Join Early Retirement Today

What to bring the bereaved?
Old 10-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What to bring the bereaved?

An elderly aunt (93) passed away and we will be attending a funeral breakfast at her granddaughter's home, then the funeral service itself. I have never met this granddaughter.

What would be an appropriate gift or token to bring to the home? We are not sending flowers.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Amethyst

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I assume the granddaughter is in her 40's, 50's...

Do you have a pic of her grandmother...one when she was in her youth or one that she's laughing or in a fun pose? If so, you could put it in a nice frame and give that to her.

Other ideas would be a scrap book for her pics or a small, ornate box for her to store small items that belonged to her grandmother.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

bbbamI..what wonderful, thoughtful, sensitive suggestions!!

I know if someone gave me a gift like that when my 92 YO mom passes I would cherish it more than ANYTHING you could buy....
Old 10-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I assume the granddaughter is in her 40's, 50's...

Do you have a pic of her grandmother...one when she was in her youth or one that she's laughing or in a fun pose? If so, you could put it in a nice frame and give that to her.

Other ideas would be a scrap book for her pics or a small, ornate box for her to store small items that belonged to her grandmother.
Totally agree.

When I lost a dear friend last year (she wasn't much into having her picture taken). Her daughter gaved me a framed picture of my friend with me and her dog (my little buddy who passed away too) together Christmas morning a couple of year ago and I treasure that photo so much.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately, I have no photos of the deceased lady. Thank you for the ideas, though.

A.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You may find something of interest here :

Funeral Gifts by GiftTree

Take care Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
An elderly aunt (93) passed away and we will be attending a funeral breakfast at her granddaughter's home, then the funeral service itself. I have never met this granddaughter.

What would be an appropriate gift or token to bring to the home? We are not sending flowers.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Amethyst
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

bbbamI hit a home run with her idea for a photo. Impressive

I have an idea derived from bbbamI's idea...buy a really beautiful classy frame for the grand-daughter. Get 2 or 3 different sizes of the same type frame, or mix and match. They will get put to use.

Bring a HUG and a story about the deceased lady. Maybe she has a good one to tell you.

Offer to help with the breakfast operation. ANY small task will be a great help.

My concolences on your family's loss.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #8

Condolences, Amethyst

Gifts are not usually expected when families get together to celebrate the life and passing of one their own. Something personal that can be shared with the others, such as a memento or gift, along with a story that can be told. Or just a memory that can be shared.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Now, this is an interesting idea from the funeral gifts catalog:

100Baby Gift Baskets Cotton Pee Pee Teepees: Ultra-soft, US-made "teepees" that prevent baby boy accidents during changing time. - %

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
You may find something of interest here :

Funeral Gifts by GiftTree

Take care Amethyst
Old 10-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Those are no accidents. It's just baby boy getting back at mamma for the indignities has has suffered at her hand.

Ha
Old 10-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

When I was grieving the things I appreciated were a bouquet of flowers ( no plants ), nice caring cards & just people remembering special things about my loved one .

Tags
funeral, gift