s, in view of current events. I also understand why it was so tough for me to get a job when I graduated college in 1980.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

We just saw Hangover .Incredibly stupid but funny ! Lots of laugh out loud parts . Before that we saw " Ghosts of girlfriend past " . That was also funny .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had a holiday today due to Columbus Day so I drove into Pittsburgh to see "Bright Star", a Jane Campion film. Beautiful cinematography and a very wistful period love story.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I mention it because our own Rich in Tampa is mentioned, and has a very small walk-on part.
I just hope it wasn't at the beginning...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We saw "In Her Shoes" last night, and enjoyed it. The beginning is annoying, and I almost quit watching, but it's better later.

I read the book so I had to see it and it was just okay ! Rich is probably ordering it from Netflix to see his part .
Old 10-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Rich is probably ordering it from Netflix to see his part .
Rich, I wonder if early demand can drive up your residuals? A shipmate had a small part in "The Hunt For Red October". Every six months or so he gets a check (or an EFT) for amounts like $2.45.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 10-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Wow, looking through my netflix history I'm surprised at how many unremarkable films I've seen. Few are worth recommending, or even remembering. But here are two at complete opposite ends of the spectrum that are well worth seeing . . .

Wall-E

Downfall
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Rich, I wonder if early demand can drive up your residuals? A shipmate had a small part in "The Hunt For Red October". Every six months or so he gets a check (or an EFT) for amounts like $2.45.

Where are my residuals ? I was in a face lift training film years ago as the scrub nurse .
Old 10-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I have seen "State of Play" and "The International" in the past week. I found both movies entertaining but the ending of "The International" was kind of a let down.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

That Will Ferrell movie lloyds mentioned is "Stranger than Fiction" and I really enjoyed it. Ditto for the Hangover--very funny (I saw it twice and laughed even harder the second time). It will be a popular DVD forever.

We just saw "The Informant!" with Matt Damen as the whistleblower in the Archer Daniels Midland price fixing case in the 1990s. It was quite funny, lowkey, and everyone in it was very very good.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The wife picked out La Vie en Rose the other night. It's a biopic of French singer Edith Piaf.

I was skeptical, but we both really enjoyed it. The lead actress was a deserving Oscar winner.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:12 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

We watched "Hot Fuzz" about a month ago (don't get around to movies much, as we're usually wiped by 9 p.m.). It was utterly hilarious. Think Monty Python does a buddy cop movie but the lead has the intensity of Daniel Craig as James Bond.

Totally worth the 120 minutes. Not for the squeamish, though, as there's a couple of (funny, freakish) death scenes.

Also saw The Hangover last month. Two thumbs up for just sheer hilarity, and I feel like they earned every single laugh. Didn't dial a single one in.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:17 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I watched Sunshine Cleaning and I liked it.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
I was skeptical, but we both really enjoyed it. The lead actress was a deserving Oscar winner.
She recently played Dillinger's girlfriend in "Public Enemies."

Marion Cotillard

SO and I enjoyed “Mildred Pierce” the other day; found it surfing the TV. We also liked “Public Enemies” which I think is best picture material. “Amelia” will be next.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:21 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
A shipmate had a small part in "The Hunt For Red October".
Possibly the best movie of all time. I sometimes have "submarine night" when DW is out of town and I settle down to The Hunt for Red October, Crimson Tide, and U-571.

Recently saw "The Informant" and loved it.

Saw "Couple's Retreat" and it was so-so
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Where are my residuals ? I was in a face lift training film years ago as the scrub nurse .
Spouse had a bit part in a History Channel documentary a decade or so ago, and she has the same residual rate as you...

I confess to having recently watched "Mega-shark vs Giant Octopus", or whatever they're calling Debbie Deborah Gibson's latest Oscar-seeking efforts. Another instant classic for those long submarine patrols. Or at least the really really long ones.

Our teen is all excited about Michael Jackson's "exclusive two-week showing" of "This Is It". She can hardly believe that Fandango will let her reserve/buy her (full-price plus service charge) ticket as early as day #3. Luckily I wasn't asked to go along. I'm going to have to once again get out my copy of Cialdini's "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion"... and beat her over the head with it.

Attention Western fans
Old 10-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Attention Western fans

3:10 To Yuma, starring Russell Crowe. It is a current day remake of the classic.

This movie was fabulous. The bad guys were sooooooo bad.
The costumes and sets and camera techniques were reminiscent of the ol' spaghetti Westerns I grew up watching on Sat afternoons.

A must see!
Old 07-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I just watched "Good Will Hunting" again.

What a great movie - it reminds me of living in Boston, those guys nailed it. Big place for Independence.

Up there, if you mess up driving, someone will hang out of their window and yell, "SMAHTEN UP'! YOU'LL GET A SMACK!"

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote