Join Early Retirement Today

What the "wealthy" are doing...
Old 09-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What the "wealthy" are doing...

Those of us still invested in equities must not be "wealthy" since they (the wealthy folks) are all "sitting on their cash". At least they found out about LBYM...who here on this ER forum leaked that nugget to all of those folks?

Quote:
Experts who work with the wealthy and observe their spending habits say rich folks are sitting on their cash. Just like the rest of us, they're worried about the future. Suddenly uncomfortable with the nation's financial volatility, the wealthy are revisiting their investment and savings strategies, says Chris Geczy, director of the Wharton Wealth Management Initiative at the Wharton School in Philadelphia.
"They're consuming less and saving more," Geczy says.
how-the-rich-save-today.html: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Those of us still invested in equities must not be "wealthy" since they (the wealthy folks) are all "sitting on their cash". At least they found out about LBYM...who here on this ER forum leaked that nugget to all of those folks?
It was Professor Plum with the candlestick in the library.

Interesting section about munis. Looks like the herd may be going that way this time around. Moooooooooooooooo...<dust cloud and thundering hooves>
These have been are a fave of mine (no I'm not rich) for quite a while and still are for unanticipated short term needs. In 2008, losses in my 2 VG muni MFs paled compared to equities. They are almost recovered.
I lucked out on that bet. Whew!
I've read a few articles about classic TE munis and the new darlings, the Build America Bonds, which are munis but not TE.
I double checked with VG to make sure their advertised TE muni bond funds would not be dabbling in these.
All is well.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

What a waste of electrons this Yahoo article is.

Seems to be trying to make the case that everyone needs more CDs because unnamed, unspecified "wealthy" people have some. They don't like the rates either. I swear Yahoo will run absolutely anything if they think it will get some traffic.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietman View Post
What a waste of electrons this Yahoo article is.

Seems to be trying to make the case that everyone needs more CDs because unnamed, unspecified "wealthy" people have some. They don't like the rates either. I swear Yahoo will run absolutely anything if they think it will get some traffic.
I did notice the article was provided by Bankrate.com. Hmmm, I wonder what slant that firm might put on something..... Wealthy people may have more CDs than the rest of us poor saps, but then they also have more money to put into them. I bet wealthy people have more in equities than the rest of us too.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The article seems to be talking -in parts only perhaps- about the "mass affluents", meaning people with financial assets totaling $100K to $1M. Not quite the kind of wealth that most people around here would be thinking of when referring to the "wealthy".
Old 09-13-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
The article seems to be talking -in parts only perhaps- about the "mass affluents", meaning people with financial assets totaling $100K to $1M. Not quite the kind of wealth that most people around here would be thinking of when referring to the "wealthy".
But did mention this subset:

Quote:
which says it serves 51 percent of the Forbes 400 list of U.S. billionaires.
If I was that wealthy I don't think I would be invested in stocks - no need for risk. I'd be living off the interest on the interest of the interest from interest thrown off by the principle...

DD