Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-08-2017, 05:07 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To me the iphone and the Samsung Galaxy are way overpriced for delivered value. I own a Galaxy S7.

My next phone will be much cheaper.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My DW and I alternate years getting new iPhones. She has an iPhone 7 and I have a 6S+.

I'm very much looking forward to a new iPhone 8 this fall. The feature I'm hoping for the most is wireless charging. We'll see.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #43

For the Neanderthal types (such as myself) I can speak highly of my Motorola Moto E (1st gen) a just the basics smart phone costing the princely sum of $20. It works surprisingly well with the Tracfone account which costs me $99 a year for 1200 call minutes/1200 texts and 1.2 g of data which actually lasts me a year just fine since the great majority of the time I have access to wifi for calling and data.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:57 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Neither of our Moto G4's have ads....what are you talking about?

On the last part, similar experience with my S2, replaced battery and it still couldn't last a whole day.
Amazon has a deal on the G4 (not g4 play) where the phone is much cheaper if you allow ads to be on the screen when you are locked. Same thing they do with kindle fires... Both my sons have the amazon moto g4 with ads. They ignore the ads. The ads are downloaded/stored when you're on wifi... so they don't use data.

I have the moto g4 without ads. Best phone I've had in a while.

Like many here - I do not need the latest/greatest... but did get this phone this past december... my old phone's battery wouldn't support pokemen go without being plugged into an external battery. Yes - I'm a middle aged (old?) woman who plays pokemon go. That was the driver for changing phones. The G4 has excellent battery life and is a great phone.

My husband is in the market for a new phone. His moto e3 is constantly running out of memory - so he goes through the process of deleting apps, dumping pictures... only to have to rinse/repeat a week later.

Based on pb4uski's post - I'm looking at the moto g4 play. He likes a small form factor and that seems to fit the bill.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:22 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Actually I had the G4 for a few weeks... I loved the phone but just found it a bit large for my liking... luckily, DW xpressed an interest in getting a new phone and liked mine so I gave her my G4 and went out and bought a G4 Play. It's only 1/2" smaller but makes a big difference in my pant's pocket.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #46

Alcatel 392 flip phone through Tracfone..
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
What type of phone do you use or recommend?
Old 05-09-2017, 03:10 PM   #47

What type of phone do you use or recommend?

I have a Moto G 4gen from Amazon Prime. It was $150, but now I see it for $100.
Works great except the camera lens cover is scratched up. Hoping someone sells a new lens cover soon.
Apple got to expensive for the nominal difference in quality. $1,000 for a piece of hardware sure to be obsolete in two years doesn't suit my mentality.

Edit - new cover available on eBay for four bucks with shipping.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #48

Love my iPhone SE, provided through my PT job.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:21 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Just retired my iPhone 5S after nearly 4yrs, only complaint was running low on 16gb memory. Inherited DD's 2 yr old iPhone 6 with 64gb when battery died and she upgraded to iPhone 7. Had new battery installed for $55 and it's an upgrade for me, heck it's pristine I doubt it ever even left her hands.
greydog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
The best smartphone I have is the Motorola E 2nd Generation. I think I paid about $55 for it 2 years ago.
Very happy with my Moto E. Paid less than $30 for a new one. No flash on the camera, though.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:29 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Got a Moto G4 Play around $120. UNLOCKED. Does everything I want without all the service provider manipulation.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Thanks for mentioning Project Fi. DW could use a new phone and going with a Nexus 5x + Project Fi would be please her. Then I could move my Nexus 6P over to Project Fi which I've been exceedingly slow to pull the trigger on. We currently use Tmobil so wouldn't be a big change for us, just lower costs of maybe $60/mo versus $90/mo.
You're welcome. After making my post earlier in this thread I went to the PureTalk site to check on DW's service. It turned out that they had canceled her $10/month family plan and moved her to a $20/month plan without even notifying us. So I decided to switch her to Project Fi, too. I checked CraigsList and found a brand new (aka refurb) Nexus 5x for $250. I offered $175 and the idiot child (aka 20-ish young man) owner took the offer. He is lusting after the $600 Pixel. From the talking to him, my guess is that $600 is close to his weekly gross pay. Do I think he'll RE? No.

My cost on Fi will be $35 for the two phones plus a few bucks for data. Maybe less. My data bill this month, with six days left in the billing cycle, is again under a dollar.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

iPhone 6 Plus. Will likely look at the iPhone 8. But I'm an Apple Fanboi and we've been an Apple household for a long time. All of our computers (save one Linux laptop and a Raspberry Pi) are Apples, as are our tablets, iPhones, watches, TV streaming boxes, Wifi router...

I've occasionally been disappointed, but not enough to change to another infrastructure.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:41 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I'm quite happy with my iPhone SE. I especially enjoy using it with my Apple Watch.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Actually I had the G4 for a few weeks... I loved the phone but just found it a bit large for my liking... luckily, DW xpressed an interest in getting a new phone and liked mine so I gave her my G4 and went out and bought a G4 Play. It's only 1/2" smaller but makes a big difference in my pant's pocket.
Also have the G4, and like it, and the price. I don't use my smartphone much, but when I do, I appreciate the bigger screen. But it is awkward in a pocket. I sure prefer my old flip for being 'pocket friendly', and the flip protects the screen against scratches and drops - but no data.

I hope they come out with some magic before I get much older - some kind of fold-able, or roll-out, or projection type display. A larger extended screen in a phone that would be half the size of this phone would be great. Doesn't seem to be on the horizon though.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Regarding size, to me the bigger the better if it can fit in your pants. The larger screen size means pictures look better when showing them to people and more text fits on the screen. Plus when I don't have my glasses on, I might just be able to read a bit without them.

I have a Google Nexus 6P which is the same size as the Iphone 6+. I noticed the newer Levis have a deeper pocket. Levis seemed to change to the shallower pocket and now they are back to deep. So I just stick the phone with the screen towards the inside. The Gorilla Glass is pretty tough stuff, no scratches yet.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

I currently have a Moto G Play 4th version from Amazon ($99) on H2O Wireless (Unlimited/Unlimited/3GB 4G LTE for $27/month). I like the phone. The plan is great.

I would like a Galaxy S7 Edge (used) but the prices just don't come down. Still ~$320 for a used one.

Doing nothing is by far the easiest upgrade.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:14 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

The last "expensive" phone I had was a Samsung S3. It worked great for about 2 years and then started having issues with obsolesce. I have since moved to Republic Wireless (under an older "refund" plan) and purchased a Motorola G (3rd generation) for less than $200 bucks new. I have had very few problems with the phone and I loved the fact that it was a basic Android phone that had very little bloatware installed. Now going on 2 years w/ Republic Wireless, I have yet to have a monthly bill go over $20.

My DW has a Samsung S5 that she uses with Ting. She would like to come over to Republic but even though the S5 was released about 2 years ago, it is "too old" to use with Republic.

Her quagmire is a perfect illustration to me that the smart phones are the "new" laptops in that they can be obsolete quite quickly (I know, I know...some of you still use a 286 with Windows 3.1 that works "just fine!"; I am not talking to you). So going forward, I will limit the purchase price to around $200...just like my last laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
My DW and I alternate years getting new iPhones. She has an iPhone 7 and I have a 6S+.

I'm very much looking forward to a new iPhone 8 this fall. The feature I'm hoping for the most is wireless charging. We'll see.
I don't really think this is very new. "Back in the day" I had a charging pad of sorts (it was "wireless") that worked, but it made the battery very hot. I personally couldn't justify the cost of an Apple phone that would cost close to $1000 that could charge "wirelessly".
Old 05-10-2017, 02:43 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
The last "expensive" phone I had was a Samsung S3. It worked great for about 2 years and then started having issues with obsolesce. I have since moved to Republic Wireless (under an older "refund" plan) and purchased a Motorola G (3rd generation) for less than $200 bucks new. I have had very few problems with the phone and I loved the fact that it was a basic Android phone that had very little bloatware installed. Now going on 2 years w/ Republic Wireless, I have yet to have a monthly bill go over $20.
Republic looks like a good deal. The hitch I see is that international calling is weak (wifi only) or not available. Specifically, we use cellular international calling while moving around if we are in Europe (Google Maps, etc.). I guess Project Fi has Republic beat on this one.

FWIW, we're currently on Tmobil which has good international calling.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:59 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I just bought a Samsung 6 because my old phone just died. Took it to AT & T and no hope for it. My son has a few sellers he uses on ebay that sell used or new phones cheaper so bught a new one for 300. It arrives tomorrow. I got so I could not hear on my cell even very well with speaker on. I bought a bluetooth and now I can hear perfectly.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote