Join Early Retirement Today

Whatís a Retired guy to do? Bake a loaf of ĎArtesian Whole Wheat BreadĒ
Old 03-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Whatís a Retired guy to do? Bake a loaf of ĎArtesian Whole Wheat BreadĒ

I canít eat white bread, so I eat limited amounts of whole wheat and multigrain. Once a week I treat myself to a loaf of artisan wheat or multigrain bread that cost ~$5. We do have a bread machine and have used it quite regularly and it makes a decent loaf of bread. But this artisan bread I buy has the crust that I enjoy..chewy and wonderful. Thereís some problems in Mudville though Sometimes when we get to my supermarket they donít have any and I really donít know whatís in that supermarket loaf.

Iíve tried unsuccessfully a couple of times to bake some decent crusty bread so i gave up. Until I happened upon this YouTube video
https://youtu.be/FYVe7TTyu5c

I bought some of the dried starter and the flour and gave it a try. It took a couple nights to get the starter going then Guess what? Bread glorious chewy bread and better tasting then store bought. My loaf got 4 stars from the family -even always fussy DD ate some and applauded it. DS ďCool HandĒ had multiple helpings. The Mrs. is jealous.

The next day i toasted it a bit and slathered on some butter. Just awesome.

I wonder if the Turkey red and Einkorn flower made the difference. You can call me a Pennsylvania Sour Dough from now on. There will be a loaf rising near the stove tonight.

rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2019, 10:42 PM   #2

Good job. I’m not much into bread, but I enjoy bringing something new that’s good to eat to the kitchen. I haven’t found anything I couldn’t do better than store or restaurant bought. I’m working on doing some boneless beef short ribs. I’m looking at a new pan specifically for braising. Looking to do it up right with some nice gravy and everything. Simple but good.

Like with your bread, it’s nice to know exactly what’s in the food you’re eating if for nothing else, to ensure you get the taste you want. I’ve also started making my own salad dressing. It’s a lot better than anything I’ve found in the store.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:00 AM   #3

Good job, Ray!

While I cook many a meal, I am not a baker. However, I worship a fine loaf of good grain bread. Really good bread belongs on the same (or greater) pedestal as any great food.

Give me a loaf of warm, honest bread, some good olive oil and garlic, and I just need to be alone for a while.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:55 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Good job. Iím not much into bread, but I enjoy bringing something new thatís good to eat to the kitchen. I havenít found anything I couldnít do better than store or restaurant bought. Iím working on doing some boneless beef short ribs. Iím looking at a new pan specifically for braising. Looking to do it up right with some nice gravy and everything. Simple but good.
Love this boneless short rib recipe: https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...rt-ribs-155485

Freezes well and gravy is divine. (Agree with commenters: use beef broth if possible)
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:37 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been making artisan bread for a few years off and on with good results. I've used a wide variety of flours with many different "additive" grains Oats, Millet etc, and call it my seed bread, it gets rave reviews from friends. I usually make a minimum of two loaves at a time, more than DW and I can eat in a reasonable time, so w*rking friends benefit.

We have an old timey grain mill, very close, so we've used some of their flour too. Can't say I have a preference for flour type other than I like a white flour/whole grain mixture the best.

If you're doing sourdough, look at the link below. There are many different sourdough starters. We've used the Italian starter for our woodfire pizza oven with double zero (Antimo Caputo '00' Flour), makes great pizza dough.

https://www.sourdo.com/
MOSAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:17 AM   #6

This morning...IMG_0015.jpg
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:49 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

^^ Very nice!
Old 03-13-2019, 09:09 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I love fresh sourdough. One of my goals when I retired as to learn how to make it myself. I bought the book Tartine Bread and have modified the recipe somewhat over the last 18 months. Each batch makes 2 rounds and they last about a week. I made my own starter and feed it, which is pretty straight forward. I went from store bought King Arthur flour to Central Milling Organic Artisan Bakers Craft Plus flour. The Central Milling flour is a bit more expensive, but my bread turns out so much better with it. If you want to geek out a little, take a look at the book on Amazon, it has some pretty helpful info.
Rdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post

I’ve tried unsuccessfully a couple of times to bake some decent crusty bread so i gave up. Until I happened upon this YouTube video
https://youtu.be/FYVe7TTyu5c
It sounds wonderful. I've been using Einkorn for several years, but not Turkey Red.

FWIW, Here's the recipe from the video.

Artisan Bread Recipe
310 g bread flour (the white high gluten stuff). 155 g whole Turkey Red flour
155 g whole Einkorn flour
60 g sourdough starter (mine is white, but doesn't matter if it's a whole wheat or rye based starter). 454 g water (exactly 2 cups)
12 g salt
Old 03-13-2019, 12:10 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I used to make bread every couple of days (I even posted a picture a couple of years ago). Now I live in a place where great bread can be had for a reasonable price and I don't make my own anymore.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #11

For more flavor do a bulk rise in the fridge overnight.

I swear by the book “Tartine Bread.” It was available for a couple bucks in Kindle last year but I only see it in hardcover today. I also had good luck with “Josey Baker Bread” although the writing style is way rad (i.e., annoying). Anything by Peter Reinhardt is golden.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
This morning...Attachment 30992
That looks good! I love bread but I have stopped eating it but may have a slice of bought, once every couple of weeks. I just crave my mothers home made bread. She would get it done and we both would have a warm slice with butter. Nothing better then home made bread.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:21 PM   #13

Looks great Ray. I watched the video. I am low carb (no bread), but now I am rethinking my life choices.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here are variations we like (all are added to the dry ingredients and mixed around before adding liquid):

Add Italian herbs and three kinds of chopped olives (black, green stuffed and kalamata)

or

Add chopped craisins and chopped walnuts. Good with cream cheese and honey or (better) creme fraische.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Donít eat much bread, so definitely donít bake much bread. However, the recipes for Italian herb and for pumpernickel in my breadmakerís manual/cookbook are both good. Trouble is, I overeat while fresh and warm, then usually chunk the rest...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote