Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What podcast episode have you heard lately?
Old 03-11-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
Administrator

There are lots of very good podcasts, but too many to hear them all. There might be specific episodes that members enjoy. So, what interesting podcast episode have you heard lately?

I enjoyed this interview with Judith Grisel on Fresh Air,
Quote:
The Neuroscience Of Addiction
Growing up, Judith Grisel struggled with alcohol, marijuana and cocaine. Now, as a neuroscientist, she's working to understand the biological basis of addiction. Her new book is 'Never Enough.' Grisel talks about how various drugs affect the brain, and her own experience with addiction. Grisel has been clean and sober for 30 years.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I recently listened to and thoroughly enjoyed a podcast called The Dropout. It's about Elizabeth Holmes and the Theranos scandal. Looking forward to the upcoming HBO documentary on the same subject, called The Inventor.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:15 PM   #3

Kate Bowler's Everything Happens podcast is great, but I think the episode where she interviews Alan Alda is a must listen for anyone in the medical profession and also anyone who might ever get sick or have to help an ill family member: Can you hear me now?
It's about communication (or the lack thereof) between medical professionals and patients - an area Alan Alda has worked extensively in recently.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
gone traveling

All of the episodes of Mobituaries with Mo Rocca have been really good so far.

I like the "JFK Impersonator Vaughn Meader: Death of a Career" episode. Perhaps because I remember them both fairly well.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:34 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Brady Heywood Podcast.

A 5-part techno-geek series on the Apollo 13 mission.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:51 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

about the only podcast i listen to regularly is this

https://nabtrade.podbean.com

made with Australian investors in mind ( especially that bank's clients ) but might have insights for international investors

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:13 PM   #7

1) Bear brook - Decades old crime, the birth of DNA testing, ... And some very interesting good guy characters. So very enjoyable
2) Criminal so many interesting stories ..
3) Choose FI because they preach the life I lived
4) Stacking Benjamins same as #3
5) The Moth because people, their lives and experiences are interesting. Especially told by those who lived it.
6) this American life because like #5 great stories. Interesting topics
7) side hustle because entrepreneurship is of interest to me.

Great topic MichaelB I would love to find more interesting Podcasts - its like walking while having a chat with a good friend.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:17 PM   #8

Mo Rocca's 'Mobituaries' and the Frangela duo's 'Idiot of the Week'

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #9
Administrator

Drove up to see DD+fam this weekend and had lots of podcast time. The two I liked best,of the recent FT Alphachat sessions: Immigration (3/22) and Brexit (3/29). No policy advocacy or ideology, just very good background and analysis.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:04 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I’ve been enjoying Planet Money podcasts
Old 04-07-2019, 07:36 PM   #11

Dan Carlin's Hard Core History

The Six Part series on WWI, which combined is the length of a big audio book, is simply fantastic.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:50 AM   #12

Podcast keep my exercise walking from being boring and bam 60 minutes goes by like nothing.

The latest episode of Criminal is the story of a Sylvan Simmons framed by a violent, fast on the trigger, lying police officer. Sylvan was shot several times and then the police planted a gun and doctored then evidence. The Jury found Sylvan innocent of all charges except 1 gun charge that the judge reversed to innocent.

It is an outrage that no police were prosecuted ... Great stories evoke emotion .. this one did. By the way this isn’t an indictment of all police just one department with some unscrupulous players.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:07 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

A good listen is Joe Kenda talking about why he retired. I really could relate.
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #14

I listen to 2-3 podcasts a day. Planet Money, Ted Radio Hour, Fresh Air, The Peoples' Pharmacy, Hidden Brain, Radio Lab, Invisiblia, 1A and a few more. Makes my walks and cleaning much more fun.
Michael Lewis has a new podcast "Against the Rules" I just subscribed yesterday.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I recently listened to and thoroughly enjoyed a podcast called The Dropout. It's about Elizabeth Holmes and the Theranos scandal. Looking forward to the upcoming HBO documentary on the same subject, called The Inventor.
Thanks for recommending The Dropout - it was outstanding. I listened to it while pruning perennials and doing other yard work and it made the time fly.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Thanks for recommending The Dropout - it was outstanding. I listened to it while pruning perennials and doing other yard work and it made the time fly.
You're quite welcome. FYI, the HBO movie (The Inventor) that I mentioned in my earlier post was not as engaging as the podcast. It covered much of the same ground, but left out many important and interesting details. The only really compelling thing about it was that it gave a "face" to all the voices and people in the podcast.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:33 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

The After- science and SciFI
Invest like the Best
Joe Rogan - selectivity

John Batchlor
The Knowledge Project - This one is fantastic
Meb Faber
Money for the Rest of US - very good
The Space Show
Tim Ferris - Fantastic also
Intelligence Matters
Old 08-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #18

Two "special series" (not weekly shows) I've found recently:

- 13 Minutes to the Moon (BBC): Space geeks will especially enjoy this. 11 episodes going into depth on the 1969 Apollo 11 moon landing, including interviews with astronauts, flight controllers, engineers, etc, and lots of historical audio (including the last 13 minutes of the landing process as heard in Mission Control). Very well done.

- In the Dark (APM): For true crime and justice fans. 13 episodes so far (with more coming as the story has evolved) covering the 6 trials of Curtis Flowers in Mississippi for a 1996 murder. I'm not done with this one yet but it's fascinating, disturbing, and gripping.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #19

Ron Burgundy
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/the-r...cast-30270227/
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #20
Administrator

Here's one to skip. Morningstar "The Long View". They just started this in June and the first guests are folks that would interest most members here, such as Rick Ferri, Michael Kitces and James Montier. The questions are not insightful, though, and Christine Benz never really gets deep into a topic. A real missed opportunity IMO.