View Poll Results: Which game system
WII 15 30.00%
XBox 13 26.00%
Playstation 3 13 26.00%
I just want to vote (or the original Atarii) 9 18.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

What type game system
Old 12-29-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What type game system

OK... the kids are willing to pool their money together and want to buy a game system... one wants one kind and the other a different one...

SOOOO, due to the collective knowledge etc. of the crowd picking out something better... I am doing a poll....

If you want, give me some reasons... The older one wants to play online etc., so that is a consideration....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
gone traveling

The last video game I played was "Pong"... once....in ~1975?
Never understood the fascination; too many other things I'd rather do.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
gone traveling

I voted Xbox 360 mostly because I have some July 11 calls I would like to see double.
79protons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79protons View Post
I voted Xbox 360 mostly because I have some July 11 calls I would like to see double.
My son's nephew and niece were playing various Kinect games over Christmas. They sometimes played 4 hours non-stop. Pretty good game IMO.

Ha
Old 12-30-2010, 05:35 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We have a wii, great fun for people of all ages. But not an option for serious gamers IMO.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:58 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

PS3. It also serves as a Blue Ray player and an Internet streaming video player.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:20 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
We have a wii, great fun for people of all ages. But not an option for serious gamers IMO.
Agree. I specifically bought a Wii because the system and games are more age appropriate for my kids (4 and 6), but it is a step down in hardcore gamer-nerdness vs the Xbox.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Curious about the responses of fellow wise gamers...

Texas, how old are your kids?

I have a 4 and a 5 y.o. I'm thinking Wii might be best option for them right now. Then get an xbox 720 or ps4 when they come out.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Curious about the responses of fellow wise gamers...
I'm far from a wise gamer but our 5 grandkids (ages 3 - 12) have a Wii and love it. They even talked grandma into getting her one to help exercise (Wii Fit). Of course that was just an excuse to give them something to play with when they visit...
Old 12-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I voted Xbox since I think it combined with the Kinect is probably the most versatile choice right now: Serious enough for real gamers to enjoy yet probably suitable for the much younger and older crowd as well.

We have a Wii since that is what the daughter wanted; and, it was the cheapest choice at the time. She still loves it as does her grandmother. But, I do not find it terribly appealing. This is a good thing all the way around since I lost many hours of sleep after first discovering Doom.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

If one wants to play online, then the XBOX is the way to go. Pretty impressive online play system. One thing to note, however, is that xbox live (the online play system) is subscription based. I think it is 80 bucks a year or so. So, that is something to consider.

PS3 and XBOX are pretty similar, other than the online experience. XBOX is way ahead of the curve. If your oldest is over 12/13, then I'd suggest one of these systems over the Wii. More titles for your oldest to enjoy, and there still should be plenty of other titles for the young'uns to enjoy.

edit - donheff makes a good point too. The PS3 is one of the best video players out there. It can upscale your standard definition dvd's to look awesome on your HDTV. Most dvd players do not scale 480p well to 1080p. The PS3 does this for you and it looks fantastic (I have one). So....uh, it all depends on your priorities.

Xbox for online play, PS3 for dvd/blu-ray. I believe both can stream youtube and netflix videos.
oneils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:37 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
I agree completely. I have a Wii, and voted for the Wii because ALL the kids and the entire family can enjoy it. There is something for everybody. It isn't the choice of serious gamers, though, so you may wish to think about how many in your family fall into that category. If "Child A" is a serious gamer, and "Child B" is not, then giving them an X-Box might be more like a gift to "Child A" only. Giving them a Wii would be a gift to both.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

The Xbox due to Kinect. My nephews have it and they love it. They are 5 and 8 years old and have no problem playing the kinect games. We got them a Wii game for Christmas, they played it for 2 minutes then went back to the Xbox.

I'd like an xbox but you need the 250gb console with kinect bundle which is $399 plus Xbox live fee for $40-$55 a year. I have a Wii which I don't use so if i got the xbox it'd gather dust to probably.
ikonomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #14

Wii is a lot of fun, but the other systems have similar motion systems now. The graphics are inferior (480p).

X-box lost some luster when the HD-DVD format died. Great system with some cool exclusive games. No controllers, true motion capture with the new Kinect.

PS3 is a great system and had the bonus of having the Bluray player. It new motion capture controls are more like the Wii.

We own a PS3 and a Wii. If you don't play, you should. Some of the games are more like movies. Great stories and characters.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #15

We just bought a PS3, but we have no intention of playing any games. We just use it to play blu ray movies and downloaded video.
kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

My daughter's family has a Wii and so do we. The children in her family are 3, 6 and 36 and they all have a great time. There are lots of programs to suit a variety of skills and interests.

I use Fit on our system, and should play it more.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have PS3, Wii, Xbox360, Gamecube, N64. No kids in our house, not counting me. I use PS3 frequently, because it's my only means of playing blu-rays, Xbox360 occasionally because it plays all the DVDs I've burned, the Wii rarely (though my wife and I played Wii tennis a lot at first). I should be using Wii Fit, but I just never got started with it. I don't have my Gamecube or N64 hooked up anymore. Years ago, I beat Zelda, but then pretty much lost interest in gaming. I plan to get back to it when I'm more bored with real life.

(I didn't see how to vote. I did have Pong, by the way, but I seem to have discarded it.)
Old 12-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #18

Xbox 360 + Kinect seems to be the best choice at the moment if you don't have a strong familial interest in games that are exclusive to a single platform.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
...pretty much lost interest in gaming. I plan to get back to it when I'm more bored with real life.
Here's something you can do with those old games: Air Force builds huge supercomputer by linking 1,760 PlayStation 3s -
Old 12-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have an xbox and two grand kids 8 and 15. The 8 year old hits it within 10 min of getting here. They have a Wii. I think the plan is to trade our xbox for their Wii. They want the kinect. I am thinking of replacing it with the PS3 for the DVD player.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote