Join Early Retirement Today

What to do with unusual artworks?
Old 07-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #1

What to do with unusual artworks?

I have three nice (IMHO) pieces of pre-Columbian ceramic art. Two are from the American southwest, the third is from the Caribbean Taino culture. I paid very little for all of them.

Here's my question. When I'm gone, I would really hate to see such good pieces lost to future generations, but I don't know what to do with them.

Obviously, I enjoy looking at them every day, but I'm old enough that I think I should be able to get them a new home.

I've tried to interest a number of auction houses, but none expressed the slightest interest.

I've offered them to museums, but they're afraid to take anything that doesn't have at least ten pages of notarized documentation about their provenance.

I've asked experts in the field what to do, and the usual response is "Oh, that stuff is common enough that there's no special interest."

So I figured I'd ask the information source of last resort, the good old E-R forum.

I can post pictures if you're curious, but just in general are there any suggestions?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I have three nice (IMHO) pieces of pre-Columbian ceramic art. Two are from the American southwest, the third is from the Caribbean Taino culture. I paid very little for all of them.

Here's my question. When I'm gone, I would really hate to see such good pieces lost to future generations, but I don't know what to do with them.

Obviously, I enjoy looking at them every day, but I'm old enough that I think I should be able to get them a new home.

I've tried to interest a number of auction houses, but none expressed the slightest interest.

I've offered them to museums, but they're afraid to take anything that doesn't have at least ten pages of notarized documentation about their provenance.

I've asked experts in the field what to do, and the usual response is "Oh, that stuff is common enough that there's no special interest."

So I figured I'd ask the information source of last resort, the good old E-R forum.

I can post pictures if you're curious, but just in general are there any suggestions?
How about popping a message to the guys at the TV show American Pickers (Antique Archeology)?
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

My first cut is with the kids and if there is no interest, Craigslist/Ebay. If no takers, then it's Waste Management.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:28 PM   #4

You can post in your album. That's where my self made art resides.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:28 PM   #5
Administrator

They might be of interest to an archeology department of a University.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
How about popping a message to the guys at the TV show American Pickers (Antique Archeology)?
I don't think they would be the right place. These are museum quality artworks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
My first cut is with the kids and if there is no interest, Craigslist/Ebay. If no takers, then it's Waste Management.
Done that, just lowballs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
They might be of interest to an archeology department of a University.
Tried that, never even got a response.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:36 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You say that you like them, you enjoy looking at them, and IMO there is no age at which we are too old to have and enjoy art.

I feel strongly that you should keep them, enjoy them, and enjoy looking at them every single day. You will not be around after you are gone, obviously; finding a new home for them is not something you need to participate in or worry about.

Let your kids or other heirs deal with this after you are gone. Communicate to them, either face to face or in a letter, how much these art works and their future locations mean to you.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:41 PM   #8

OK I had to google what they were. It says 13000BC-1500 ad. So this pieces are 500 years old at least. I think thats awesome. Email the tv show pawn stars. They give out quotes for things.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:50 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not equivalent to the OP, but we have several pieces that cost between $1000 and $2500 over the past 20 years that we've tired of, we have more art than wall space, and we expect to downsize. We'd be happy to get as low as 25 cents to the dollar. When I've tried to sell any of it, I also found almost zero interest with dealers and scarce bidding on eBay. Online consignment seems to just sit gathering electron dust. I did sell one piece for 10 cents on the dollar at a garage sale (hate them), the buyer wanted it another half off, I refused and she bought it anyway. So we have pieces we hang on to propped up 2-4 deep behind bedroom doors...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Not equivalent to the OP, but we have several pieces that cost between $1000 and $2500 over the past 20 years that we've tired of, we have more art than wall space, and we expect to downsize. We'd be happy to get as low as 25 cents to the dollar. When I've tried to sell any of it, I also found almost zero interest with dealers and scarce bidding on eBay. Online consignment seems to just sit gathering electron dust. I did sell one piece for 10 cents on the dollar at a garage sale (hate them), the buyer wanted it another half off, I refused and she bought it anyway. So we have pieces we hang on to propped up 2-4 deep behind bedroom doors...
Wow , if you could have gotten a written appraisal, you might have been better off donating it to a charity for a tax write off.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:15 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I know you already said you'd offered them to museums, but you didn't say which museums. For the southwest pieces, the Heard museum in Phoenix might be worth asking if they want them. Or maybe the Arizona State Museum at the University of Arizona might be interested. Apologies if you've already tried those institutions.

For the Caribbean/Taino piece, there are lots of little museums in the islands themselves that might actually want something like that and be less concerned with provenance... It sounds like a good excuse to take a cruise or a trip and see if there's any interest. Particularly if you know which island it hails from.
Zona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:26 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

These experiences of trying to sell pieces of unique and specific interest remind me the predominate value in art is in one's personal enjoyment.

Acquired a number of lower cost, but high quality prints from a photographer with a resume (Disney wildlife movies, NatGeo). Photographer spent tens of thousands of $$ and many hours to be in the right position. Late wife and I loved them, the kids could care less and friends weren't interested when it was time to clean up the old life.

Suggest you love them while you can and leave them to your heirs to dispose.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:48 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Ok, just to keep the thread really interesting, please post photo's of them, as I'm super vague on what they look like.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

We were in a similar situation and finally donated them all to The Discovery Shop. In our area, this shop has a clientele that actually appreciates nice things and all proceeds go to fight cancer. Plus we did take a tax deduction.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Let your kids or other heirs deal with this after you are gone.
I think this is the best answer for me. I really don't want to give them up; I was just thinking about finding a place that would want them so I could make advance arrangements. But continuing to beat my head against the wall with likely places is more trouble than it's worth.

Then again, it's always possible I'm just delusional and I'm the only one who really appreciates these things. Antiques are funny that way.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 07-05-2017, 06:46 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Whatever you do, don't lay the guilt trip on your kids that my Mother did on me. She's been gone 15 years (I still miss her very much) and I can't bring myself to throw away any of her junky stuff, let alone the few nice bits she left me. All my life, she made such a hullaballoo about how much these things "meant" and how she had to scrape to buy them, how much she loved her elderly friends who gave her scraps from the Victorian era, etc.

I just made myself throw out a tattered old bound volume of "Peterson's Magazine" from the 1870's. The print is so small I can barely read it with cheaters, and the stories aren't very good. But here I was, giving house room to it for 15 years, and still felt bad about throwing it away.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:05 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Tried that, never even got a response.
That really is too bad. Perhaps life is just too easy for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
You say that you like them, you enjoy looking at them, and IMO there is no age at which we are too old to have and enjoy art.

I feel strongly that you should keep them, enjoy them, and enjoy looking at them every single day. You will not be around after you are gone, obviously; finding a new home for them is not something you need to participate in or worry about.

Let your kids or other heirs deal with this after you are gone. Communicate to them, either face to face or in a letter, how much these art works and their future locations mean to you.
+1 We have things in the house that are from previous generations, we enjoy displaying them and also talking about them. We are also beginning to do this with our children, now that they all have families of their own.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Whatever you do, don't lay the guilt trip on your kids that my Mother did on me.
Good advice. No problem in my case (no kids). DW kept a few of my mother's Hummels, but everything else was gone within a year of her demise.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:03 AM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
+1 We have things in the house that are from previous generations, we enjoy displaying them and also talking about them. We are also beginning to do this with our children, now that they all have families of their own.
Sorry, not helpful advice for childless couples.

DM volunteered for a local non-profit that served people in need in the community. They ran a second hand goods shop that did a brisk business and made a fair profit. It was like an upscale version of a Goodwill Thrift shop, and their inventory was donated estates. They would take those ceramics in a heartbeat, and if you left a short description of the piece, they'd put it there for all to see. This is an option for the "after I'm gone" period.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:06 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like you've done a decent amount of work to try to find a good place for them. At this point I think I'd just enjoy them for the rest of my life and not worry about what happens to them. Why try to sell them now while you can still appreciate them?

Since you have no kids, what is your plan for all of your "stuff" when you go? I'd guess your executor will hold an estate sale, so these can be a part of it and maybe someone will buy and appreciate them. Even if they get it for a lowball price, I think it'd be kind of nice to imagine that someone who might not easily afford some nice artwork could get something like this and appreciate it. After all, you say you paid very little for them, whatever that means.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote