Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Investing on my own. I remember the first mutual fund I bought. I researched and analyzed and thought about it for months. Even after I "decided" to take the plunge I waited for more months before I wrote the check (yes in those days you had to mail a check). I was in my 20s and felt like I had to be an expert on the market to know what to do. Just did not feel competent. Research is a very important aspect of any investment decision, but at some point, you have to jump in.
Yea I remember that... Fidelity Magellan. I was sweating because it had a 3% load. I made a small fortune off that thanks to Peter Lynch ( some managers are worth it ).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Although I respect the people on Bogleheads and agree with many of the principles, I've learned to apply indexing vs active, buy-hold vs some timing, in a hybrid fashion. So I've found in recent years it doesn't pay to be too doctrinaire with investments.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #23

When we prepping our nj home for sale, we had the windows professionally cleaned - our immediate reactions was - why didn't we do this before? We normally did stuff as it was needed so we got to enjoy the upgrades/repairs, but this just didn't occur to us.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What was I waiting for. I should have .... sooner!
You guys see a straight line like that and immediately launch into discussions about Web browsers and personal finance?!?

My first three thoughts were:
Sex.
Drugs. Beer.
Rock & roll...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I looked recently to move my utility bills to the CC to gain additional cash back points, but they all want to slap service charges on the bill if I would do that. So I will just continue to help keep a company mail room employee employed by continuing to mail the bill in by check.
In general companies have outsourced this to banks who run what is called lockbox services, you will note most bills go to P.O.Box xyz which is likely connected to a bank which opens the bills deposits the checks and tells the company who and how much was paid.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
You guys see a straight line like that and immediately launch into discussions about Web browsers and personal finance?!?

Sex.
Drugs. Beer.
Rock & roll...
Didn't wait. Well, the sex part took a while but not for lack of effort.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

Sex.
Drugs. Beer.
Rock & roll...
Hehe, not bad. :-)

I would like to use this opportunity to mention Richard Branson's article on CNN.com. His related documentary is slated for release tomorrow.
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/06/op...ugs/index.html
Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Interesting thread - it's a subject that flickers through my brain from time to time.

Some of you have already mentioned auto-bill-pay, rewards CCs and such. Agreed, also chrome/chromium browser. I'll add switching to Linux/Ubuntu/Xubuntu to that (though I still have my DW's Mac in the house as a 'back up' for a few things that only rarely pop up that I can't handle).

Funny thing is, most of the non-internet kinds of things like this, that we really, really appreciated are pretty old now. Some are:

1) Electric Garage Opener - Going from no garage in a townhouse to a garage in a SFH was a step up, having to get out and open a door seemed like nothing. I think it was when DW was pregnant, that it seemed like a good idea. Man, not having to stop the car in a snowy driveway on a pretty steep slope, get out, open , get back in, back up the car to get a running start.... it was great! No going back.

2) A Humidifier attached to the furnace, with automatic humidistat. Dry air in winter can be real problem, but filling a stand-alone humidifier, having to clean it and worry about mold/slime, and then - they never really worked all that well. With the control so close to the source, it was hit-miss. The one on the furnace flows water through a drain, so it is always flushing out build-up when it is on. And the humidistat works near perfectly. Set it and forget it. Glorious! No going back.

3) Touch tone phones!

I guess a few more recent things would be GPS, and for us, VOIP phone. That really cut our bill, and no more worries about which area code we are dialing, etc.

I'm surprised no one mentioned ebook readers, seems like lots of fans here.

-ERD50
Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
I would like to use this opportunity to mention Richard Branson's article on CNN.com. His related documentary is slated for release tomorrow.
War on drugs a trillion-dollar failure - CNN.com
I used to work for him. It was especially fun when he came round for special events/parties etc.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
War on drugs a trillion-dollar failure - CNN.com
The movie is now out and can be viewed for free on YouTube:
Old 12-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #31

Quote:
The movie is now out and can be viewed for free on YouTube:
Thanks for this Tigger - will be watching it with my breakfast this morning.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Fill in the blank for whatever you wish.

For me, it's switching over from Internet Explorer to Google Chrome as my web browser. While surfing with IE, my computer was just limping along and hanging on pages. Now, I can actually surf the web in peace again.

ditto
Old 12-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #33

Getting away from Ameriprise and self investing. Been away from them from almost two and a half years and the vanguard accts are growing like weeds!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #34

I should have bought an iPad sooner. I just love it. This is why I plan to get a Surface tablet as soon as it comes out, to try new apps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Fill in the blank for whatever you wish.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #35
Administrator

I should have arranged a way to awaken to something less raucous than the ~~BLATTT!!!!~~ of a cheap conventional alarm clock, sooner. Being a light sleeper, I pretty much had to peel myself off the ceiling every weekday morning when the alarm rang, all my life.

Now, in retirement, I have an alarm clock that will play soft, gentle birdsongs each morning. It is so nice to start the day peacefully like this. I think I am a nicer person because of it. I always awaken, but had I been worried about that I could have set a conventional alarm clock to ring ten minutes later.

I was given my first alarm clock at age 6, and awakened to a scary alarm each weekday for 58 years, from 1954-2012. At some point I could have at least found one with adjustable volume, if nothing more.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:47 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post

I would like to ask you auto-payment fans, if you have a bill that's on a cycle other than monthly, how do you handle that? Do you have one account for ongoing bills and one for other expenses, and transfer a monthly budget amount from "other" to "ongoing"? Or do you put amounts for the non-monthly bills in savings until the bill comes? (It hardly seems worth the bother at today's interest rates.) I think either of these methods could be automated if both accounts were at the same bank. Or do you just leave money in a single checking account for months until the semi-annual or annual bill comes due?
I use YNAB (You Need A Budget) to plan my spending. So once something is budgeted in YNAB it is basically no longer available to be spent in YNAB. So if I know that I am going to being paying a particular bill and I budget for it in YNAB it is "spent" even though it still resides in my bank account until it actually gets paid.

As a practical matter I leave enough to cover a couple of month's bills in my checking account. If the interest from savings was of any significance I might not do that but as it is I don't really stress about it.