Join Early Retirement Today

What the heck is with all the surveys ?
Old 05-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What the heck is with all the surveys ?

I think I get a survey on darn near everything these days, have your car serviced, get a survey, buy something on line, get a survey, buy something at a retail store and get a survey, pick your nose in public and get a survey.

Now if I get unusually bad or good service I am going to contact the appropriate parties but for God's sakes, stop with all the damn surveys.

BTW, I never fill them out anymore. What say you or am I just being an old cantankerous fart ?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I ignore them all.

pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

If I'm pissed off or especially pleased with service, I'll do a survey. Otherwise, not unless I'm bored.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
What say you or am I just being an old cantankerous fart ?
You forgot something.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
am I just being an old cantankerous fart ?
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Research has shown that getting a customer involved with a company by filling out a survey (which will be ignored) leads to a more favorable impression of that company later down the road. And it makes no difference whether you give them high marks or low marks. You'll forget which it was, and just remember that they reached out to touch you and you'll feel a warm fuzzy for them because of it.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is all about "metrics." Every sharp pencil guy is using these survey results to measure what they are doing and how they might do better.. All of this despite the lack of validation that the survey measures anything meaningful. This is happening everywhere. In medicine reimbursement is going to be tied to patient satisfaction scores. I have seen people graph these out by month based on 8 surveys a month! How can that mean anything? and what about the fact that patient satisfaction may not actually be as important as other outcomes.

Example: Doctor does not prescribe antibiotics for acute bronchitis because 40 years of evidence shows they do not help, and they increase resistant organisms. No matter how many times docs try to explain this, it remains an expectation of the patient to get antibiotics. So they are supposed to take time and explain it, which makes the appointment take longer, making the doctor run behind..and the other patients are unsatisfied...and doc has to explain this over and over and over. So doc schedules longer appointments, which means longer time to "get" an appointment because now there are fewer appointments in a day....So no matter what the patient is "unsatisfied." And so instead. Just write the prescription to satisfy patient and get good survey results. And meanwhile the patient is less healthy and breeding super bugs that will not respond to antibiotics...

And this is one of the many reasons that almost nobody I know who practices medicine nowadays wonders why I retired early...
Old 05-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #7

Has anyone been surveyed on their favorite style or type of survey? Just wondering....
Old 05-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #8

Maybe we need a survey to get the real feelings about surveys. As far as Doctors go, they should schedule a set amount of patients per day and be done with it. I hate waiting in the doctor's office and my doc knows it, I tell him what I think I need and he agrees or explains his views. Then usually we talk about non medical issues and at his request.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Has anyone been surveyed on their favorite style or type of survey? Just wondering....
I've actually taken a couple of surveys that asked questions at the end about how well I liked the survey. Made me wish I hadn't bothered with the survey in the first place.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #10

I'm getting stressed just reading this thread......
Old 05-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

For kicks, I participated in a survey on my cell phone's service (PagePlus) that was quite long. For doing this, a $10 Amazon gift card was to be "sent" to you (never explained how sent). Well, the survey was very detailed and I never got the $10 card. Go figure...
Old 05-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
What say you or am I just being an old cantankerous fart ?
If you are a cantankerous fart, then I'm the female equivalent. What would that be, a cantankerous fartlette? a cantankerous fartess? a cantankerous fartelina? Whadevah...

I just wonder who if anybody actually ANALYZES the data collected in these surveys, and how, and what conclusions they draw and with what degree of statistical confidence, and, and, and.... Oh well, they probably just get stuffed into somebody's bottom file drawer to look at later. Then, when that person retires, somebody will put them in the shredder, not knowing what else to do with them, and with the fervent hope that nobody notices.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #13

I'm tempted to start at survey about surveys. I suppose that should go in the "what did you do today?" thread.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I think the reason for all the surveys are copy cat companies. One place has one that maybe worked one time, then before you know it, every place has one. You know, kinda like selfies. That was probably cool when new but now over done and commercialized (uhh.. Big Poppy?).

As for online surveys, nothing like a good spam filter to route them to my spam folder
Old 05-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #15

Somehow I got stuck in a longitudinal study at the NSF. They keep tracking me down every couple years to see how I'm doing (even to the point of emailing former colleagues as to my whereabouts -- very annoying). The last time I delayed so long they said they would send me $20 but it never arrived.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
This is all about "metrics." Every sharp pencil guy is using these survey results to measure what they are doing and how they might do better.. All of this despite the lack of validation that the survey measures anything meaningful. This is happening everywhere. In medicine reimbursement is going to be tied to patient satisfaction scores. I have seen people graph these out by month based on 8 surveys a month! How can that mean anything? and what about the fact that patient satisfaction may not actually be as important as other outcomes.

Example: Doctor does not prescribe antibiotics for acute bronchitis because 40 years of evidence shows they do not help, and they increase resistant organisms. No matter how many times docs try to explain this, it remains an expectation of the patient to get antibiotics. So they are supposed to take time and explain it, which makes the appointment take longer, making the doctor run behind..and the other patients are unsatisfied...and doc has to explain this over and over and over. So doc schedules longer appointments, which means longer time to "get" an appointment because now there are fewer appointments in a day....So no matter what the patient is "unsatisfied." And so instead. Just write the prescription to satisfy patient and get good survey results. And meanwhile the patient is less healthy and breeding super bugs that will not respond to antibiotics...

And this is one of the many reasons that almost nobody I know who practices medicine nowadays wonders why I retired early...

Been there and am doing that.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
If you are a cantankerous fart, then I'm the female equivalent. What would that be, a cantankerous fartlette? a cantankerous fartess? a cantankerous fartelina? Whadevah... .

A fartlette is a little fart. A fartelina is likely a dancing one. I go with cantankerous fartesse, e.g. a royal female fart. ;-D
Old 05-23-2014, 09:42 PM   #18

Those surveys are pretty worthless, I have found (especially those from banking and other financial institutions). I recall getting some bad service at a restaurant and took a survey only to find no way to let them know what I did not like. Instead, I went to the restaurant's website and was able to complain there. I got a call from the manager 2 days later (I asked to have him call me) and we had a useful conversation.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:28 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I hate them. It seems like every transaction these days comes with a demand for my information or my time. Sometimes you just want to buy a mother-loving tube of toothpaste without being accosted...
Old 05-24-2014, 12:02 AM   #20

The plethora of surveys is because the current methodology for organizational customer support is very heavy on metrics, especially as related to customer relationships. These surveys probably only go as far as the supervisor of the people you dealt with. People have their job performance rated on the results of these surveys. That said, I rarely fill them out unless I am sure they will get to their desired destination. People will intercept the surveys and pitch the bad ones (wouldn't you?)