Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: WHat size truck do we need?
17' Truck 0 0%
20' Truck 5 26.32%
26' Truck 14 73.68%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
When you say "junk in the closets do you really mean junk? Why would you move junk? Maybe you should have a pile of "probably could leave this behind if the truck is getting full"... bigger truck, more expense, probably more gas, maybe a pain to drive...

Also how old is your fridge, we have never had luck moving old fridges, something about the movement and the period they are unplugged always causes problems later.

I can see you are going to have a busy week!
Its not really junk in the closets. Its just stuff. Vacuum cleaner, umbrellas, extra pillows, craft supplies....you know...all the stuff you dont want out in the garage.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

If you really have a lot of stuff, I'd go one size bigger than Uhaul recommends as its estimating an average # of boxes plus your furniture and it assumes a 2 bedroom house, not downsizing from a larger home..so your rooms are likely bigger than a typical 2 bedroom and you likely have more "extras" than expected. We downsized from 3 bedrooms to 2 bedroom apartment, but we had a living room, family room, and a full basement plus full 2 car garage..vs. they are assuming a small living room, plus eat in kitchen and small kitchen at that. I probably had double the kitchen items they have budgeted.

As for moving, you may want to get professional movers (I know U-Haul provides a full list), they would be much more experienced loading/unloading and moving items around for you. It is really all about weighting the truck properly. FYI, good luck with the treadmill (hope its really small) as the professional movers wouldnt' touch it and we moved one out of the basement and it pretty much killed my siblings...even though it was a folding treadmill it wasn't easy as the weight is all on one end.

Good luck on the move. The professionals make it look so easy as they have a ridiculous amount of tarps to wrap things in and unlimited supply of plastic wrap. We couldn't move our stuff, our bedroom furniture was way too well built (ie. real wood weighs a ton)..even the movers kept asking .. is this thing empty?? are you sure?? Try to get rid of everything you can before the move.. many charities will pick up so its worth a second look around to make your life easier.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:11 PM   #23

Originally when planning the move I was going to get a 17' truck based on U-Hauls description. Then when I actually reserved the truck I decided to go with a 20'. We have now boxed everything up and stacked it all in the dining room which is the closest room to the front door in preparation for loading the truck on Sat. The boxes take up 2/3 of a 10x10 room so I decided to upgrade to the 26' truck. I just cant believe we need one that big. I guess I will see how it all fits in there in a couple days.

I did get a sheet of paper and cut it to the exact dimensions of the truck and plotted out where the furniture would go, trying to see how much floor space the furniture would take up. It looked like if most of the furniture was on the floor (not stacked) that the floor space would all be used up in the 20' truck. I wasnt sure how high I wanted boxes stacked which I why I decided I wanted more floor space and went to the 26'.

Our treadmill moves pretty easily. We've moved it around a few times when we had guests over. It does fold up, but I think we will leave it unfolded so we can stack boxes on top of it in the truck. Theres also no chance it will tip over that way.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:56 PM   #24

We got the 26' truck. We had an army of friends helping us load up this morning. This is hard for me to believe but is was apparent early on that everything wasn't going to fit. I cant believe a 4 bedroom house with virtually no bedroom furniture wont fit in a 26' truck. We had to leave all of our patio furniture, the treadmill, a desk that I made myself, a wine cabinet that I mead myself, ladder, shop vac, box springs (which we didnt need anyway but were almost brand new), a router table and quite a few other odds and ends. Amazing!

We are safely in Monroe, La after finishing the first leg of a 3 day journey to Coral Springs, FL.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:09 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
... I cant believe a 4 bedroom house with virtually no bedroom furniture wont fit in a 26' truck. ...
What led you to believe that? Did you actually measure your stuff?

I have absolutely no idea how big of a truck is needed for our stuff. I'd have to give it some serious thought. Can't begin to guestimate, wouldn't know where to start w/o measuring.

I wonder if you are a victim of 'anchoring'? That's where a number is thrown out, and that number becomes an 'anchor' for your estimates. The 'Freakonomics' guys do a good review of this. You probably 'anchored' on the middle value offered. But it has little relevance. An actual measurement has relevance, not what some other people may have averaged, or wherever those numbers came from.

It doesn't seem to be surprising based on the poll. Hope the rest of the move goes well!

-ERD50
Old 07-04-2015, 10:14 PM   #26

I measured all the furniture and it looked like it would take up all the floor space of the 20' truck. I wasn't confidant that all the boxes could be stacked on top of things so I went with the 26' so there would be a lot more floor space. All the things that don't fit in a box really added up and I guess I didn't expect that. We also had more last minute things to box up at the last minute than I expected.

We will be getting rid of more stuff as we unpack. If we havent used it in a while, its going bye bye.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:21 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Good luck with the rest of the move! If you have friends to help you unload at the new place, remember that the beer flows only >after< the breakables are in the house.
Don't get too discouraged if it takes awhile to get unpacked--weeks, months. Moving--everything about it--is very stressful, sometimes it can sneak up on you. Don't add more stress unnecessarily by being in a huge rush to clear out all the boxes. You'll get there.
The truck--in retrospect, maybe one idea is to reserve a trailer to tow behind the moving van, actually pick it up if you need it after the van is loaded tight. Obviously, that won't work if you are already towing a car on a dolly behind the truck.

Uhaul--An Adventure in Moving indeed!
Old 07-05-2015, 05:20 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

Uhaul--An Adventure in Moving indeed!
I always thought that was the world's worst motto. Who the heck wants that? I want my moves free from any "adventure".
Old 07-05-2015, 08:17 AM   #29

utrecht, sorry to hear you had to leave some things behind, but it sounds like you are a woodworker and maybe can have some fun building a few replacement pieces in the new location. Drive safe and best wishes at your new home.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:07 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

In hind sight those UHaul trucks can tow a trailer behind them. That might have been an option, but perhaps you didn't really need/want the stuff you left behind.

Good luck at your new home!
Old 07-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry you had to leave things behind, the measurements are usually based on everthing being boxed, torn apart tobe as flat as possible and stacked to the ceiling. Sounds like maybe you had a ton of stuff that didn't fit in those categories..which is why it didn't all fit. My sister emptied my garage for me as I was moving into an apartment, she took a 17 foot trailer packed and I took what barely fit in a 2 bedroom and that was after I sold all my patio furniture, grill, lawn mower, all power tools, 3 couches, snow blower, ladders, etc and I had given to good will for a year amounting to likely 6 car loads of stuff ie we ALL have too much STUFF.

Hope you kept the good stuff and have fun making new things at the new place. You'll likely find you don't miss stuff after awhile and most of it you didn't need in the first place. btw, even after all that downsizing, we still have managed to sell 5 more boxes of stuff once we moved in.. but on the plus side we only kept the very nicest and newest stuff which in some ways makes it feel even better and since the place is so small now, I don't need 5 measuring tapes (kept my 2 best, one short one long) and so on.. 40 screwdrivers (between garage, basement, cars, and random drawers)..now my dad would never get rid of any..so I gave them all to him
Old 07-05-2015, 08:38 PM   #32

I sold all of my large woodworking equipment about a year ago so I wouldn't have to move it. That stuff is big and really heavy. I do still have a lot of smaller tools and a million clamps and things like that. What I'd really like to do is find someplace that rents out a woodworking shop by the hour or day and then sell all my stuff. We plan to do a lot of long term traveling so we really want to downsize our "stuff" big time but I also love building furniture.
We made it to Tallahassee today en route to the Fort Lauderdale area. We drove 10 hours and had the windshield wipers on at least 7 hours. UGH! The cab leaks and water was pooling on the floor of the cab. At one point I had to slow down to about 20 mph it was raining so hard.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:21 AM   #33

Drive safely. Keep an eye on the rain, I found out that the standard Uhaul insurance didn't cover water damage.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:42 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
I sold all of my large woodworking equipment about a year ago so I wouldn't have to move it. That stuff is big and really heavy. I do still have a lot of smaller tools and a million clamps and things like that. What I'd really like to do is find someplace that rents out a woodworking shop by the hour or day and then sell all my stuff.
We have a new place like that a few miles from me. I have not checked it out yet, but plan to do so. I got rid of all my woodworking equipment when we moved to Texas many years ago, except for a workbench. Broke my heart, but there was no room in my garage.

Build Member's Workshop