Join Early Retirement Today

What Photo Storage Do You Use?
Old 01-31-2017, 06:56 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What Photo Storage Do You Use?

I really dislike Photobucket and am looking for another free photo storage/sharing idea. I'd like to use some of these gray icy (boring) days of winter to purge, rearrange, and re-store my photos. I've been with Photobucket for so long that I don't know the options. Anyone have recommendations? Thanks!
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2017, 07:51 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
I don't know photobucket, but I have experience with 500px, and don't recommend it. 500px is rapidly turning into yet-another “social” beehive that does nothing to differ itself from others. It no longer appears to pursue high-quality images; instead, it seems to be doing everything to invite more and more photographers, whose work is, shall we say, just not that good. The average lifespan of any new upload is under 1 hour – after that, your work drowns in myriads of new uploads. The “Pulse”, the 500px rating system, is heavily rigged and in no way reflects the real popularity of your photos, and even less, their merits. Rather, it reflects a member’s networking skills and/or use of bots. You may still see many good photos on 500px, but don’t expect too much in terms of exposure/promotion. If 500px goes on doing what it does, it will very soon become the next instagram.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:23 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I have Amazon Prime and get free unlimited photo storage. Also have iCloud and have some photos on Shutterfly for projects I have done. I have multiple external back-up drives, too.

cd :O)
Chris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #4

Google Photos is free. Works well for my needs.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:28 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My iPhone is my camera nowadays. All my photos are uploaded to iCloud and are available on all my Apple devices. If I want to share a specific folder I can do so via iCloud photo sharing. I do pay a couple of dollars every month for storage, but only because I want to keep thousands of photos and videos collected over the past decade. Free storage would be fine if you have a smaller collection.

Edited to add: Google Photos is good too. Nice to have a backup. And my photos just appear there as if by magic.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
+1
I've long ago stopped thinking of my photos as works of art and acknowledged that they're just glorified Instamatic snapshots.

Google photos. Nice search function as well.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:55 AM   #7

I'll check out google photos. Thanks!
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:57 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have a few thousand photos on Flickr
Old 01-31-2017, 09:01 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Does just putting photos in a folder on a hard drive count? As that's what I do .
Old 01-31-2017, 09:01 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I've long ago stopped thinking of my photos as works of art and acknowledged that they're just glorified Instamatic snapshots.

Google photos. Nice search function as well.
Yep, agree with the Instamatic comment. I don't take all that many photos nowadays and they are all with my phone now.

The photos I keep in private storage are just in a tree of Windows folders. One folder is "vacations" with the results stored in alphabetical order. So the first one might be "(A) Paris, 2003". This way when one looks at the folder with File Explorer, the results are in chronological order.

Relying on a photo storing app seems to me too dependent on that company's business model.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:13 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Does just putting photos in a folder on a hard drive count? As that's what I do .
+1, that's what I do too. Pics don't take up that much HD space. I've got about 2500 pics, many hi-res, but the space they take up pales in comparison to my video library.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1, that's what I do too. Pics don't take up that much HD space. I've got about 2500 pics, many hi-res, but the space they take up pales in comparison to my video library.
That isn't sufficient for me. DW and I take 2-3 trips a year with DSLR's shooting raw + JPEG and we come back with that many shots each time. I can only keep about 2 trips worth at a time on top of the music and other things we have on the hard drive. We keep out photos backed up on a pair of 4 terabyte external drives, so if one drive dies, we can recover from the other.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
That isn't sufficient for me. DW and I take 2-3 trips a year with DSLR's shooting raw + JPEG and we come back with that many shots each time. I can only keep about 2 trips worth at a time on top of the music and other things we have on the hard drive. We keep out photos backed up on a pair of 4 terabyte external drives, so if one drive dies, we can recover from the other.
And a 4T drive costs what? About $100-150 these days. So get a few as needed. If you're deep into DSLR photography then paying a bit for RAW storage is part of the game (and a whole lot cheaper than your lens collection I'd bet).

As far as the OP's question goes, I also have a few thousand JPEGs on Flickr. It's not the greatest system, but it works and it's free.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:16 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Storage: My photos only take up 2.3 GB (not TB). I store them on my laptop hard drive, and back them up weekly onto onsite and offsite external storage devices that I own and that are physically under my control. I am still not trusting/confident enough in online options to go full bore into cloud storage. Maybe some day. This is probably a symptom of getting old.

Sharing: I use any one of several free photo sharing websites if/when needed. I don't focus on any one of them, really, and don't intentionally use them for storage.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
And a 4T drive costs what? About $100-150 these days. So get a few as needed. If you're deep into DSLR photography then paying a bit for RAW storage is part of the game (and a whole lot cheaper than your lens collection I'd bet).

As far as the OP's question goes, I also have a few thousand JPEGs on Flickr. It's not the greatest system, but it works and it's free.
I also keep my photos on local hard disks and also on flash drives. With a 256 gb flash drive costing about $60 it makes an excellent backup medium.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:26 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I store all of mine on an external hard drive, and publish ones I want to share on Flickr
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:47 AM   #17

I keep all mine on an internal HD, with a backup stored separately. I run a backup every few weeks. Photos I wish to share, I do so on Pbase. At the time I started using Pbase, the look of the other photo sharing sites didn't appeal (many of them still don't). I'm not really bothered about sharing my photos anymore, but keep the Pbase account in order that I can show photos on my blog by linking to photos on it.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:52 AM   #18

I keep mine on the HD, backed up every week or so, or when I shoot a lot at some family gathering. I have two external one TB drives that I alternate.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
+1
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:49 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
I also keep my photos on local hard disks and also on flash drives. With a 256 gb flash drive costing about $60 it makes an excellent backup medium.

+1
I use a couple of flash drives so I have duplicate copies. With the new USB 3.0 drives they are a lot faster than the old usb drives, so that helps.

I don't like online cloud storage, as the upload/download speeds can be slow, and for photo sites, how do I know they keep the original resolution ?
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote