Join Early Retirement Today

What products/services are already obsolete to you NOW?
Old 10-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What products/services are already obsolete to you NOW?

Just for fun - what products or services have become obsolete from your perspective in the past 5-10 years (no need to list the abacus or buggywhip)? The answers won't be universal of course, and hopefully members will refrain from listing products or services they anticipate becoming obsolete - what no longer has a place in your life NOW? In no particular order...
  • landline phone - haven't had one for years, and never will again.
  • road atlas - between GPS and online maps, why would anyone carry around a paper map or road atlas anymore? GPS is hands free, trying to read a map at 60 mph is downright dangerous, and you can't pull over and look in many places (the Dan Ryan for example).
  • newspapers & magazines - I know this one sparks (heated) debate, but we haven't taken a newspaper in almost 10 years and almost as long for magazines. It may take generations, but I don't see how they can survive in physical form for long. Physical books may take longer to disappear, if ever.
  • popcorn (that doesn't come prepackaged for the microwave) - we finally threw away our popcorn maker in the last wave of decluttering, we coulnd't remember the last time we use it vs microwave popcorn.
  • hand held calculator - we have a few around, but I can't imagine every buying another. I use my phone more often than not, or the iPad or PC when in hand.
  • wrist watch - again, many of us carry our phones most of the time (and more will as time passes IMO). It gives more accurate time than most wrist watches. These days, a wrist watch is really just jewelry IMO. I've let the batteries go dead on all my watches (I need to sell the valuable ones on eBay...).
  • phone books - found one in my driveway yesterday, like everyone else in the neighborhood (and that's what prompted this post). I just throw them away as soon as we get them nowadays, and I wish I could stop them (what a waste of resources), but we never know who is going to distribute them or when. With the internet and smartphones, I can find phone numbers all over the world - why do I need a paper copy of phone numbers that covers just the city and surrounding area I live in?
  • travel agents - nothing against the profession, but I'd rather see everything that's available instead of having someone narrow the choices for me, so online is the only way we've traveled (domestic & foreign) for at least 10 years. I'd rather not pay a markup for a travel agent either (it's there no matter what people try to claim).
I could go on, but.

And there are other products and services we can all probably see going away within the next 10 years (like wallets)...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Funny, I'm actually looking for an old school style of popcorn maker (the kind with the spinning bottom). I want one for coffee roasting.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

That's a great start... agreed with all...
so, now...
  1. Fax Machine
  2. Software that isn't free
  3. Books
  4. CRT Monitors
  5. CRT TV's
  6. Raincoats
  7. CD's
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hm... I still have and or use all those things.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Male enhancement products...

This is what my popcorn popper looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saucepan_826.jpg (23.1 KB, 4 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
That's a great start... agreed with all...

so, now...
  1. Fax Machine
  2. Software that isn't free
  3. Books
  4. CRT Monitors
  5. CRT TV's
  6. Raincoats
  7. CD's
I get all that except what replaced raincoats exactly?

Old 10-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #7

HFWR - that's just like a popcorn popper!
I don't like the microwave stuff - too salty, too much hydrogenated oil...

My list:
- Phone books
- fax machine (Though we still have one... it's part of the printer/scanner.)
- VCR player. (What did we do before Tivo? Yikes.)
- record player/tape player/cd player. (Just stream or play mp3's now.)
- stamps and checks. Ok... not quite - but getting close. I write about 10 checks a year now... and use about that many stamps outside of christmas cards.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I get all that except what replaced raincoats exactly?
Damned if I know... I have two London Fog raincoats that I haven't worn in ten years... Keeping them to put in the local museum.

Other than construction workers, do you see people wearing raincoats?

Must admit I'm not very fashion conscious... Only time I've worn a suit in the past 15 years, was to funerals.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded
Funny, I'm actually looking for an old school style of popcorn maker (the kind with the spinning bottom). I want one for coffee roasting.
I just got on off Amazon.com. Whirley pop. Works like a charm, and no hydrogenated chemical nastiness. .
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Agree with most of midpack's list...my kids still use calculators which are required for certain classes (graphing calculator).
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #11

I'd add:

- Paper books.
- Software that you buy at the store. (Download/software as a service instead)
- dvd players (it is all "in the cloud")
- movie theaters (download at home, make your own popcorn. We are already doing this. Some titles get released to Xbox prior to the theaters!)
- traditional cable providers

SIS
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Damned if I know... I have two London Fog raincoats that I haven't worn in ten years... Keeping them to put in the local museum.

Other than construction workers, do you see people wearing raincoats?

Must admit I'm not very fashion conscious... Only time I've worn a suit in the past 15 years, was to funerals.
How do you keep dry in the rain?

People wear raincoats, or more often rain jackets here all the time. I donated my London Fog raincoat a few years ago, but simply because it was old and looking sort of beat up. I replaced it with a sporty looking zippered rain jacket with hood. When it is windy and raining, an umbrella may not be practical so I like some sort of coat or jacket to keep dry. Since it is hot here, I use a light jacket made simply for rain instead of an all weather jacket.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Any recording device that uses tape including movie camera, cassette recorder, answering machine.
Incandescent light bulbs. We've fully switched to LED with the occasional CFL in a lamp or two
Recipe cards. All of my recipes are electronically stored in DropBox.
Books made from paper. I still have some but haven't bought or borrowed any from the library in several years.
A Watch that has to be wound.
HVAC thermostat that isn't programmable
Radio with preset stations - I listen to Pandora
Television news - haven't watched the news in years. Read online news when the mood strikes
Commercials - skip right through them with TiVo. I won't watch live TV...it's just too painful
Stand alone GPS unit - I use various apps on my iPad
Roadmap in paper form - replaced with the iPad
Old 10-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #14
Confused about dryer sheets

I've actually got rid money. I found I can just use my credit card
homes man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

With this gang I am surprised that slide rule wasn't mentioned.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
HFWR - that's just like a popcorn popper!
I don't like the microwave stuff - too salty, too much hydrogenated oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortInSeattle View Post
I just got on off Amazon.com. Whirley pop. Works like a charm, and no hydrogenated chemical nastiness. .
I agree on the trans fats, but as you probably know there are still several options, for example. I will concede that old school popcorn tastes better though, just not worth the fuss for us.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
With this gang I am surprised that slide rule wasn't mentioned.
Presumably we relinquished our slide rules more than 10 years ago...mine died in 1974 when I bought a Texas Instruments SR-50, seemed amazing at the time...looks really primitive now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sr-50.jpg (43.5 KB, 2 views)

Old 10-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded
Go to Target - I bought one there a week ago. I go through one every couple of years. I like it better than microwaved.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Careful about ditching paper maps and relying on your phone. I was on a trip last year organized by others, and we hit a closed road or got lost or something in the NC mountains with no phone signal, so no maps. I haven't pulled out my maps in awhile, but I still keep them in my car just in case.

I actually sent a fax last week. I still use a few of those other things occasionally. Not a calculator though, that one fits the criteria for me. Hiking boots too. Trail shoes do everything I need and are a lot more comfortable.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I own one of these manual crank types. It is fabulous!

Sportsman Old Fashioned Popcorn Maker STPOP - product summary - Bing Shopping