Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What type of iPad do you own?
iPad with Retina Display (WiFi only) 19 33.33%
iPad with Retina Display (WiFi + Cellular) 12 21.05%
iPad 1 or 2 (WiFi only) 16 28.07%
iPad 1 or 2 (WiFi + Cellular) 14 24.56%
iPad mini (WiFi) 4 7.02%
iPad mini (WiFi + Cellular) 2 3.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW just got an iPad (4) with retina display. My iPad 2 display is awesome, I couldn't imagine how it could be better. But compared side-by-side with the same images, it's amazing how sharp the retina display is. I wouldn't replace my iPad 2 for it, but it's a striking difference IMO.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I have the new iPad (4?) and the old iPad 1. I dont use the old iPad anymore. The new one is so fast that I use it on the road - I don't take a laptop anymore. DW has a MacBook that has been on the shelf since getting her iPad 3.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Ipad2 and love it.

Great for travel, but seem to also carry it around the house too! So easy to use. however miss being able to download some videos..hope they fix that. Am thinking about also getting a kindle or a mini ipad also as the full size Ipad is a bit too heavy for using as a reader.
itsmyparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nexus 7, and certified Google nut.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Nexus 7, and certified Google nut.

grasshopper,

Glad to hear you like your Nexus 7.

(Back in January, when this thread was started, we also had a parallel poll and thread for reporting on non-iPad tablets http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ave-64553.html ).

omni

l
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets

Received the IPad 2 for my 60th birthday. The best gift I ever received. I got an IPhone 5 in November which I seem to use that more now and my husband has taken over the IPad.
Mppayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I have the Ipad 1......bugs me that it does not have a delete key....can not print.....have to buy apps that are free for PC's and because it is a ipad 1 it locks up a lot.

So last month I got a Yoga Ideabook 13" fold like a pad or opens like a laptop.....so nice
Old 04-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #28

I have a motorola xoom tablet (android). That wasn't an option in your poll.

I'll put it up against your iPad... I love it. When I first got it 18 months ago, I was like Gollum in Lord of the Rings... stroking it and calling it my pressssshhhusssss.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

They should be coming out with a new iPad soon, for those who talked about upgrading or buying.

Rumors are that the full-sized iPad would be styled more like the Mini, with minimal bezels.

It's not clear if they can do the Retina display on the Mini this year because the Retina uses more battery and the Mini has room for a smaller battery.

Yeah I can see getting a Mini with Retina to replace my iPad 3.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I have the new iPad (4?) and the old iPad 1. I dont use the old iPad anymore.
I bought the iPad 3 last year and after I bought it I used the trade in program at Apple to trade in my iPad 1 for an Apple gift card. You might want to check the trade in program if you want to get rid of your old iPad.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post

I bought the iPad 3 last year and after I bought it I used the trade in program at Apple to trade in my iPad 1 for an Apple gift card. You might want to check the trade in program if you want to get rid of your old iPad.
Thanks for the tip! I'll check into it.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #32

I started with iPad 1 shortly after it came out and upgraded to the 4 with retina display in December. DW also started with a 1 at the same time as me. When we upgraded, she decided on the mini as it would easily fit in her handbag. Both are 64gb with Verizon LTE. When we got the 1s, I got an AT&T 3G, because we lived in Japan but I travelled to the US often enough that I felt I needed it. DW's did not have 3G. Mine was 32gb because I was going to use it for work. Hers was 16 because she didn't work outside the home. We went with the 64gbs so we could download movies to watch while traveling. Probably didn't need to because we have Hulu and Netflix plus of course rentals from aapl. But it will be nice while dry camping, if we get bored.

My next iPad will be when the mini comes with retina or better, and 10hr+ battery life.

Btw, I still use the iPad 1, just keep I in the other room and if I need to look up something, it is handy.

R
Old 04-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911
I have the Ipad 1......bugs me that it does not have a delete key....can not print.....have to buy apps that are free for PC's and because it is a ipad 1 it locks up a lot.

So last month I got a Yoga Ideabook 13" fold like a pad or opens like a laptop.....so nice
I have an iPad 1 and it prints great. I thought you couldn't print with it either. I had the darn thing almost 2 years until someone on this forum told me other wise, and he was correct. Prints wirelessly with a wireless printer.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I have an iPad 1 and it prints great. I thought you couldn't print with it either. I had the darn thing almost 2 years until someone on this forum told me other wise, and he was correct. Prints wirelessly with a wireless printer.
+1. My iPad is a 2. I do not have an Air Printer. My printer is a Brother MFC9320CW. I downloaded the Brother iPrint and Scan app and it works fine for documents, where the arrow icon opens a menu which includes it. I can even save as a PDF.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote