Join Early Retirement Today

What’s your 17
Old 03-14-2018, 04:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What’s your 17

I wondered what the kids at various school districts in my vicinity did today. I had to share this idea/challenge. I’m going to try.

“One idea that has come up us #What'sYour17 which is a movement that has also picking up popularity across the nation. In short, it challenges a student body to do 17 things for an agreed upon period of time that could really make a difference. For example: smile at 17 people you've never really noticed; have a conversation with 17 new people; or give one meaningful and thoughtful compliment to 17 different people.”

Hundreds of local students walkout of class in push for change & to honor Florida shooting victims | FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF-TV | News, Weather, Sports
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2018, 05:11 PM   #2

No offense, but I hesitate to suggest anything that might encourage more kids to walk out of school. IMO, there is plenty of time over spring, fall, summer breaks and weekends for them to be "protesting". They should not be giving up precious classroom time.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2018, 05:27 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They could do all the things OP lists while inside the school.

I agree that one walk-out is probably enough - they need their education.

For the record, I am a big believer in protests and I hope these young folks keep at it.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCGeezer View Post
In short, it challenges a student body to do 17 things for an agreed upon period of time that could really make a difference.
Get an A in 17 exams.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #5

I don't like to think some percentage played FPS video games.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2018, 06:17 PM   #6

I really have no problem with the kids walking out today as long as they are doing it to genuinely raise awareness of an issue they believe in. It's a form of learning, just as much as the academics they are learning in the classrooms. I was disappointed to see some schools threatening repercussions for students who want to participate in today's activities. It's a half hour away from the classroom. They'll survive.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2018, 06:21 PM   #7

I'm fairly happy with how things turned out today, with the walkouts and all. There have been many times in various countries (present and past) where demonstrations like this would have resulted in violence from their opponents. It shows that the USA is not bottomed out, as many claim.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2018, 11:47 PM   #8

I think the press and social media way over promoted walking out and that high school kids mostly saw an opportunity to get out of studies. Yes, most of these kids across the country were disingenuous in their motives for participating in the walk out. After all, these are kids who film themselves eating TIDE PODS to post on the internet and are confused on what bathroom to use.
Also, it isn't in the student's best interest to have so much press presence on a campus like what I saw on TV. School administrators should have not allowed so much as a TV camera on campus. Not without the written consent of their parents.
I think I would have kept my highschooler at home today if I were the parent of one.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2018, 07:30 AM   #9

I see it as a half glass full I guess. Sure some kids probably just took advantage of an hour out of class but I’m encouraged by the thoughtfulness and civic engagement of many of them. I’m all for an educated and proactive citizenship. Seems like a great learning opportunity to me.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:32 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

As a natural born cynic, I feel bad for these kids who walked out.

It's great that they're taking action but they're about to learn how slowly the wheels of progress turn; I suspect many are expecting a near instant gratification and I just don't see it happening despite the horror of the past few weeks.

For their sake I hope I'm wrong but I just see more disillusionment ahead.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:51 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I liked the walkout and I really like the 17 idea. Nothing wrong with a little youthful idealism every now and then, no permanent damage from missing a couple of hours of school.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #12

While the linked article talks about the walkouts, the OP (and his point) does not. Nor the tide pods, not what games they play, or any other politics.

It's about incorporating 17 "give backs" or contributions to society, not about protest or time out of school. And yes it's a great idea even if only 1% adopt it.

I love the idealism of these students, and I see that many of them are well enough aware how slow and bureaucratically things are ahead of them - and they're still moving forward.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2018, 09:38 AM   #13

I think the comment by Aerides is perfect.

-BB
Old 03-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
I think the comment by Aerides is perfect.

-BB
+1
Old 03-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #15

Focusing on positive actions is admirable, but this one is confusing. Sadly if "pay it forward", values.com, and similar, have not had much impact, then neither will this. To start, the description is unclear, "Do 17 things for an agreed upon period of time." Do I do one of 17 things? Do I do one thing 17 times? Do I do 17 things repeatedly until the end of the time period? Given today's short attention spans, if the concept can't be made clear via a catchy phrase or short sentence, it won't get far. Additionally, to delve into a serious discussion here of the heart of the matter will bring Porky.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I really have no problem with the kids walking out today as long as they are doing it to genuinely raise awareness of an issue they believe in. It's a form of learning, just as much as the academics they are learning in the classrooms. I was disappointed to see some schools threatening repercussions for students who want to participate in today's activities. It's a half hour away from the classroom. They'll survive.

+1
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Focusing on positive actions is admirable, but this one is confusing. Sadly if "pay it forward", values.com, and similar, have not had much impact, then neither will this. To start, the description is unclear, "Do 17 things for an agreed upon period of time." Do I do one of 17 things? Do I do one thing 17 times? Do I do 17 things repeatedly until the end of the time period? Given today's short attention spans, if the concept can't be made clear via a catchy phrase or short sentence, it won't get far. Additionally, to delve into a serious discussion here of the heart of the matter will bring Porky.
You're overthinking it.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
It's a teenager thing.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:15 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I support the right to peaceably assemble and to seek redress, etc. Granted, many of those students have only a modest understanding of the various issues surrounding the interpretation and implementation of the second amendment, but that could be said about supposed adults as well...

As for the 17 thing, I’m all for civility and empathy, for embracing diversity and differences, and for calling out or confronting bullying. But in some ways it’s a deflection from the issues of violence, mental illness, gun laws/regulations, school security, etc., telling these youngsters and teachers to just be nicer next time, and maybe some lunatic won’t shoot you... They have every right to demand that these issues are addressed.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2018, 08:49 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I tend to feel the kids are being manipulated. I really think the time would be better spent studying.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply