What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

UnrealizedPotential

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have been a fan of so many classic series it would fill a book. From the 50's to the 90's. Yet I really can't name any series or program that has grabbed my attention in at least the last ten years. So with all that said what new or recent series is anyone watching or would recommend giving it a try?

I am a bit tired of the old shows and would like to think there is something worth while I am missing. It could be comedy, drama, adventure, I don't care as long as it is entertaining and on a cable network or regular OTA TV network. Any suggestions?

Electric Dreams on Amazon. Stand alone episodes. Sort of Alfred Hitchcock meets artificial intelligence and virtual reality. Pretty cool.

Hit or miss on plot lines, tho, IMHO. I liked about 6 of the 10 available.

I've been watching Victoria on PBS lately and it's interesting, even though I generally don't like 'period' pieces. There are tons of good lists of best or most popular TV shows online, just search and see what interests you.

Many of the most popular TV series these days are not on cable/satellite or OTA, and that seems unlikely to change. They're on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO, Showtime, etc.

And though evidently outside the OP's 'cable or OTA' or 'series' prerequisites, I find myself subscribed to about 20 YouTube channels and watch YouTube as often as broadcast or on demand television. Some people don't realize how much quality content content is there, easily tailored to individual tastes. When 'there's nothing good on TV, I'm on YouTube or the TV is off.'

Changing landscape, for the better IME. FWIW

Edit: Note that many of the suggestions you are getting are not available on cable or OTA.

Last edited:
I need to check out The Vikings. I have added Bull to my must watch list and am also watching Victoria. I am wondering if the details of incidents in the Victoria story are factual or a script writer's creation.

...am also watching Victoria. I am wondering if the details of incidents in the Victoria story are factual or a script writer's creation.
Yes to both, as is the case with most 'based on actual events' shows. As the story begins 180 years ago, there is no way even Victoria's life was captured in the detail that appears in the show, so some dramatic license had to be taken. The major milestones are presumably accurate, most everything in between would have to be best guess and what works for drama?

https://www.romper.com/p/how-histor...masterpiece-drama-embellishes-the-facts-30318

Last edited:
I don't watch very much TV, but here are four shows I always try to catch:

Elementary (the new season hasn't started yet)
Supernatural
The X-Files (yes, it's back on)
Blindspot

I should probably add The Big Bang Theory to the list...

I don't watch very much TV, but here are four shows I always try to catch:

Elementary (the new season hasn't started yet)
Supernatural
The X-Files (yes, it's back on)
Blindspot

I should probably add The Big Bang Theory to the list...
I didn't realize Elementary was coming back (evidently Apr), clever show. Thanks!

Electric Dreams on Amazon. Stand alone episodes. Sort of Alfred Hitchcock meets artificial intelligence and virtual reality. Pretty cool.

Hit or miss on plot lines, tho, IMHO. I liked about 6 of the 10 available.

So far I have watched two of the ten episodes. The first was so-so, the 2nd was pretty good (What happens after nuclear war devastates the world but A*****'s automated factories keep sending out packages?)

If you have been out for 10 years....Breaking Bad. AMC is doing a 10th year anniversary marathon. Very very good show

Netflix Peaky Blinders. 1800's Britain gang from Birgingham. Have no idea if it is factual. But pretty good show. Although the last season wrap up seems like they may have jumped the shark a bit

Netflix Longmire. Friend of ours is one of the leading roles (Katee Sackhoff) I was a half dozen shows in before it clicked for me. But I enjoy Westerns.

OTA - "The Good Doctor" and "This Is Us". I also give +1 to "Victoria" but I like period shows - especially about the English monarchy.

So much good content if you can open the door to streaming.

Breaking Bad, Sopranos, The Wire, Game of Thrones
Vikings
House of Cards, The Americans, True Detective, Homeland, Rectify
Longmire
Outlander, Poldark
Stranger Things, The OA
Downton Abbey, A Place to Call Home, 800 Words, Janet King
Victoria, The Crown
Narcos
Sherlock
Dexter
Big Little Lies, This is Us
Ozark, Mindhunter
Death in Paradise
Fargo
Orange is the New Black
Mad Men
The Good Wife
Bloodline, Lillyhammer, Alias Grace

I have become seriously disenamored with modern fictional TV series and I don't follow any of them any more. They bore me and often seem preachy to me as well.

I consider myself a woodsman and have done a fair amount of wilderness canoe camping. I like “Life Below Zero” and my favorite is Chandalar.
IMG_0941.jpg

I consider myself a woodsman and have done a fair amount of wilderness canoe camping. I like “Life Below Zero” and my favorite is Chandalar.
View attachment 27704
Nag Geo reminds me to mention Genius last year, the first series was on Einstein over 9 episodes - we thought it was outstanding. Evidently the next Genius will be on Picasso, starting Apr 24 on cable/satellite and streaming.

Definitely "This is Us", and "The Good Fight" is coming back in 2 weeks.

I’ve been addicted to these murder mystery shows on the ID channel lately, Joe Kenda Homicide Hunter is my favorite, for new shows I’ve been watching 911 and LA to Vegas on Fox

I hesitated to make such a long post, but there really are some quality shows out there if you can find them. Some have already been mentioned below:

1) The Americans - what a fantastic show. I assume you lived through the cold war, you should like spy show.

2) House of Cards - really good and innovative political drama. Had me at the first episode.

3) Homeland - first time in years I watched a show/movie with two people sitting at a table talking for 10 minutes ...and was sitting on the edge of my seat. The acting was amazing.

4) Narcos - Yeah, just watch it. Superb. I really had no interest in Pablo or the subject matter, and I think the show is fantastic.

5) Dexter - Unbelievably innovative and creative if you can handle the subject matter. The trick is from the start, you actually LIKE the serial killer.

6) 30 for 30 - It's not quite what you asked for, but if you like sports at all this "series" is fantastic. Each episode is a mini movie covering a sports topic. Very well done and the stories are usually good.

7) Billions - Another drama with amazing acting. Basically about a US attorney who is trying to take down a billionaire hedgefund manager.

8) Brockmire - I love baseball and Hank Azaria.

9) The Good Place - New 1/2 hour comedy with Ted Danson. It is entertaining with some interesting lines.

10) Imposters - Gotta say, I really liked the first season and am hopeful for the second. About a female con artist

11) Lucifer - So, the devil has decided to come to Earth and stay for a while. Ohh, and he likes to help a police detective solve crimes. He's pretty much up front about the whole thing, telling people who he is.

12) Suits - might be my favorite on the list. A legal drama, but not your typical one.

13) White Collar - a con man/ art thief is busted by the FBI. He starts helping them solve cases (but is he really)

14) Boss - with Kelsey Grammer as the Mayor of Chicago. I still can't believe it was cancelled.

Last edited:
This truly is the Golden Age of television. Production values, acting, diversity of programming have never been better.

Currently watching Victoria and The Crown.
Did not follow them when the shows were new, but have recently been watching Mike and Molly, and How I Met Your Mother.
Two semi-old favorites: Northern Exposure and My So Called Life.

The Alienist. The first in the series was last week. Didn't really grab me but I'll give it another try this week. I never saw a show so heavily advertised before it started in my area. I'm a murder mystery fan.
OP did say "new" shows.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom