Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Well, thanks for the info... how do you do lossless conversions
iTunes (and others) let you choose how much compression you want up to none (lossless). I can't hear the difference (especially with 58 yo ears), and I seriously doubt most people can when listening in a car, through earbuds, or an iPod dock of some sort. You can choose in iTunes settings, but IIRC lossless files are about 10X the size of the most common mp3/AAC compression files.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (64.6 KB, 3 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

And then
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.3 KB, 3 views)

Old 10-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

The tv guide magazine. Who would ever need that now? The guide is on directv, cable, and on smartphones/tablets.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
... I can't hear the difference (especially with 58 yo ears), and I seriously doubt most people can when listening in a car, through earbuds, or an iPod dock of some sort. ...

but IIRC lossless files are about 10X the size of the most common mp3/AAC compression files.
Close, some lossless formats (Like the open source FLAC, or Apple's ALAC/ALE) reduce the file size by ~ 1/2, w/o any losing data. So closer to ~ 5x the size of a 128Kbs mp3.

1411 kbps for raw CD format, ~ 1/2 for lossless, around 700kbps.

So by the time you get to the higher quality mp3, say 192 or 320 kbps, you haven't saved that much from lossless.

But even if one thinks they can't hear the difference, it's good to keep an original lossless file- you can recreate any bit rate or format from that 'master' later, for whatever purpose.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
RE: Vinyl records and CDs...

I've actually compared the compressed mp3 by inverting it and subtracting it from the original. You play that and you hear what is missing - it is like a weird echo/ghost of the original. All that detail is missing from the music. It's not the same. Much of the 'life' has been sucked out of it.

-ERD50

Can you tell me how to do this inverting and subtraction? Can it be done on iTunes or Audacity? I've already converted my audio files but am curious about what was lost.

When I did convert my music collection, I did a test where I'd take the uncompressed song and compare it with the compressed mp3 file using headphones. I determined that, when I was using headphones and listening closely, I could tell a difference, but it was very minor. On some songs, I could not make out any difference, though.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Forms that require the use of a No. 2 pencil to fill in circles
A short but easy to read description is here
http://www.howeverythingworks.org/page1.php?QNum=1529

J*b applications in hardcopy format

Cartridge pens (Shaefer brand, I think)
Click/spring type ballpoint pens

Almost but not quite gone the way of the dodo bird...coin operated telephone booths and US Postal Service metal mailboxes on public streets
Old 10-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Can you tell me how to do this inverting and subtraction? Can it be done on iTunes or Audacity? I've already converted my audio files but am curious about what was lost.

When I did convert my music collection, I did a test where I'd take the uncompressed song and compare it with the compressed mp3 file using headphones. I determined that, when I was using headphones and listening closely, I could tell a difference, but it was very minor. On some songs, I could not make out any difference, though.

I used Audacity, so it looks like you are set.

1) Load the original WAV or FLAC in one set of stereo tracks

2) Load the compressed file in a 2nd set of stereo tracks.

3) Invert one set.

4) Mix and Render. Play the result.

I just did a test on Jeff Beck's Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, but just used a high quality compression versus low quality (the original FLAC is on another drive in the other room, and I am lazy). I got mostly weird cymbal crash sounds and some other drum hit sounding things.

As I said earlier, it's actually tough for me to hear the difference in an A-B, but it does seem to become noticeable to me over time. Apparently, all that stuff missing from the sound just makes it kind of life-less. Some kinda spooky echo-y sounds too.

I've heard some people say this is just phase-shift, that you wouldn't hear it as a difference w/o that reference. Maybe, but when I zoom in bit-by-bit, the phase relationships look extremely close. And some of these difference amplitude are about half scale. That would take a full 90 degree phase shift.

It could be in my mind, it's pretty hard to really test this thoroughly. I suppose I could have a random playlist selection, note my impression after 20 minutes, and repeat that a bunch of times and see if I guessed right. But that would be work, and the extra disk space really isn't an issue for me, and I'd want to keep the raw original anyhow if I had to re-encode. So I just listen to FLAC normally, except when I move something to a portable player for causal use.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes
Those big old heavy, heavy huge televisions...before flat screens? We purchased them for our kids years ago for Christmas. They were still in the house because, well, because they were so heavy.

At yard sale this weekend, we sold one for $2.00 and gave the other one away. We were SO HAPPY to be rid of them---and i think they cost us about $350 each.
I still have mine from 1997. Works fine. Almost never watch it, except for Olympics and such. It's in the spare room, where it doesn't take up valuable space in the living room.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
Some guys just don't know what an attractive young lady is. It's also possible that they don't know how to drive.

DD holds a record AFAIK. Came over the hill kinda quick, saw the mounties too late, braked, got pulled over. Cop says "good brakes on your car". She says "huh?". He says "zapped you 3 times, 160, 140 and 110" (all in KPH). He says "license and registration please", she hands it over. He says "you're an RCMP sargeant?" She says "huh?". He says "slow down". At the time she was a civilian employee of the RCMP. Says she may have had too many pieces of paper with the license and registration, DW says "did he get a date?".

DD's name is Mary. Her friends call her Andretti.
There's a hill in Saskatchewan? Who knew! LOL
Old 10-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #70

ice cube trays
yellow pages
operator assisted calls
Old 10-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana
ice cube trays
yellow pages
operator assisted calls
I, the pleb, still use ice cube trays, and I'm sure many LBYMs do too.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #72
Administrator

List of things I own and still use regularly:

1. Rotary dial phones
2. Vinyl records and turntable
3. Tube amplifier
4. Manual typewriter
5. Wind up mechanical alarm clock
6. Wristwatch
7. Paper maps
8. Paper appointment calendar
9. Paper books
10. Cars with manual transmission
11. Paper checks
12. Fancy Waterman pen to sign my checks
13. Analog thermometer
14. Hand cranked meat grinder
15. Hand cranked pasta maker
Old 10-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I only wish FAX machines were totally obsolete. I got rid of mine when I found that the printer in which resided didn't play nice with my new computer. Since then I've had a number of interfaces with companies that do not do email attachments and insist on sending / receiving faxes. And no, my Windows 7 doesn't have FAX capability like the XP platform did.
Windows Fax and Scan software is includes in all of the windows 7 versions. As long as you have supported hardware, here is a link to set it up.

Set up your computer to send and receive faxes
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:44 AM   #74
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Lots of great reasons:
Those may be great reasons for you to do it, but they're not for me.
Eliminating wear & tear comes close, but we've always taken better than average care of our vinyl, and offhand I can't think of one that we've had to replace for wear & tear (other reasons, yes, but not w&t).
Tyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I, the pleb, still use ice cube trays, and I'm sure many LBYMs do too.
+1 We just bought a new refrigerator, and DW insisted on saving the $200 for an automatic icemaker + added energy cost.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:55 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
List of things I own and still use regularly:

1. Rotary dial phones
We would if the phone company hadn't changed the dialtone to digital-only. We held out until we had to make an outgoing call one day...

Don't have a wind-up clock, but I have & use a wind-up pocket watch. (Does that kill 2?)

I'm with ya on everything else except maybe the typewriter. We have one, but haven't used it, and I admit I have been seduced by the dark side of MS Office...
Old 10-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
ice cube trays
yellow pages
operator assisted calls
I, also, still use ice cube trays and the yellow pages along with my LPs and CDs. I don't think I will ever be willing to store anything important in the cloud.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #78

Dwell meters.

Even my lawn mower has a form of electronic ignition.

How to Use a Tach Dwell Meter | eHow.com
Old 10-25-2012, 07:40 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But even if one thinks they can't hear the difference, it's good to keep an original lossless file- you can recreate any bit rate or format from that 'master' later, for whatever purpose.
Since everything I've ripped to iTunes is from CD's I own, I'll always have a lossless source, don't need another taking up filespace on my HD, iPad, iPods...what am I missing?

Old 10-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Windows Fax and Scan software is includes in all of the windows 7 versions. As long as you have supported hardware, here is a link to set it up.

Set up your computer to send and receive faxes
Thanks. My computer does not have a FAX modem. Maybe one more thing to add to the list.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote