Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What to keep in wallet?
Old 06-29-2017, 11:03 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

What to keep in wallet?

Or maybe what not to keep. In case it's stolen or lost.

Money... (how much?)
Drivers License
Credit card(s)
Medical cards (insurance)
Emergency contacts... names, medications, Doctors, Address(es), Phones #'s
Voter ID
AARP card
Fishing, Hunting licenses
Gated Community Access cards
Passes
Personal Check for emergency money
Important phone numbers

Of course you realize that with all of that information in the hands of a "bad" person, your life will become a living hell.

So... what to do/change to get around this potential problem? And what can you add to the list?
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It might be more dangerous to lose a smartphone these days...but as to the wallet:

Money... (how much?) I don't carry much, easily replaceable
Drivers License My only picture ID, probably need to carry one
Credit card(s) We only have two CC's due to fraud concerns, both with automatic text & email alerts, so at least we could cut them off very quickly
Medical cards (insurance) I guess I could leave them at home, but if we're in an accident?
Costco card - it appears my CC also serves as a membership card, so I may quit carrying the membership card
Library card - no problem, easily replaceable
Various membership and reward cards - no problem, of no use to someone else, easily replaceable

Voter ID
AARP card
will never own one hopefully!
Passes
Important phone numbers

I fully understand the concern, but I'm not sure how I can carry any less?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Or maybe what not to keep. In case it's stolen or lost.

Money... (how much?)
Drivers License
Credit card(s)
Voter ID
AARP card
Passes
Important phone numbers

Of course you realize that with all of that information in the hands of a "bad" person, your life will become a living hell.

So... what to do/change to get around this potential problem? And what can you add to the list?
A lot of that stuff is scanned and in (available on) my phone. It's encrypted, and in the cloud. 2nd password on the phone. If I lose the phone, I can get it from computer/tablet, or on DW phone.

My wallet has:
  1. Drivers License
  2. 1 credit card
  3. 1 ATM card
  4. ~$40.

That's it.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I only carry:

Driver's license
Credit card
Health insurance card

On the other hand, my wife carries sooo many things in her wallet, including all of her loyalty/rewards/membership cards.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:49 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I carry a wallet and a separate card pouch which holds my noncash items. My wallet at times has contained some important noncash items, though. I have lost or had my "cash" wallet stolen twice in my life, but my noncash items such as drivers license and credit cards always remained in my possession.

The cards pouch has those see-through windows which came in handy for placing my monthly train pass back in my working days. It made it quick and easy to show the train crewman on request.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:58 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I carry:
Drivers license - because I drive (is also my "voter ID").
VA ID - because I need it when I go to the VA, though I could leave this in my car or at home unless I plan on going to the VA.
Weapons Permit - because I carry.
Credit cards - multiple because I use them for specific things.
Work badge - because otherwise I forget it too often.
Cash - Varies.

Loyalty/Store cards - on my phone via Key Ring app.
Insurance cards - on my phone via insurance apps.
Emergency contact - shown on my phone's lock screen.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I run pretty lean with my "Allett" (about 3/4" thick):

Money... (how much?) About $100-200
Drivers License Yep.
Credit card(s) Two..an Amex and Chase Visa
Medical cards (insurance) Sorta...military retiree ID card
Emergency contacts... names, medications, Doctors, Address(es), Phones #'s Nope. On the phone under "ICE"
Voter ID Not required, and I vote by mail
AARP card Yeah, not old enough
Fishing, Hunting licenses Weapons Carry Permit
Gated Community Access cards Nope
Passes Nope
Personal Check for emergency money Nope
Important phone numbers Nope, on phone.
Other: FAA Pilot's Certificate and medical, ATM card, Costco card, MARTA (public train for Atlanta) card and about 5 business cards w/ my contact information on them.

Sorry about the color..that's terrible! But too much of a pain to change, so you have to suffer.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:06 PM   #8

Money: ~$50 small bills (+ 2x$100 bills tucked away just in case)
Drivers License
3 Credit cards
2 affinity cards
2 transit cards
I have "ICE" in my phone
Voter ID
AARP card
Passes
Important phone numbers

Although I don't currently carry it, I used to carry a copy of my last EKG, which I'd read EMTs look for in emergencies to know what's "normal" for you.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:07 PM   #9

I needed to get my wallet to do this post, a miniature copy of my police shield, my retired work ID card, gun permit, union prescription card, 9/11 prescription card, car registration, gym membership, picture of my best friend(my dog), eye glass benefit card , drivers license, atm card, discover credit card,Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance ,GHI card, business card from the owner of the caviar place i go to.(paramount Caviar), an old list of my presciptions (10 of them on the list), a postage stamp, and 40 bucks. I carry a separate money clip with the real cabbage.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:11 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

These posts reminds me of a "classic" Seinfeld episode when George's wallet just couldn't take anymore...makes me laugh every time I see it!

Old 06-29-2017, 12:13 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
Insurance cards - on my phone via insurance apps.
I did not think about that. Thanks for the tip!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:17 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I don't use a wallet most of the time. Around the neighborhood, I just plop 3 cards in my pocket:
driver license
fav credit card
health insurance card

I've sometimes forgotten to take anything when I went grocery shopping. After having my groceries bagged, I reached in my pocket to pay and came up empty.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I don't use a wallet most of the time. Around the neighborhood, I just plop 3 cards in my pocket:
driver license
fav credit card
health insurance card

I've sometimes forgotten to take anything when I went grocery shopping. After having my groceries bagged, I reached in my pocket to pay and came up empty.
Did they let you slide? My mother bought about $11 dollars worth of stuff at the local grocery store when we first moved here. When she went for her money, she had lost it. The bookkeeper/lead cashier swiped her personal credit card. When mom came home she told me she lost her money. Turns out it was stuck in a crease in her pocket. I went to the store gave the good Samaritan $20, and said mom had money(I think they thought she was just a broke old lady). To this day I still go out of my way to say hello to her, she renewed my faith in my fellow man.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 06-29-2017, 12:29 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I bought a minimalist wallet and love it. Driver's license, ATM card, CC, insurance card and room for 3-4 bills. What else do you need.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Did they let you slide? My mother bought about $11 dollars worth of stuff at the local grocery store when we first moved here. When she went for her money, she had lost it. The bookkeeper/lead cashier swiped her personal credit card. When mom came home she told me she lost her money. Turns out it was stuck in a crease in her pocket. I went to the store gave the good Samaritan $20, and said mom had money(I think they thought she was just a broke old lady). To this day I still go out of my way to say hello to her, she renewed my faith in my fellow man.
Similar thing happened to me a while back. We'd just moved to our current house and I walked to the local neighborhood grocery for a few things, then realized at checkout that I'd forgotten my wallet. The cashier ran a receipt 'off book' on a spare register, I gave her my phone #, then I called her 15 mins later with a CC number, after I got home.

+1 on renewing faith in my fellow (wo)man!
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I did not think about that. Thanks for the tip!
Happy someone got something out of my post

I'm a big fan of putting things on the phone, which is one of the reasons that I don't have "ICE" in my contacts - my phone is going to be locked unless I unlock it so emergency responders won't be accessing my contract list. Thus I have my ICE info ("ICE - Name - Phone Number) as text on my lock screen. My phone can access shopping, banking, insurance, etc (granted most need passwords) so I like the extra security of locking the phone just in case it's stolen.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:39 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
Thus I have my ICE info ("ICE - Name - Phone Number) as text on my lock screen.
I have also done this along with an email address in case it gets lost and some nice soul wants to let me know. I don't think it's a highly prized cell phone anyway..it can be had brand new for less than $100.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #18

Quote:
40 bucks. I carry a separate money clip with the real cabbage.
Man, now THAT's old school!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:46 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Did they let you slide?
It was a big cart of groceries. I live a couple minutes away, so they put my bags in a cart by the customer service desk and I went home and came back with my credit card to retrieve my groceries. There wasn't even time for the ice cream to melt.

When I was in my 20s, I used to just run a tab at the local grocery store. They'd send a bill once a month in the mail.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:22 PM   #20

My dad had a recipe box behind the counter of his delicatessen. It contained index cards with the running tabs of many households. It was mostly for the wives that were receiving allotment checks from their young husbands that were serving overseas (1960's, early 70's). He would cash their allotment checks and they would settle their tab. It turned out to be a good business move, most of them that didnt move out of the neighborhood, stayed loyal customers despite his prices being higher than the supermarket that was only 5 blocks away.