Join Early Retirement Today

What Old People Mean When They Say Millennials
Old 02-15-2017, 09:31 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What Old People Mean When They Say Millennials

Seems timely given the other get off my lawn thread...

https://youtu.be/dqd_ZBPTceY

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I found it ironic that he has his hair tucked up in the back like a young guy, but he's bald.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:01 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

To me he IS a millenial. BTW just to torture them, make them use a dial telephone.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did all that stuff on tape.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

That comedian is not a boomer, but perhaps a Gen-X'er.

From Wikipedia:
Millennials (also known as Generation Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years. Millennials, who are generally the children of baby boomers and older Gen Xers, are sometimes referred to as "Echo Boomers" due to a major surge in birth rates in the 1980s and 1990s.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:06 AM   #6

Seems so overly broad to me. I was born in 1980 in an early technology adopter household, and have more in common with those from 1960 than those in 2000.

I feel a generational divide once more than 10 years difference shows up. I've had my high school years before mobile phones, smartphones, the web, wikipedia, facebook, you name it. Someone born in 1995 has only known those things to exist. It's radically different. Internet billionaires only started existing after my childhood, now they are daily occurrence (sort of).

I grew up being bullied because I liked computers. Now MBAs no longer want to do investment banking, but join technology giants.

Just a few things.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:36 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

You are more in the Gen X.

From Wikipedia:
Generation X, or Gen X, is the demographic cohort following the Baby boomers. There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use the starting birth years ranging from the early-to-mid 1960s and ending birth years ranging from the late 1970s to early 1980s. Generation X is a relatively smaller demographic cohort sandwiched between two larger demographic cohorts, the Baby boomers and the Millennials.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-16-2017, 09:50 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep, he is a Gen Xer. He may have even had a PC or Mac class in high school and internet in college. Note: he said cassette tape, not 8 track tape (or record).
Dreaming of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:10 AM   #9

I guess, the last of the X'ers ..

Had my own PC though at 12 years old (C64 before that), internet halfway through highschool (web near the end). Indeed had programming classes in first two years of high school, already knew how to having dabbled in BASIC before that. Only a few kids in our town were at that point then.

In that case it doesn't sit well with me to define the early 1980 as the first millennial, my sister (1983) for example is still in the same category as me, as well as one niece (1981) and one nephew (1984). The ones born after 1990 have a different experience.

1985 and later makes more sense to me then. That way the web was there when they hit highschool, facebook and the IPhone before they left college.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:23 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

A Millennial, to me, is anyone born after WWII ended.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
A Millennial, to me, is anyone born after WWII ended.
Including all the boomers?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Including all the boomers?
If they're younger than me, they're kids, regardless of what they call themselves.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
My grand daughter did not want a phone in her room. She used her iPod Touch with WiFi to FaceTime all her friends. I met them and chatted with them even though we never "met".
Old 02-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Who are these "old people" he speaks about? I have an 89 year old friend who actively uses his smart phone. I also have a 70 year old friend who has an iPhone that he uses for speaking only! I have a local announcer who refers to people in their 50s as elderly.

Old is how you act not your numerical age.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
... Old is how you act not your numerical age.
I have been acting as a cranky geezer since at least the age of 40. My wife tells me this all the time.

If you act like one, you are one.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Enough already, everybody off my lawn.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

It's MY lawn!

Old 02-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It's MY lawn!
At an RV park in Puerto Peñasco, I recall a fellow having a sign outside his motorhome that went something like:

"Here lies John,
Cold and Hard.
Last guy who
walked through my yard."

Old 02-17-2017, 10:24 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

To me, the members of the post war Baby Boom generation are those who were born from 1945-1950, right after the WW2 veterans came home and were able to start their families. But nobody else agrees with that definition any more.

Millennials? I think I've got that wrong too. Born after 2000? I guess not.

As for becoming old, it's never too late to learn. Now that F has an LG smart phone like mine, we are learning how to text. It's easy with an icon right there on the smartphone, and we thought it was time that the two of us entered the 21st century. Before now, we didn't really know who to text but we have been texting one another sometimes.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I think you had a smartphone before I did, and you just learn to text?

My children have trained us to do "Hangout", which can be a group conversation.

It's useful and convenient as I can send both of them messages like "I am making Philly cheese steak sandwich Saturday at noon. Want to join us?"

They in turn occasionally send us photos of tricks they have trained their cats to do.