What paid subscriptions do you have?

dadu007

Recycles dryer sheets
Digital subscriptions, that is....

Today, after years of conscientiously limiting myself to 15 free NY Times articles a month (when logged in to their site) I finally caved and signed up for their "basic" plan (with a promo: the first 8 weeks free and $1.88/week for a year after that; cancel anytime). Yes, I know you can Google the title of an article and view it free and clear, but frankly, I'm worn down. I just want to view articles from the convenience of Twitter/FB/any other link and not have to weigh whether or not they go toward my monthly allocation. Plus, ageing. I feel like I'm old enough to splurge and spend a little coin on some digital subscriptions.

So here's what I pay for in the digital realm, and I'd love to hear what others subscribe to:

• NY Times digital access - $1.88/week (when that kicks in)
  • YouTube Red (love the lack of commercials and downloading/offline features) - $13.14/month (iOS version)
  • Amazon Prime - $99/year now (right?)
  • Evernote (Plus plan) - $24.99/year
  • Dashlane (password app that syncs across PCs and mobile devices) - $19.99/year
  • HP Ink - $3.14/month (I'm gonna count this a being in the digital realm; 50 printed pages a month, unused sheets rollover to the next month, ink shipped automatically. I have high-schoolers and am still weighing the merits of this...)
  • BackBlaze (cloud backup) - $99/every two years
BTW, I don't have a cable package; only OTA TV and internet, and no Netflix or Hulu either.

Amazon Prime, Money, Kiplinger's Personal Finance

Used to have WSJ Weekend edition but I let it lapse when we went to FL last winter and haven't missed it much.

Amazon Prime
Tivo
Netflix

No magazines (digital or print). No newpapers.

For the NYTimes firewall - and our local paper firewall... Once I hit the monthly quota I use a different browser. A family member ran for local office recently - and I kept hitting the quota for the local paper due to my google alerts on the other candidates. I learned the 2nd/3rd/4th browser trick pretty quickly.

Fortunately, we have some great local online newsites and I visit those daily... for free.

Amazon Prime
Value Line
Morningstar Dividend Investor

edit: forgot to add Netflix

Last edited:
Currently:
RTE Player International (will cancel when I've finished watching a specific series)
Amazon Prime (will cancel as I'm not using it enough to make it worthwhile)

At some time in the past:
Globeandmail.com
BBC Player
Netflix

Amazon Prime
Netfix (for four - $12.99/mo)
Kiplingers Mag - Me
Readers Digest (DW)
Comcast Cable (DW use 99% of time)
Houston Chronicle - delivered 5 days per week (DW 100%)
Handyman Mag - $12.99/yr (me)

Netflix: $10/mo, MLS Live: $65/year, SiriusXM Satellite Radio: $200/yr

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does the question include cable and internet:confused:

If so, then that is all I have... I am not interested in paying for any content etc.... I have read a few articles in the NYT, but I thought there was a limit of 10... and I have never hit that in any month...

As for Netflix or any of the other streaming companies, I already have way more content with Dish than I can watch.... no need to buy more...

Amazon Prime
Active Advantage (for race entries and gear discounts)
Consumer Reports (buying car and baby stuff this year)
Bicycling magazine
Wine Spectator (gift)
WSJ

That's basically it.

Here is our list, with prices of some of things we subscribe to.

Netfix (8.99 unless they increased it)
Kiplingers Mag (free)
Handyman Mag ($6.00)
Money Mag.
Health Mag
Real Simple Mag ($5.00)
O Mag (free)
Art & America
Family Circle (free)
Digital Photo (free)
Popular Photography (free)
Weight Watchers (free)
Afar Mag (600 mileage points)

I do not have any paid subscriptions. I have a few magazines I monitor via RegTag, that are free. ValueLine is the most recent that has value to me, and I do not have time to read it...

If I need a article from a website, I click the link in an "incognito window". It brings up the article sans cookies. And it works.

An alternative is to delete the cookies from that site in your browser, or open up a different browser (chrome vs. IE vs. FireFox)

I do have Amazon Prime and a DirectTV.

I have not had a paid subscription to anything for many years. I don't plan to start any time soon.

Netflix.
TiVo.
Economist (fan of the podcast version)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Zero paid, but . . .
We piggy back off a family members Hulu and Netflix memberships for our very limited viewing - maybe 2-3 hours a week? Roku at $0 for remainder, primarily PBS and Pandora.
And, though I cancelled my 25 years+ Better Homes & Garden magazine subscription last year, they are still downloading it digitally to me. Nowhere near as pleasant as looking at large magazine photos and recipes, but at 'free' I'll take it!

Amazon Prime
Acorn
Netflix
Comcast
Poets & Writers
Chicago Tribune (we like to read a newspaper cover to cover and the digital is pretty close to the real delivered-paper experience)

I also look at news.google.com every day.

Amazon Prime
Kelby Training (Photography courses, I'm grandfathered in at the old cheap price as long as I keep it.)
Consumer Reports Online
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Photoshop

Amazon Prime
Office 365
Adobe Creative Cloud
and a gagillion computer apps that require annual updates.

Back
Top Bottom