Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
A stick and a rock.......we were poor.
Sticks, rocks, mud, matches and an old chemistry set(mainly making roman candles). Our favorite in the neighborhood, Road Apple Fights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #42
Confused about dryer sheets

Lego and Barbie dolls. I'd even combine them and build things with Lego for the dolls. I like to think I was raised perfectly gender balanced It shows in me as an adult too, I like to do girly things like putting on makeup and dresses but I also enjoy gaming and programming and I know my way around basic DIY.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Matches and black cats were pretty exciting.
Lest anyone should think I was suggesting animal cruelty, black cats were the common firecracker in my part of the country.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #44

Growing up - building toys: Legos, lincoln logs, erector set. Plus the usual games: monopoly, tiddly winks, etc. We also had a very old fisher price circus set. It was amazing how much that got played with. I still have it and my kids pull it out and play with it a lot. It's missing a lot of the animals, unfortunately.

My kids favorites: Legos... Seriously - between the standard bricks and the technics stuff. I don't like that they don't sell just legos - they sell kits... but ebay and craigslist are great places to buy bulk legos. We have giant totes full of them. If we have a social event with a lot of kids - we'll pull out a bin and kids of all ages will start playing with them (leaving the parensts in peace). Even teenagers end up getting involved in legos.

My older son loves his rubik cubes. He's got a speed cube that he's greased up to improve his time. He's got various specialty cubes (gears, pyramids, 4x4 and 5x5). My younger son LOVES chess... He will spend significant time trying to work through problems. Their other favorite toys are their bikes and their basketballs.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At night lots of board games like monopoly, sorry, risk, mousetrap, wheel and deal, chess, checkers. Also liked tinker toys, we had both regular and giant (some pieces were probably 3 feet long).

During daylight built forts, played pig and around the world (basketball) and rode bicycles.

Then came Atari..

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

For sheer hours spent, bicycle, BB gun, fiberglass bow, sports equipment (mostly baseball).

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #47

Gluing and painting models of all sorts: Aurora monsters (1963...I had almost all of them!), cars, planes, boats, super heroes, Rat Fink, you name it. Hours of hours in my corner of the world, with the radio playing the hits of the day in the background. Sometimes I might hear a song today and it brings me back: like Tom Jones's "It's Not Unusual" in the spring of 1965 and some Ford car of the future that had its two front wheels tight together, or that sweet Cadillac ambulance I put together around the same time.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #48

Lionel trains, erector set, lincoln logs, girder and panel building set, table top hockey, chemistry set, Monopoly, Candy Land, pinball machine, bb gun, bow & arrow, Dinky and Matchbox toys
Old 09-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #49

I loved to build things, so definitely Erector sets. Also, a really cool toy that let you build buildings out of plastic girders and windows called Girder and Panel. Was surprised to see they still make it (Girder and Panel Building Toy)

Another building toy I really liked was Rivetron, which had plastic panels with holes in them, and you secured them together using a plastic rivet gun and rubber rivets. But I think it got recalled because kids were swallowing the rivets or something like that.

I also loved electronic toys, and each Christmas my parents would buy me one of the 100-in-1 type electronic kits from Radio Shack. They had all kinds of components (resistors, relays, etc) on a board with springs, and you connected the components to each other using wires run between springs. I loved those.

Then Atari came out, and I started getting consumed with video games as a teenager.

I LOL'd at people mentioning matches The house I grew up in had a shed attached to the back of it that I used to play in, and one day I found a plastic box full of blue tip camping matches left over from when my Dad used to go camping. To a kid, it looked like there were hundreds of matches in there. Boy, did I have fun with those!

One day I saw an older kid walking by our house and I asked him if he wanted to come and play with matches with me. He ran and told my Mom ("Lady, did you know your little boy is playing with matches?") and she came out to the shed and saw probably dozens of struck matches lying around on the floor. That ended my early experiments with pyrotechnics
Old 09-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #50

Lincoln Logs. Simple stuff until you got old enough for girder and panel, or erector set.

Invented by John Lloyd Wright. Just found that out.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
.................I LOL'd at people mentioning matches The house I grew up in had a shed attached to the back of it that I used to play in, and one day I found a plastic box full of blue tip camping matches left over from when my Dad used to go camping. To a kid, it looked like there were hundreds of matches in there. Boy, did I have fun with those!.............
I discovered as a kid that my BB gun would shoot kitchen matches and if I aimed right, they would strike and ignite. Later, I learned that if I packed the match heads into the hollow lead pellets that my Crosman pellet gun shot, the pellets would explode on impact.

Lucky to have 10 fingers and two good eyes.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Hot Wheels
Tonka Trucks
SST cars
Slot car race track
Bag of green army men
GI Joe
BB Gun
100-in-1 electronic kit from radio shack
Commodore computer
Old 09-23-2014, 04:23 PM   #53

The 101 piece chemistry set, mostly we only made rubber eggs. Heathkit shortwave radio.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #54

Pre Teeenage years
Styrofoam building block thingies - they worked like Lego's
My dolls - Barbie and Baby
Street chalk
Jump rope

Teenage years
Monopoly - my cousin and I had marathon games that would last HOURS
Bicycle - but I was never allowed to travel very far
Stickball bat, softball bat, softball mitt, paddleball racket
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #55

Did anyone else have a Spirograph? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirograph What a great math toy. That was another one of my favorites.

One of my favorite board games was Pay Day.
Pay Day (board game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was all about income and expenses and you could only win if you LBYM. Hmmmm what an interesting concept for a childs board game.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #56

Rollfast bike. It opened up new areas of adventure within a 20 mile radius of my home. Nothing like 5 or 6 boys taking off for a day of exploring, swimming and building dams in the creek, far away pizza parlors and pool halls.
Of course our DM's assumed we never left the neighborhood. Just so we were home by dinner.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #57

Oh, yes, building dams in the creek. We did that a lot. A my flexible flyer sled in the winter. I seem to recall that we got a lot more snow then than now. The street we lived on was steep enough to get going pretty good and often we'd station someone to watch for cars at the cross street and if it was clear they'd wave us through to continue on to the creek.

If you were really brave you'd try to make to across the creek on the footbridge. The bridge was made of two very long metal pipes and the wooden planks were under the pipes so the pipes would keep your sled on the bridge. Trouble was, the opening was only a few inches wider than the runners of the sled. If you misjudged, off into the creek you went. Great fun!
Old 09-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #58

Walt, You just reminded me of skating on our pond in the Winter. I can still hear the old records my grandfather and great grandfather use to play from the milk shed. I think they were all waltzes. Picking Golden Delicious apples in late Summer/early Fall. Playing tennis on our clay court. Still can't think of any special toy though.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Bike, model cars, sleds, erector set, chemistry set, table top hockey, table top football (table that would vibrate - remember those?), slot cars.

I had a train set but hardly ever used it. I remember we had a slot car track down at the shopping center and I got to do that a few times.

We had BB guns. Someone mentioned putting an eye out. I'm surprised we didn't as we foolishly has wars and would shoot at each other. Yes, we were stoopid.

I had a pony (for passing second grade). His name was Smoky. I was scared of him. I remember him dragging me through the field as I hung on to a rope attached to him. I have hated horses ever since.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

We played outside, 3rd grade I got a full size bike, added a stingray seat years later, Pop sold it while I was in the military.

When we lived in Chula Vista I nagged Mom until she bought me a pair of clip on skates we couldn't afford, a depression era farm girl, she never did understand when she saw that I had torn them apart and nailed the brand new skate to a 2 by 4, 1960 skateboard.

Mom would ring the bell in the evenings to call us home.
Balsa wood gliders were fun, Wham-O sling shot, handed down single shot Daisy 100 model 38 break barrel BB gun