Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I haven't used an umbrella in decades. Darned fussy things, that are always breaking, have to be held out of other people's way, and that turn inside out with a gust of wind. I carry a rain jacket with a drawstring hood in the car.

I think leather briefcases and clipboards may be obsolete. They have been replaced with nylon carriers for electronic devices. OTOH, to me, the prevalence of backpacks makes everybody look like giant kids.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Damned if I know... I have two London Fog raincoats that I haven't worn in ten years... Keeping them to put in the local museum.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Careful about ditching paper maps and relying on your phone. I was on a trip last year organized by others, and we hit a closed road or got lost or something in the NC mountains with no phone signal, so no maps. I haven't pulled out my maps in awhile, but I still keep them in my car just in case.
Every so often you read about a truck being to tall for an underpass it tries to go thru in the UK. Then there was the couple that followed their GPS into darkest northern nevada way off road, and got stuck (Rowland NV in particular). Of course I spend time at a geologic field camp so I did learn to read paper maps well. I plan the route before hand, and if you shunpike you can find places to pull off and read maps. (The country is more interesting by shunpiking)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Paper checks are close. Occasionally I have to give a check to an individual where there is no other option but it is down to 1 maybe 2 checks a month.

Agree about traditional books. I do still have some that don't come in electronic format that are favorites but when we moved into our current house we made a huge push to replace any book we could with Kindle books.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
With this gang I am surprised that slide rule abacus wasn't mentioned.

Fixed that for ya !
Old 10-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Agree with most of midpack's list...my kids still use calculators which are required for certain classes (graphing calculator).
I've heard that some private schools are using iPad apps for that now, and an iPad is a 9th-grade purchase to be used over the next four years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
With this gang I am surprised that slide rule wasn't mentioned.
I wish I could get something for them on eBay. I should probably mail them to my brother for him to apply his Etsy.com expertise.

By the way, I'm still using my midshipman TI-55 III calculator 30+ years later. I had to repaint a few of the keys with whiteout... although I've been using it long enough that I hardly need to look at the keys anymore.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Soon, everything will be obsolete, when all we need is an RJ-45 to connect our brain to the Matrix.

Ooops! That is already outdated. Make it an implanted Blue Tooth Version 9.3 that runs off our blood glucose. No need for travel, iPhone, iPad, iAnything. We will stay connected and share our thoughts and experiences all the time with one another. Just close your eyes and you will be there. Anyone can experience exotic places, good food, and interesting activities.

As early as 1983, there was this movie Brainstorm that was based on the above premise. Someone brought this movie up in a recent thread.

Brainstorm (1983) - IMDb

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Those big old heavy, heavy huge televisions...before flat screens? We purchased them for our kids years ago for Christmas. They were still in the house because, well, because they were so heavy.

At yard sale this weekend, we sold one for $2.00 and gave the other one away. We were SO HAPPY to be rid of them---and i think they cost us about $350 each.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I still use paper maps (I like the challenge, it exercises my brain).

I use a calculator when doing finances for one-off calculations because it is faster than pulling it up on the desktop PC. I don't have a phone with apps.

But I still agree with the list.

We recently sold a popcorn maker at a garage sale. It -- and a microwave bacon tray -- were the first things to go.

My addition to the list? Crank windows on cars. So much stuff that used to be extra has basically become standard, with some rare exceptions. Much of this change in the last 10 years.

That would be:
  • Sound systems (obsoletes radio only cars)
  • Electric windows (obsoletes crank windows)
  • A/C (obsoletes heater only cars)
  • Power steering (obsoletes manual steering)
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

One thing I hope NEVER becomes obsolete is the automobile manual transmission. Two of my vehicles have this feature.
I despise driving a car with an automatic transmission, especially in snow and ice.
A manual tranny could become an unintentional auto theft deterrent.
How many young people know how to use a stick shift these days?
Old 10-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I caught a glimpse of a video the other day where a guy tried to steal a truck but didn't get far because he didn't know how to drive a stick. Funny.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
One thing I hope NEVER becomes obsolete is the automobile manual transmission. Two of my vehicles have this feature.
I despise driving a car with an automatic transmission, especially in snow and ice.
A manual tranny could become an unintentional auto theft deterrent.
How many young people know how to use a stick shift these days?
I taught my kids to drive in the same vehicle I learned in, a 1938 Ford Two-Ton. Of course it had a manual tranny. They did Ok, both can drive a "crash box", can you?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I taught my kids to drive in the same vehicle I learned in, a 1938 Ford Two-Ton. Of course it had a manual tranny. They did Ok, both can drive a "crash box", can you?
By the time our daughter and I mutually agreed to end her manual-transmission training, our '97 Altima darn near was a crash box.

For some inexplicable reason she didn't care about learning how to double-clutch or do donuts, either, even after I assured her that she'd be a guy magnet.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #33

My old vinyl record albums and CDs, now that I have everything on my computer.
Speaking of computers, how long do you think desktops will be around?
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Any recording device that uses tape including movie camera, cassette recorder, answering machine.
Good one here. My last VCR died a few years ago and the main reason I made no effort to replace it was I could catch nearly all of the shows I would have taped on line. And when my last answering machine died a few years ago (it used a microcassette tape) I replaced with a tapeless version which works a whole lot better.

Floppy diskettes are pretty much passe, especially with new PCs not even having a floppy drive. Thumb drives are so much better. Even data CDs are going that route, too (as another poster mentioned).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
By the time our daughter and I mutually agreed to end her manual-transmission training, our '97 Altima darn near was a crash box.

For some inexplicable reason she didn't care about learning how to double-clutch or do donuts, either, even after I assured her that she'd be a guy magnet.
Some guys just don't know what an attractive young lady is. It's also possible that they don't know how to drive.

DD holds a record AFAIK. Came over the hill kinda quick, saw the mounties too late, braked, got pulled over. Cop says "good brakes on your car". She says "huh?". He says "zapped you 3 times, 160, 140 and 110" (all in KPH). He says "license and registration please", she hands it over. He says "you're an RCMP sargeant?" She says "huh?". He says "slow down". At the time she was a civilian employee of the RCMP. Says she may have had too many pieces of paper with the license and registration, DW says "did he get a date?".

DD's name is Mary. Her friends call her Andretti.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Retail stores...except stores that sell clothes and shoes (I want to try them on to check the fit) and stores that sell perishable food.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Transistor radio/walkman/cd player
Department store credit cards
Full service gas stations
Non-digital cameras and film processing
Video stores
Alarm clocks
Non-electronic socializing
Paper and pen
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I only wish FAX machines were totally obsolete. I got rid of mine when I found that the printer in which resided didn't play nice with my new computer. Since then I've had a number of interfaces with companies that do not do email attachments and insist on sending / receiving faxes. And no, my Windows 7 doesn't have FAX capability like the XP platform did.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Paper checks are close.
Good one, very rare for us too. I have to stop and think when I write one these days it's so infrequent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Crank windows on cars.
Another goodie. They're rare. DW rented an economy car a few months back and spent a few seconds looking for the window up/down button before noticing the crank handle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
My old vinyl record albums.
Sold all mine at a garage sale years ago, though I know some audiophiles still covet them with their turntables (also obsolete for me, just threw ours in the trash years ago).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
Non-electronic socializing
As much as I welcome/embrace technology, I think we're all in trouble if "actual" socializing becomes obsolete, I hope not...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #40

Typewriters. Hard to believe but some people still use them.

Some of the items listed we still use whether we want to or not, like sending/receiving faxes last week. But I had to RTFM to get the printer fax to work since I'd never used it. It's been about ten years since I'd sent/received a fax.

I keep a hand calculator in a bedroom drawer just because sometimes that's easier than going to the PC.

I'll have a desktop (well, tower anyway) computer with a large display for photo editing for the foreseeable future. Easier to fix/upgrade and we just don't have a need for a laptop. All the stuff I use with it collectively with is not portable - photo scanner, two printers, and a Wacom tablet. We have a large L-shape corner desk for all the stuff, and we do use it.