Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-30-2015, 04:45 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have the same issue. The deck is one of the few remaining things from when we bought the house (along with a sliding glass door, the water pressure tank and what is now the beer fridge) so it is at least 10 years old, and likely more like 15 years old.

A couple years ago I cleaned and lightly pressure washed it and applied two coats of Thompson's Water Seal. It has held up well but needs to be refreshed and that was this week's project (but is now next week's project).

A neighbor friend did the 4x thing a few weeks ago so I'll see how it works out for him. Once I'm convinced that the new products work in this environment, I'll do that if it is still structurally sound.

pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 04:51 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Definitely don't paint it. Use a good stain like TWP, which is what all the pros in my area recommend. I do mine every three years and it works great.

http://www.restore-a-deck.com/TWP-Stain-Reviews.html

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 07-30-2015, 05:00 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I think whatever stain or treatment you use, you'll get pretty much the same results. Decent coverage for a year or two, then rinse and repeat.

As far as the cracks in the boards, here's a link to an article on a website (SFGate) I like for information about homes and gardens. They say:

Quote:
Try unscrewing cracked boards and turn them upside down. The bottom side of the board often is in better shape. If the bottom of the board also is cracked, or is in worse shape than the top, inject the cracks with flexible polyurethane caulk. Deck boards expand and contract; any other type of wood filler -- such as wood putty -- also will crack after a few weeks or months, so don't use it. Purchase a dark-brown or colored caulk to match the wood color. Some of the cracks or splits can be clamped and bonded back together. Liberally inject waterproof resin glue into the cracks or splits. Place clamps across them and tighten until glue oozes out or the crack is closed. Allow the clamps to remain on the boards overnight before removing them.
Based on my limited knowledge of woodworking, this sounds like excellent advice. I'll have to keep it in mind when I get around to redoing the deck on our rental townhouse.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:42 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We went with the Behr Deckover product from Home Depot. The deck is 12 yrs old and decking pressure treated Fir. I don't think they had the 4X version when we bought ours last year on sale Memorial Day weekend. We had used the "regular" Behr product previously and it did not hold up very well on the horizontal surfaces. The new stuff comes in matching colors so we were able to re-do the deck without having to re-do the PIA spindles. We screwed up and only put one coat on in the fall but it held up pretty well over the winter and we put two more coats on at the beginning of last year which are holding up very well but we expect it will need a touch up (or more) after 3 seasons. Big Improvement over everything else we tried. Over the years we gave up on transparent and semi-transparent stains and even the solid color stains just would not hold up to the sun. The deckover stuff is thick and you pretty much lose all the wood grain but I dont care anymore about that!
Old 07-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #25

Just had our large, 25 year old cedar deck refinished. Had a carpenter in to replace quite a few boards. Then the refinished sandblasted it, then sanded some rough spots, then applied by brush a Sikkens oil based stain. Looks great but I don't expect if to last more than 2-3 years. Looks great. Whole job cost about $25k and I think might cost $80-100k to replace the whole thing.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:55 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
OK... here are the pics

Wow... do not know how to attach properly...

There is a pic of the deck I have not cleaned... the whole deck looked like this or worse...

A pic of the section I have cleaned...

And a pick of the top left part of the pic up close to show the surface cracks....
Looks just like my deck, so I share the dilemma. Our deck is 28 years old FWIW.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:13 PM   #27

Consumer Reports has written a lot on decks and staining. 10 years ago they wrote that there wasn't a stain on the market that lasted more than 3 years. Now they seem to like a few products. A snippet from their latest report.
Quote:
Washing and sanding are typical first steps to staining a deck. But as mentioned above, remember that sanding a wood deck treated with chromated copper arsenate (CCA) releases toxic arsenic into the air and surrounding soil. Call a pro if your deck was built before 2004 and its finish is flaking. If you'll be pressure-washing a newer wood deck, read instructions before starting and cover adjacent landscaping with plastic sheeting. The pressure needed is typically 1,500 PSI; a wide-angle spray tip of 25 to 40 degrees creates a relatively wide spray that protects the wood. Angle the spray and keep it between 6 and 12 inches away from wood surfaces.
They go on to break down the product offerings into 3 categories of wood treatment: solid stain, semitransparent, and clear. Solid is like paint, clear shows all the natural wood grain. The solid can last years but after a couple of coats the paint starts to peel and chip. As you move toward clear you show much more of the wood beauty but need to refinish much more frequently, probably every year or two.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:02 PM   #28

I have 4 painted decks that came with the house. I have been repainting this last few weeks. Seems like it would be just as much work to stain as to paint? Paint on the horizontal is lasting 2-5 years, depending on the method and traffic.

Composite decking would be nice but I think to do it all, it would cost more than our house does.

Winter as well as sun takes its toll on the paint.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:25 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
I have 4 painted decks that came with the house. I have been repainting this last few weeks. Seems like it would be just as much work to stain as to paint? Paint on the horizontal is lasting 2-5 years, depending on the method and traffic.

Composite decking would be nice but I think to do it all, it would cost more than our house does.

Winter as well as sun takes its toll on the paint.

I still have to look some more, but I keep reading about sealant that all you do it spray it on... if that is the case, then much easier than stain or paint... and I could do that every 2 or 3 years....
Old 07-30-2015, 10:40 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have. Deck that is rough so I cleaned it and used a Bauer product I got at Home Depot. It went on like pudding. Finish is amazing. I was shocked

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-30-2015, 11:30 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Our friend's deck is 20 yrs old and looked perhaps worse than yours. We applied "Behr premium solid color weather proofing wood stain" since a neighbor recommended it. He does a re-coat every couple of years. We applied 2 coats, using a deck pad where possible to speed the process. Horizontal surfaces went surprisingly quickly. You could probably single coat the area in you picture an hour. The railing spindles were a pain, as mentioned earlier.

The final result looks incredible, almost like paint, since the "solid color" pigment is so thick. We didn't do anything to prep the the deck before applying stain (no power wash or chemical prep); we'll see if we regret this later.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:19 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Sorry - I meant to say Behr Deckover in my post, not Deck Restore (which is the Rustoleum product - I used their 10X on our concrete walkway - it was like painting with thick vanilla frosting but we love the way it looks now ).

Because the boards themselves are weathered, the wood grain is still fairly apparent even through the 4X Deckover. However, I read somewhere that younger people are so used to manmade deck materials that they don't even like woodgrain. So, if you are looking to sell the home, lack of wood grain may even be to your advantage!

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
We went with the Behr Deckover product from Home Depot. The deckover stuff is thick and you pretty much lose all the wood grain
Old 07-31-2015, 08:21 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post
I have. Deck that is rough so I cleaned it and used a Bauer product I got at Home Depot. It went on like pudding. Finish is amazing. I was shocked....
I'm just wondering how that product will hold up and look in a year or two. If it holds up well, it is well worth the cost and effort, but I'm skeptical.

Also, we clear snow off our deck during the winter which adds to the wear and tear.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:25 AM   #34

I've got a 10' x 30' deck that looks pretty bad, and I've been considering the Behr 4x product. It's not a very expensive product overall, and if it lasted 2 years it'd not be too bad to clean and resurface the deck.

I built another deck out of Trex. The trick to Trex is to pressure wash it a couple of times per year. My pressure washer has just been fixed, and I plan to clean it shortly. Even with a chemical cleaner, my Trex doesn't even look that good--for the money spent.

If I was building another deck, I think I'd just be going with #1 pressure treated pine--the best quality available. The wood deck mentioned above is #2 and it's just not held up very well. Cedar and other woods are just too expensive, especially when you're building a very large deck. Sometimes it's just as cheap to do concrete if you're on ground level.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:36 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm just wondering how that product will hold up and look in a year or two.
+1

If you search on "deck restore" on YouTube it brings up far too many 'deck disaster' titles for my comfort.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:56 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

The deck of my high-country home is 10-year old. It was originally stained the same color as the house with a penetrating oil stain. Then, it started to fade after 1 year. This should be expected, and the stain was to be reapplied. However, the builder in honoring the warranty reapplied the stain with a different brand. This was a thicker type that coated more like a paint, and the wood was completely covered. It looked good, but started to wear out after 3 years. So, we reapplied the same type once more.

At the 7th year, disaster struck. The paint layer started peeling off. It looked awful. Yet, in places it still stuck well enough that a pressure washer could not get it off. So the deck now looks blotchy.

By researching and talking to the locals, I learned that the stain to use is a penetrating type with linseed oil. And I would not use the original brand that was used. Its rating was not that good. If I were to do it all over again, I would demand that the boards were stained on all sides, not just the top surface after they got installed.

So now, I just applied the stain to the spots where the paint has peeled. Hopefully with time, in another year or two and the old layer completely peels off, the whole surface will look uniform again.

When I redo the deck it is going to be composite. With a 1000 sq.ft. deck, it is going to cost a bit of money. A composite deck does hold the heat, but that is not a problem at 7000 ft elevation.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:01 AM   #37

Once my new deck starts looking bad I may go with outdoor carpeting. Cool underfoot, no cracking, peeling or splinters, uniform color and no need to reapply every year or two.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:15 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps they took too literally, the videos showing people effortlessly applying the product from a standing position with no preparation, and then dancing barefoot on the finish? Or heaven forbid...attempting to SPRAY the product? (Picture thick liquid substance hitting a rotating fan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

If you search on "deck restore" on YouTube it brings up far too many 'deck disaster' titles for my comfort.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:15 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

In my case, there is a real reason for the deck. No concrete, brick, or carpet, as the deck is as high as 8 ft off the ground because the house is on a ridge. I own 1/2 or maybe 1/3 of a hill.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:18 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Perhaps they took too literally, the videos showing people effortlessly applying the product from a standing position with no preparation, and then dancing barefoot on the finish? Or heaven forbid...attempting to SPRAY the product? (Picture thick liquid substance hitting a rotating fan)
I only looked at a couple of them but both claimed to have carefully followed the directions for preparation and application. Who really knows...