What to do with "backstrap"?

ziggy29

Moderator Emeritus
So a few weeks ago someone in our congregation who is a hunter gave us some "backstrap". (This is an occupational hazard of being married to a preacher, much like getting a plate of cookies for Christmas is an occupational hazard of being a postal clerk in a small town -- not that I have any experience there.) It's sitting in our freezer now, but I started thinking about pulling it out and doing something with it. I really don't know much about it. Googling it suggests it's a lean, tender piece of venison, somewhat like a pork tenderloin or a filet mignon. Do I have that right?

That said... do we have any hunters (or have hunters in the family) who have some good ways to prepare backstrap? My experience with cooking venison is essentially zero and I don't want to screw it up.

I think it's the best part of the deer. I'd make chili out of it myself.

You could probably just grill it.

Slice it in 3/4 inch thick pieces and soak in buttermilk overnight to remove the 'gamey' taste. Then pan fry and serve with mashed potatoes and gravy. My mouth is watering as I type this...

Slice it in 3/4 inch thick pieces and soak in buttermilk overnight to remove the 'gamey' taste. Then pan fry and serve with mashed potatoes and gravy. My mouth is watering as I type this...

+1
Or grill, I treat it just like beef steak(I use milk marinade on venison, not on beef). Same doneness etc. Due to the lean meat some like it a little less cooked. As others have said the backstrap is the best piece of meat from a deer.

If you want an alternative I always think venison steak makes the best fajitas ever.

Enjoy, your gifter gave you a very special treat. Not many folks that don't hunt get such a great cut of meat.

There's an old saying that "youth is wasted on the young." Maybe in this case, backstrap is wasted on folks who don't quite know what to do with it. :)

I guess we should feel blessed that some folks in the congregation must really like her/us if they are sharing the best part of the deer.

Last edited:
It is the best part. We love it chicken fried. Yum
+1 pounded, breaded and pan fried. Then make mushroom gravy with the drippings. That's how MIL would make axis backstrap - yum!

Oh right - she used to soak it in milk too.

I do need to say, if you cook it, you want it either slow cooked, pounded flat, or rare. Venison is very lean and will be shoe leather if you overcook it.

Cook Sous Vide at [FONT=&quot]131° for 2 hours, then sear in butter. Enjoy[/FONT]

We would just cut it into 1" thick pieces and then grill it like filet mignon. Marinate it for a few hours if you wish.

I have hunted deer for many years and the backstrap is the best part of the meat. pan frying with a little butter and salt and pepper is about the best add fried potatoes and a salad and it doesn't get much better.

Back
Top Bottom