Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

***** has managed to get hundreds of people to talk about him for years. The joy that has given him is immeasurable.

Twaddle/Wab, good to hear from you!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2007, 07:09 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
Say hello to Twaddle!
Well, hello, twaddle!

The forum's been exciting, yes. I manage to miss things as they are happening, but it is still better than TV. (Ours broke.)
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well the hunting thing is sort of unclear. It seems he wants to farm me.

The minute I hear a banjo playing, I'm outta here.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:16 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Bunny: I'm glad one of us understood what he was saying and it wasn't me...
Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:23 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Oh I dont get it either. Dudes off his meds. Or desperately needs some.

But its kinda funny to watch a pair of lonely brain atoms slowly circle around each other in some sort of horrible decaying elliptical orbit...producing words at random intervals in semi-sensible sentence structures.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:48 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you think he believes that the winner of an argument is based on the number of words used? Everytime I find myself duped into reading one of these links, I realize about 30 seconds into it that I'll need to take a break halfway and get a snack because each post is a novelette.
NinjaPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:56 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Well heres the 90 second ***** primer.

Some folks who endured him over at TMF or morningstar (I forget which) who have actual psychiatry experience determined that he has some psychosis...I think it was schizophrenia...based on watching his discourse over several years.

Some folks think he's just someone who retired too early with not enough money and either very bored or desperate to figure out how to sell some books to make ends meet.

I have a different take. I think that he's definitely got some sort of mental issue/boredom thing going on and he's a bit of what I like to call an 'organizational wrecker'. He likes to approach well reasoned people and present them with a series of discussion topics which have some marginally accessible root points, but then he throws in enough additional disconnected stuff that an organized person will comment on or challenge.

He then takes these well reasoned people and wanders with them off of the root points deeper and deeper into la la land. Until they figure out that he's really not particularly interested in a reasonable discussion and they figure out he needs to have a burning bag of poo left on his doorstep. After enough of this 'hilarity', the forum in question bans him.

It seems early retirees are exactly the sort of logical, well reasoned people that Rob finds easiest to bait and trap. Or farm or whatever is in his brain du jour.

He has a little pet, John Russell (aka JWR1945) that I think actually is eating some of the horsepuckey that Rob throws off and John carefully crafts financial models and data based arguments that have giant holes you can drive a truck through, but in aggregate they sort of back up the vague principals that this clever but limited troll bases his little routine on.

The origins of this, still fitting within the 90 seconds (i'm a fast typer, hope you're a fast reader) is that ***** felt that 4% was too much and that stocks were overvalued, and that we should all spend less and duck and cover until equities became more fairly valued. As I mentioned before, by his metrics, equities have been overvalued since the early 90's.

All fair and reasonable. Until he gets into the conspiracies, death threats, and all the rest of the nutty baggage.

But it seems he has no trouble looping newbies into his routine, and he's got a faithful stable of fascinated groupies over at another ER board that seem to be doing a good job at his care and feeding.

He also has a knack for digging in and finding out personal details about people and then trying to use them as leverage on people. Their real names, where they live, their kids names, where their grandchildren go to school...that sort of thing
Old 07-19-2007, 09:04 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was suckered in for about two days. I noticed one thing; you ask the guy to give you solid math and he replies with a long post about how he's asked Dory for an open debate on the topic. The poor man's debate parry, basically.

And, it should take someone about 5 minutes on Google to figure out my real name, my favorite forums, and the type of camera I shoot with. I notice since I've had this nickname, though, that some people released a crappy computer a long time ago and other people have started using the same nickname.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:10 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Dont feel bad, I was suckered too for a while. I came into the ER forum world about the time he was re-allowed to post at a couple of sites by the forum administrators, allegedly for some kind of cash payment. That caused a bunch of users to stop going to those forums and start their own, and one of the forums that let him back in ceased operating after most of its users left.

Anyhow, I had no history on the idiot, and everyone seemed excessively inflamed about the whole thing. I screwed up and stood up for him...he seemed rather reasonable at the time. He's a lot nuttier now.

Which interestingly enough seems to be the case with a slice of ER's. Early retirement actually does make you crazy sometimes, it seems.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:41 AM   #50
Confused about dryer sheets

The ***** message doesn't seem to be catching on just yet
ataloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:30 AM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataloss View Post
The ***** message doesn't seem to be catching on just yet
Neither did Betamax.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:44 AM   #52
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

The er status forum is down for maintenance. Should we have an er status forum status forum?

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:57 AM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dory36 View Post
The er status forum is down for maintenance. Should we have an er status forum status forum?
I was wondering the same thing and decided no. We can always use the ER forum to keep track of the er status forum, right?
Old 07-21-2007, 07:17 AM   #54
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:23 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I was wondering the same thing and decided no. We can always use the ER forum to keep track of the er status forum, right?
No way. If they both go down at once, the universe would wrap back in on itself and squirt from the fabric of space/time like a watermelon seed.

The status forum was very slow yesterday, then I got a message that the forum was being moved, then that it was having a database rebuild. There was no notification that there would be downtime. And the place needs a moderator or two.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:29 AM   #56

Quote:
Done! Early Retirement Staus Forum Status forum. I already posted an update on recent happenings.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #57

Darn it, I just realized it would have been much funnier if, instead of creating an active forum, I had put up a status page that my board was down for maintenance. Oh well.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:47 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Jim...what do we do if the status forum status forum goes down?

You didnt heed my warnings. The end is near.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:25 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Jim...what do we do if the status forum status forum goes down?
Hey, I've done my part. It's your turn to put up a monitor forum.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #60

Quote:
Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?
Who moderates the moderators?