Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Jim...what do we do if the status forum status forum goes down?
That's easy, we'd post a watchstander with a logbook and a pair of sound-powered headphones to report status every 15 minutes. Of course we'd have to have supervisors spot-check the watchstander's performance every four hours on a random basis not to exceed three hours between checks.

And the department heads would have to file weekly surveillance monitoring reports on the supervisor's spot-checks.

Don't worry, Naval Reactors will ensure that the COs & XOs keep an eye on the DHs. They'll even send their staff over for surprise inspections!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
That's easy, we'd post a watchstander with a logbook and a pair of sound-powered headphones to report status every 15 minutes. Of course we'd have to have supervisors spot-check the watchstander's performance every four hours on a random basis not to exceed three hours between checks.

And the department heads would have to file weekly surveillance monitoring reports on the supervisor's spot-checks.

Don't worry, Naval Reactors will ensure that the COs & XOs keep an eye on the DHs. They'll even send their staff over for surprise inspections!
So is this watchstander watching the forum, the status forum, or the status forum status forum?

Maintaining proper surveillance at the right level may be the most important thing we ever decide in ER. Maybe we should get one of those 'bat signals'?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Uh oh, it seems the status forum may be gone. All I get is a message saying that the forum has been deleted because of violation of the TOS, or at the owners request.

So will the status forum status forum become the status forum, or be pruned down for ***** to farm free kittens on?

Clearly this is all becoming too confusing. And job-like.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:52 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can't find TromboneAl's original announcement thread, so I'll say it here.

T-Al, your forum's broke:
Quote:
I would like to apologize for the forums who lost data over the past few hours. We experienced a hard drive failure on our main database server. This was an unfortunate incident that could not have been avoided by either our host or our administrators.

We've done everything we can to recover the data, unfortunately most of the data was recovered corrupt. Forums that weren't moved to the new server will be reverted to a prior backup. Any non-existent forums will need to be re-created.

We have taken measures to stop such service interruptions, as well as the slowness/downtime you have been seeing over the past few weeks. We will be using a clustered network solution, in case of one server failing there will be others to take its place. Therefore, what happened last night will never be able to happen again.

We expect to have the network upgrade completed by Monday, July 23rd. The new server network --which sets the stage for our phpBB3 release-- boosts total redundancy in almost all areas, increased processing power for faster load speeds, and a 24/7 backup system in place to make sure your data is always safe. In addition, we will have the backup mod online within a few days so customers can safely download a forum backup to their computer.

Again, we apologize for any inconvenience. We value you as a customer and look forward to providing an even better service after the network upgrade is completed.

Thank you for your understanding and support.
I guess we'll have to wait and see if TromboneAl recreates the Early Retirement Status forum. Meanwhile there is a missing link in the monitoring chain. Hopefully he'll recreate the monitor forum before tomorrow night's server move or else there will be no way to know what's going on.

EDIT: As a computer guy, I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that untested backups can be worse than no backups because they create a false sense of security. (Not aimed at Al, it's just that I've seen this too many times.) And having no backups is pretty bad, too.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:59 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Is this proper protocol, reporting on the status of the status forum on the forum thats being monitored by the status forum? Shouldnt this be reported on the status forum status forum?

And what kind of system is this anyhow...where the status forum seems to be more likely to go down without backups and be unavailable than the forum that it monitors the status of?!?

Shouldnt the monitoring tools be more sturdy than the item that they monitor?

Dang I hope that Kaiser covers removal of the tongue from ones cheek...
Old 07-21-2007, 07:44 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Dang I hope that Kaiser covers removal of the tongue from ones cheek...
The good news: They do.

The bad news: They'll probably remove the wrong cheek.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:55 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webzter View Post

The bad news: They'll probably remove the wrong cheek.
Or the wrong tongue...
Old 07-21-2007, 11:02 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

You guys are a complete waste as early retirees.

Really.

Actually our first kaiser experience was a good one! Took Gabe in for a checkup as he had a little fever. We made an appointment, 2 hours from when I called. We were seen 5 minutes early. A nice pediatrician with a degree in genetics came in and after spending 10 wonderful minutes cooing at him figured out that he had a minor virus and gave us everything we needed to take care of him.

Seems cheap, comprehensive medical care can be had.

I now return you to your original topic which was...umm...oh **** it, i have no idea.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:16 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

I just found out about this problem today. Guess I'll have to recreate it.

Work, work, work, work!
Old 07-23-2007, 01:54 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Al,

Perhaps you should be keeping a closer eye on the status forum status forum.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

OK, so you registered the earlyretirementstatus.freeforums.org forum yourself.

But now you own it, and have to administer it. That was my plan all along, of course. Now we have a status forum and I don't have to maintain it.

It took me a while to catch on. Each day I'd use the link in the activation email, and it wouldn't work. I'd figure it was still broken, but today I read that activation was fixed, but I couldn't create it because the name was taken.

I haven't figured out how you recreated the logo -- give me a hint. Did you have a copy of it in a cache somewhere??
Old 07-26-2007, 06:52 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

[nelson] ha ha! [/nelson]

What makes you think i'll be doing any administration?

About the logo...I was wondering the same thing. They must have had a copy of it somewhere that 'stuck' or actually was restored during the backup recovery. There was no other vestiges left of your old page.

I was thinking that maybe the operating software automatically generated a fancy-dan header logo.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:59 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

No, that was the logo I created, so it must have been saved or restored. Maybe they were too embarrassed to say "Hey, we screwed up and lost all your data -- but at least we have the logos!"