Join Early Retirement Today

What to do with Airline Miles - Accumulated while working :)
Old 01-17-2014, 06:35 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What to do with Airline Miles - Accumulated while working :)

When I was working I travelled a lot. I accumulated over $1m with one carrier and $700k with another.

We flew to Australia FC recently and used up a bunch going other places over the years.

Currently I have $380k left with one that expire in 2015 and 200k with another that do not expire.

I looked on the sites and to use one of the carriers miles costs more now in points and CASH that it ever did. AND the cash they want, in my example $300+ per ticket cost more than a discount carrier to the same location.

SO I am thinking of using the miles to buy merchandise. I know this is an inefficient way of using them, but I can get a New Ipad air TOL., buy the DW some new Kitchen appliances and other things I would not normally buy.

Is that a good use of them? We drive most places now and if we go abroad I like the package deals or even Cruises, better purchased on the open market.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Consider a charitable donation. The major airlines have programs, and a Google search turns up many charities that accept miles.

[Love the tag line in your post. We used to say that about nuclear QC inspectors. I'm an engineer, so I find it especially funny because it's true!]
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

My favorite airline will, next week, devalue my miles by about 10%.
Aren't I lucky?

So I plan on using them ASAP, assuming I can find a seat on a flight I want to take. The last time I tried to do this, no seats where available except at the highest redemption rates.

I am done with miles. Just give me the money.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Airline points are not the perk they used to be. Fees are getting exorbitant. That said, apparently flights are the most efficient way to use them. I recently booked a trip that had fees of over $600. But a friend de iced to join me. Without points, she spent $1800 on flights.

A couple of years ago I wanted to use up 300,000 points, some if which were about to expire. A nice 10 day Caribbean cruise solved that problem!

Of course it is only a benefit if you wanted to do it anyway. If you can't find rewards that you want, you might be able to gift the points to a person who might use them, or could donate them to charity.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
My favorite airline will, next week, devalue my miles by about 10%. Aren't I lucky? So I plan on using them ASAP, assuming I can find a seat on a flight I want to take. The last time I tried to do this, no seats where available except at the highest redemption rates. I am done with miles. Just give me the money.
Even SW Air is devaluing their points by about 15% in the next month or so. I would traditionally use the card enough along with booking my double points vacations through them to snag a free flight once a year on a good sale day. But I think I will just start using my cash back one all the time. Plus when I travel and book a free flight it is very difficult for me to snag a hotel of my choice at a price where significant savings occurs because I lose the package discount.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Get some magazine subscriptions.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:49 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
Get some magazine subscriptions.
Or maybe lots of magazine subscriptions! Surprise all your friends.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote