Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What type of iPad do you own?
iPad with Retina Display (WiFi only) 19 33.33%
iPad with Retina Display (WiFi + Cellular) 12 21.05%
iPad 1 or 2 (WiFi only) 16 28.07%
iPad 1 or 2 (WiFi + Cellular) 14 24.56%
iPad mini (WiFi) 4 7.02%
iPad mini (WiFi + Cellular) 2 3.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

What type of iPad do you have?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What type of iPad do you have?

For those who have iPads, I'm wondering which type you have and if you got WiFi only or the WiFi+ (3g or cellular)?
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #2

We've had 3 ipads:
original + wifi + cell
2nd gen + wifi + cell
mini

Only used the cell when on trips, much less than we originally thought. Today, I wouldn't get cell if your phone can serve as a hotspot.

Size-wise, I really prefer the mini for most activities. The only time I would like full size one is when reading a document that doesn't scale well (some webpages, pdf files).
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have the iPad with retina display with wifi and 3G. I do use the 3G quite a bit.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have the iPad with retina display and WIFI only. On the rare occasion that I might need 3G I can turn on the wifi hotspot on my iPhone 5. So far I haven't needed it.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have had 3 iPads. Well, the household anyway.

I had the original with WiFi and 3G. After a few months I dropped the 3G subscription. However, I liked still having the option to reactivate it if I wanted to. I did find that I missed having the 3G available.

I bought a retina display with WiFi and 4G a few months ago. I could get 4G for $10 a month through my Verizon phone account so that seemed reasonable and I signed up. 4G is way better than 3G.

I bought DH a mini iPad with 4G for this Christmas. He really likes it and I like how light it is. You give up a little screen real estate but the lightness tradeoff seems worth it. The negative is that it doesn't have retina display. If they come out with a mini with retina display I would be tempted to replace my full size one with the mini when I get ready to replace it.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

2 iPad 3rd gen with wifi and LTE
1 1st gen with wifi and 3G

4th gen coming soon.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I bought an original iPad, about 3 years ago. I would like to get a new one, but the thing, including battery won't wear out, and I use it hours on end daily when watching tv or lounging around. I cant make myself buy another one when this thing is just fine. I only have the wireless, 16. Every hotel I go to has the "resort fee" which includes Internet, so there is no need to get the phone plan for me. I download rental movies and watch when I travel. I bought my GF a new one for Christmas (she has never had one) and she said it is the best present she ever got. Must have lived a sheltered life concerning Christmas, I guess.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #8

still have an original 16GB + Wifi. Has served me very well...but its about time to pull the trigger and upgrade...I'm find more apps to be unstable.
Closet_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I have an iPad 2, and have not been motivated to get one with higher resolution because I don't see any pixels and the resolution looks great to me. I have wifi only since I use my iphone on the road. Also, when traveling I have found that motels always seem to have wifi these days.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've had two iPads. The first one was the 1st generation, 16 gigs with 3G. I discovered that I didn't really need the 3G capability, especially since I travel with a wifi card. Therefore, when I purchased my second iPad I selected wifi only. My DW has the new iPad mini. It's really light weight. I like it especially for reading.
Covbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covbro View Post
My DW has the new iPad mini. It's really light weight. I like it especially for reading.
Yeah the mini is much better for reading. That way when you fall asleep in bed it doesn't hurt so much when it smacks you in the face.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Yeah the mini is much better for reading. That way when you fall asleep in bed it doesn't hurt so much when it smacks you in the face.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

We have 3 iPads. I have a retina display with 4g that DW got me for Christmas. I also have an iPad 1 with 3G that I deactivated when I got the new one. DW has a wi-FI only iPad 2. I'm always on this thing
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I have an iPad2 wifi only because it was "new" at the time. Upgrade isn't necessary IMO but I would buy whatever is the latest when buying. I've seen the old and retina display side by side and retina display is noticeably nicer, BUT unless you see them side by side, I doubt most people would view the old resolution display as inferior in any way.

And 90% of iPads sold are wifi only. Makes perfect sense to me, especially as smartphones are beginning to act as hot spots, but I don't need to debate the point. You may have noticed that the new Microsoft Surface doesn't even offer cellular, that's telling IMO.

Sorry, carriers, 9 out of 10 tablets sold are Wi-Fi — Tech News and Analysis

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

And 90% of iPads sold are wifi only. Makes perfect sense to me, especially as smartphones are beginning to act as hot spots, but I don't need to debate the point. You may have noticed that the new Microsoft Surface doesn't even offer cellular, that's telling IMO.

Sorry, carriers, 9 out of 10 tablets sold are Wi-Fi — Tech News and Analysis

Good article. Thanks. It makes sense to not keep paying for connection fees (cellular service) if you can share across your devices via hot spotting.

I have a Samsung Epic II smart phone through Sprint. I was told that Sprint has disabled the built-in tethering feature...which I assume means that it cannot be used as a hot spot without purchasing a hot spot device (some currently offered thru Sprint for free) and paying an additional monthly fee for the hot spot. Someone please correct me if I have been misinformed.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #16

iPad 4, with wifi + 3G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550
For those who have iPads, I'm wondering which type you have and if you got WiFi only or the WiFi+ (3g or cellular)?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

iPad 2 with WiFi + 3G. The 3G was nice before I retired since I did lots of commuting and travel and is still nice to use on an occasional (buy a month of data if needed) basis if I'll be out of town a lot. Another plus of the "+ 3G" model is the internal GPS chip which is not included in the WiFi only version.
Greg V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I bought an original iPad, about 3 years ago. I would like to get a new one, but the thing, including battery won't wear out, and I use it hours on end daily when watching tv or lounging around. I cant make myself buy another one when this thing is just fine. I only have the wireless, 16....
DH gave me one of the original models just a few months after they came out. I use it primarily as my "kitchen computer" as well as while watching TV and when traveling. I'm afraid to go in and look at the new ones as I'm sure I'd be struck with "new device envy".
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #19

I took the plunge and bought myself the iPad Mini. It's beautiful!

Three years ago I got a free iPod Touch by opening a bank account, making a few required transactions and then leaving the account open for 6 months. I love the thing but the iOs can't be upgraded and many of the apps can't be updated. Also, I was finding the small screen was getting more difficult to read. That's not an iPod issue, that's a Sue J aging issue.

I considered the full sized iPad until I got a chance to try my son's new iPad with the retina display. The screen was gorgeous but after a few minutes the iPad felt very heavy to hold. So when the mini came out, that seemed like something to consider.

I'm really frugal/thrifty/cheap, especially when it comes to spending money on myself so I thought about this for a while. I saw that Walmart had a price rollback on the model that I wanted - 16GB wifi only model for $299 instead of $329. I really wanted to handle one in a store before buying but they didn't have one open. Bought it anyway.

I'm very happy with my purchase. The size is perfect! Big enough to see clearly and show pages well but not so heavy that the weight is an issue. I can easily hold it in one hand for a long time. Using it is easy and intuitive, most of it works just like my old iPod Touch only BIGGER.

I had the cash for this for a while from a birthday in Feb. and extra cash that I had just accumulated. I even splurged on the official Apple cover with the magnetic hinge thingy. Nice!

My old iPod Touch went to DH. He has a laptop and an old music iPod but no handheld wireless devices. I reset the iPod Touch so he could start fresh and added his email. He's having a great time with it.

I love new electronics!
Old 04-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I have an iPad with Retina Display and it is very nice. However, I bought DH an iPad Mini for Christmas and he loves it and I really like it well. The smaller screen size and the non-retina display are a very fair trade off for the light weight and smaller size. When it comes time to trade in my iPad I will almost certainly go for a Mini but that probably won't be for another year or two.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote