Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-16-2015, 09:28 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Yes, this is a common, long term observation. Most people really don't have a clue about retirement issues. I have resigned myself to basically ignoring them and ensuring I spread the "gospel" to people and relatives I think can benefit from my advice. Hard to suppress the smugness though.
I have no one to preach to but I'm definitely thankful for the advice I've received from older relatives and co-workers. They were the ones who made me aware that we had a deferred comp plan in the first place to supplement the DB pension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Here's another question. Do you think low cost of living locations have more of these clueless people than Other areas? Probably not.
In the current US climate where the prevalent thinking is YOLO, I think it's probably around the same regardless of area. I reckon there are probably plenty of folks relying on SS in their old age. Those who grew up in poor and depressed situations and know that they can't rely on the government for help are more likely to save for their own future.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 09:58 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
I have friends who are serial enterpreneurs. They have started, owned and sold many businesses over the last 35 years. They take long breaks between to pursue interests other than working, get an idea for a new business and then go back to working. I admire that lifestyle. It's different from the way many of us toil, toil, toil and then retire, but has much less possibility that they croak before getting in some "retirement" years!

Old 09-16-2015, 10:21 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And as those that failed to save for retirement say: "Welcome for shopping at Walmart."
Old 09-17-2015, 06:02 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Times are really getting hard. Our local Wal-mart no longer has a greeter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
And as those that failed to save for retirement say: "Welcome for shopping at Walmart."
Old 09-17-2015, 08:48 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Times are really getting hard. Our local Wal-mart no longer has a greeter!

We must have too many pilferers at our nearby store as they reinstated Granny and Grampa greeters after a brief hiatus. Personally I believe young "Muscle Heads" should be the greeters and have carte blanche to rough up the offenders in the back room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Personally I believe young "Muscle Heads" should be the greeters and have carte blanche to rough up the offenders in the back room.

But only if they stole $25 or more...

According to the internal Wal-Mart document, the new shoplifting policy has changed from “Shoplifter Apprehensions” to “Investigation and Detention of Shoplifters.” In particular, the new shoplifting document explains to Wal-Mart workers that “the guidelines for prosecution of shoplifters have changed: the retail value of the merchandise recovered must exceed $25, and the suspected shoplifter must be at or between the ages of 18 and 65.”
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:01 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

According to the internal Wal-Mart document, the new shoplifting policy has changed from “Shoplifter Apprehensions” to “Investigation and Detention of Shoplifters.” In particular, the new shoplifting document explains to Wal-Mart workers that “the guidelines for prosecution of shoplifters have changed: the retail value of the merchandise recovered must exceed $25, and the suspected shoplifter must be at or between the ages of 18 and 65.”

Senator, you are turning me into a softie....Im ok with $25 and over before some cracked ribs occur.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2015, 10:42 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

What? People over age 65 can shoplift with impunity?

I'm preparing Mr. A.'s Wal-Mart shopping list!

Quote:

Old 09-17-2015, 10:45 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"............. the suspected shoplifter must be at or between the ages of 18 and 65.”
Cool! Medicare, SS and impunity! Something to look forward to.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:23 AM   #70

I know a few people (outside the IT circle I was in) who make an honest living but get paid very little. I don't even know how they can make ends meet with their paychecks, much less save money. Knowing how much they make in an hour and how much I used to make in an hour, it is kind of heart breaking.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:05 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I know a few people (outside the IT circle I was in) who make an honest living but get paid very little. I don't even know how they can make ends meet with their paychecks, much less save money. Knowing how much they make in an hour and how much I used to make in an hour, it is kind of heart breaking.
Don't feel too bad, my guess is that many if not most were not working as long or hard as you were studying in school and keeping up your skills afterwards. I have friends too (outside of IT) who are good people, work hard, but make very little. On the other hand, it was their choice. They never took the effort to get the degree, the contractors license, etc. even though they did have the opportunity.

There are some people who have truly been dealt a bad hand, with illness or tragedy in their life, living in war torn or desperately poor parts of the world. These are truly heart breaking. And failures beyond their control. But for most here in the developed world, the only heartbreak is that they chose poorly.

I have told my kids many times that they live in the real world, and as much as they are loved by their family, their only economic value lies in the services they can perform, the problems they can solve, and how much these are worth in the marketplace. So far they seem to have taken that advice.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #72

Quote:
... and the suspected shoplifter must be at or between the ages of 18 and 65.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
What? People over age 65 can shoplift with impunity?

I'm preparing Mr. A.'s Wal-Mart shopping list!
I'll be preparing mine next spring when I'm 66. Whoo hoo!
Old 09-17-2015, 08:39 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
+100