Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What Pastimes Are Fading/Failing With Aging Boomers?
Old 06-25-2017, 07:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Golf? Sailing/Boating? Tennis? Country Clubs? Harley-Davidsons? Corvettes? Other?

The median age for all of the above has increased considerably over the past 20-30 years, and some have already seen participation fall substantially. Younger generations aren't as interested, they have other interests. They aren't going to disappear overnight, and may always have niches, but I wonder how these and other traditional pastimes will fare once Boomers can't support them anymore?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Scuba diving. Although I suspect it will always have a core constituency, it has aged considerably.

Sons all see it as too slow paced/boring; maybe they'll change their minds once they hit their 30/40s? But, "back in the day," we hardly had the same reaction. Granted, that's anecdotal, but consistent with the stats....
Old 06-25-2017, 08:01 PM   #3
gone traveling

Sail boat racing is down significantly. Even in the relatively short 7-8 years I've been involved with the sport, I've seen the racing fleet shrink by almost 25%. Lack of funds and time are killing most hobbies in my humble opinion.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:04 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Golf seems like one that could have a very big impact even to some non-golfers. Fewer golfers mean some courses, including country clubs, will close. If you built a home on a golf course and it shuts down, suddenly your home value drops. Worse, they may develop the land the course was on, and instead of having a pleasant golf course view, you're now looking at a row of townhouses.

For awhile it seemed like skiing was giving way to snowboarding. I've wondered if resorts wound figure out how to accommodate boarders better, like somehow changing the lifts to be more convenient for them to get on and off of, at the expense of skiers, however that may be. But it seems like that trend has either stalled or reversed somewhat, from talking to the local ski resort management. I don't have a source with numbers.

Another one I've noticed is baseball (and other sport) card collecting. That was booming back in the 80s and early 90s, but has died down, along with prices. A few years ago I saw some piece on a TV show where they interviewed a guy around my age. He said when he got into the business (in his early 30s? I can't recall), he'd look around at the other dealer tables and he was the youngest. 20 years later, he'd look around, and he's still about the youngest. But collectibles ebb and flow, and it could come back again. I'd like that, but my cards are for my enjoyment rather than their value. Still, it's nice to know that what I spent so much of my allowance on as a kid really was a pretty good investment, or at least was for awhile.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Model Railroading.

The maker bent is going the way of robotics and raspberry pi. Modern diesels don't have the attracting panache of steam locomotives. Even if you are interested, why take up valuable basement space with a layout when you can VR it.

Okay, a bit rhetorical, but I see the dynamic in things like availability of parts.
ggbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:28 PM   #6

May be something of a small niche activity, but Hang Gliding has been dying a slow death since its heyday in the 1970s and 80s. From a peak of 30,000+ pilots with an average age of about 30 it's devolved over the last 30-35 years to fewer than 5000 averaging over 55. Give it another 20 years and it'll be gone.

Oh yeah, also slot car racing...
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:29 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Movie and live theater attendance.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:31 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Stamp collecting.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:31 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggbutcher View Post
Model Railroading.

The maker bent is going the way of robotics and raspberry pi. Modern diesels don't have the attracting panache of steam locomotives. Even if you are interested, why take up valuable basement space with a layout when you can VR it.

Okay, a bit rhetorical, but I see the dynamic in things like availability of parts.

Well, IMO this has gone downhill 40 years ago....

It is too much 'work' and after awhile it does get boring.... I used to do this when I was young... my dad did it his whole life... but at the end all he had was a 4X8 plywood with an oval track...

We used to do S gague.... had LOTS of track, LOTS of switches and could put a large layout in the garage and run 5 trains at a time... he sold almost all of it, but I have one train with some small amount of track somewhere around here... just do not know where...

I still have his favorite HO engine... the 4-8-8-4 Big Boy.... It is on a shelf in the living room for all to see... I do have the 4005 but mine is all black...

Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:34 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I would love to see the stats on movies... every time I go it seems like there are a lot of people...

Well, except for Father's day... DD and I went to see Wonder Woman and all the seats were taken for the 3D version at around 5PM... so we came home... I found it at a different theater at 10:30 so we decided to go there... We were the ONLY people in the theater!!! I told DD to tell her friends that we 'rented' out the whole theater and it was only us...

I will agree that live theater might be down, but I would bet that is not the case in NYC....
Old 06-25-2017, 08:36 PM   #11
Administrator

Hunting and fishing.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:38 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

My activity is bowling... the people I used to bowl with are a long way from here... but when I was working it was not a big deal to leave work and go there... now it is 35 miles there and back... plus most have moved on...

I could bowl around here, but last summer I did a summer stent and it was killing my fingers!!! I tried to adjust my throw and speed, but could not do it with the control I wanted... it took me 3 months to recover... the joints are not the same as when I was younger...
Old 06-25-2017, 08:52 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

We still like the occasional live theater performance, but going to the movies? Meh! We used to be wary of flicks (and show times) that might attract adolescents, but damn, boomer-filled cinemas are replete with loud-talkers these days, especially opinionated ones. I suspect the only thing keeping live theater audiences more or less appreciative of the actors onstage are the ticket prices.
I like to get lost in a movie. Sadly, that usually means watching it at home. But to the OPs question, I guess some boomers are causing movies to fail with other boomers.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:55 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Nobody goes to movies anymore, they are too crowded. -Yogi Berra (kind of)
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #15

Quote:

Not where we are. There are five local theater companies within a 45 minute drive. We have season tickets at one theater company. From what I've seen they are usually nearly sold out. We visited a friend participating in theater in Atlanta last year. The theater there was sold out too. The local high school performing arts center has a 1500 seat capacity. The high school musical usually sells out every show each year.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Nobody goes to movies anymore, they are too crowded. -Yogi Berra (kind of)
We've found a solution to crowded theaters that works for us. We attend on Sunday morning during the first scheduled showing (usually around 10 a.m.). Typically there are at most a handful of other people in the theater.
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:18 PM   #17

Pinochle. I cant find anyone 10 years younger than me that knows how to play.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:51 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I think bridge, the card game, may go the way of the dodo. I'm 48 and learning the game now, but I don't know anyone younger than me who plays.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:37 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I would love to see the stats on movies... every time I go it seems like there are a lot of people...I will agree that live theater might be down, but I would bet that is not the case in NYC....
I'm going by what I've read concerning nationwide stats and trends.

On movies in theaters: "With theater attendance at a two-decade low and profits dwindling, the kind of disruption that hit music, publishing, and other industries is already reshaping the entertainment business."
Source: Why Hollywood as We Know It Is Already Over | Vanity Fair

On performing arts: "New studies released today by the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) and based on surveys carried out in 2012 claim that arts attendance in the US has continued to drop over the past two decades, but both struggle to incorporate digital activities into their findings."
Source: https://hyperallergic.com/174175/us-...-studies-find/
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:50 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

One thing that is a problem with movies is the price...

We have a few theaters who have gone to the motorized couch... you can lay down and not worry about someone kicking you from behind... and like a Lay Z Boy... but it cost $13 and $16 for 3D...

Even regular seats are $10 and $13.... and if you want the IMAX experience it is (I am surprised) $13....

But, a popcorn is $6 for small and a soda is $5...

SOOO, to take a family of 4 is over $70 for tickets, drinks and a large popcorn...

Yea, I can see why attendance might be down.... BUT!!!! There still seems to be way too many people if you go during 'normal' times... which is why I try and go when others are not there...

OR, I go in an OLD dirty ragged out normal seat theater that charges $2... and again go when not that many are there so I have a row to myself... DD hates going, but DW will at times... but she always falls asleep no matter the price which is why I like the $2 theater...