Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-05-2017, 09:24 AM   #21

Thanks, folks. Just to be clear, I've never wanted to get rid of them; just tried to find a good eventual home for them.

Total cost of the three items was probably about $1,000 in today's money, so not a big deal. I bought them decades ago.

When I get old enough I'll probably look around again to find a home for them.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2017, 09:32 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK, in post #6 you seemed to indicate you tried ebay/Craigslist and only got lowball offers. I'm assuming you were offering immediate delivery then.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Thanks, folks. Just to be clear, I've never wanted to get rid of them; just tried to find a good eventual home for them.

Total cost of the three items was probably about $1,000 in today's money, so not a big deal. I bought them decades ago.
I was thinking that they had a bigger value, but at this value range, it's like a 50" LED tv, and most folks don't even think of what will become of it, will the kids want it, or sell it for $10 when I'm gone, who cares.

I have not put any thought into what the kids will do with my personal stuff as most of it is worth little compared to the rest of the inheritance.

So I enjoy my stuff, for the personal satisfaction it gives me, I'm sure some garage hound will scoop it up when I'm gone.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Sounds like you've done a decent amount of work to try to find a good place for them. At this point I think I'd just enjoy them for the rest of my life and not worry about what happens to them. Why try to sell them now while you can still appreciate them?

Since you have no kids, what is your plan for all of your "stuff" when you go? I'd guess your executor will hold an estate sale, so these can be a part of it and maybe someone will buy and appreciate them. Even if they get it for a lowball price, I think it'd be kind of nice to imagine that someone who might not easily afford some nice artwork could get something like this and appreciate it. After all, you say you paid very little for them, whatever that means.
I have a number of pieces of art that I think are absolutely wonderful and amazing. I searched and searched all over this area, and found them hiding in various antique shops and "junk shops" around here. None cost me more than $50, IIRC, except one sculpture and even that was not too much more.

I think that the long search for beautiful art made me appreciate the special pieces that I found, more than if I had just gone to an upscale gallery and paid through the nose. One is even an original print and might (or might not) be worth something. It is beautiful and adds to my daily enjoyment of life.

When I pass away, probably most of it will end up either in the dump or back at those same junk shops, for somebody else to find and adore.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:51 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
OK, in post #6 you seemed to indicate you tried ebay/Craigslist and only got lowball offers. I'm assuming you were offering immediate delivery then.
Sorry, that's not what I meant. I contacted several dealers in similar objects. Not for consignment; just wanted to find out what they thought the things were worth.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:53 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I guess I understand the museum and universities.

We were at Chimney rock a few weeks ago and the guide was asked about future excavations. Her reply was in order to get permits they had to have a museum or university who would take the artifacts and they were all full.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm not surprised that you are having trouble finding a buyer. Art is not a big seller unless you have well recognized artists and then it is often at a loss from original purchase. I have a few small works by Dali I bought many decades ago and would be surprised if I was to get what I paid. I have also been a ceramic artist/potter for quite a few years and sell at art fairs with minimal results even at what many consider very low prices for nice work. I make enough to pay for clay and not much else. Too many people want WalMart prices for plastic from China. Glad I don't have to make a living at this.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote