Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
This reminds me that my 39 year old son wants us to get him the white Mattel Classic Football game (handheld) that he used to play all the time. The players were just dots of lights. I found some on Ebay for not too much.
My brother and I played that game all the time! It was a hoot LOL!

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Ah all the above sounds quite familiar pb4uski. A friend had the vibrating football game. We sure must have had great imaginations.

...snip lots of good stuff deleted to make this point.......
Years ago I was at a buddy's house, his 12-15 y.o. boys were playing video football (Maddon or something). They asked what we had, was it like an Atari or something? My buddy deferred to me as he knew his kids would dought him.

I explained the vibrating table, well they wouldn't believe me either. Finally we found something on a dialup connection to show them. Their comments were something like it must have been boring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Old 09-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #83
Administrator

What was your favorite toy as a kid?

I guess that I am still a kid, at age 65. My favorite toy is my 3DS XL portable video game console.

But really, you had toys when you were a kid? I would have loved playing with a box, if it had not been taken away from me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

Drawing pad and my first set of charcoal pencils - for Christmas when I was 12.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Leggos! Followed up by the box of 64 Crayola crayons.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
I had a 4x8 Tyco HO train layout but I think it was more a toy for my dad.
I was going to say Lionel train (and the competing Marx brand), but as a kid I didn't have much room, nor money, so I had to stick mostly with Tyco trains. I still have them all and show some in display cabinets.
Others would be Hot wheels and sports cards (yeah cards are not "toys" really, but reading the statistics on the backs of the cards taught me lots about math). And I have displays with these in as well. Why yes, I am a kid at heart .
Old 09-24-2014, 08:46 PM   #87

My dad and I 'sold' my HO set to a family friend for his son once we had outgrown it. Many years later, when I had two young sons of my own, my dad 'bought' it back, cleaned it all up, wrapped it and gave it to me for Christmas. A most wonderful gift!
Old 09-24-2014, 10:38 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
Lucantes, I still have my TI-99/4A and it still works. Did a little programming with the Basic and Extended Basic. I also had the Speech option which was fun training it to talk. IIRC it came with 1 or 2k memory. Cassette tape for storage and TV for monitor. I think I paid $200 for the base unit in 1982.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Lucantes, I still have a Sharp Scientific Calculator, model EL-506S, I received for my 18th birthday back in 1981. I used it a lot in college for my statistics course. The digital readout is a little tough on my eyes, especially since my eyesight has faded a little over the recent years. I have bought those $5 calculators which do far less but have much larger digital readouts. Once I bought my my first PC which had spreadsheet capabilities, all of those fancy functions on the calculator were less crucial.
I think my TI is still in my parent's attic, I don't know if it works but I think it would be highly probable as it worked when it went up there and it is fairly dry etc. Indar7 I think we had the same configuration! I used to do loads of BASIC/ExBASIC writing and modifying (remember getting the magazines with pages upon pages of BASIC code to be typed into the computer over many hours/days to get a simple lil' game to work?). I remember going to a party with my parents, and we had stopped on the way where I bought the extended BASIC (with my own money!), and all I did the entire day/night was sit in a corner with a soda and read the book back to front...over and over just waiting for us to get home so I could start using it! Last time I ever did any real programming was at college, when I realized that there were many more people much more talented than me that would make all the games I could ever want to play so i didn't need to try!
Old 09-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
I am not sure this qualifies as a toy.

Really nerdy confession, this was by far the most impressive thing for me in Amsterdam: Openbare Bibliotheek Amsterdam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This fact makes me wonder if I should turn in my red blooded American male credentials.

I also have very fond memories of my small, hometown library. That was the closest thing to the Internet for a rural kid back then.
Yes---since toys inspire imagination, I found that Barbies, play houses, sporting goods, etc. could not compete with the infinite number of journeys my mind could take with every book checked out.

Solving mysteries with Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, learning about Confederate and Union spies (and how they were hanged), reading about the childhoods of presidents, joining the tiny world of the Borrowers........ Wow! A Tree Grows in Brooklyn took me to tenements of 19th c. poverty. Gone With the Wind painted the agony of families during the Civil War, way better than the movie did. (So I read it several times before 12th grade.)

2nd place toy: building tree houses.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
Yes---since toys inspire imagination, I found that Barbies, play houses, sporting goods, etc. could not compete with the infinite number of journeys my mind could take with every book checked out.

Solving mysteries with Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, learning about Confederate and Union spies (and how they were hanged), reading about the childhoods of presidents, joining the tiny world of the Borrowers........ Wow! A Tree Grows in Brooklyn took me to tenements of 19th c. poverty. Gone With the Wind painted the agony of families during the Civil War, way better than the movie did. (So I read it several times before 12th grade.)

2nd place toy: building tree houses.

One of my favorite pastimes was reading The Hardy Boys. I enjoyed them so much that a few years ago I started collecting them for about $3 each and reading them all over again instead of watching TV. I now have about 50. I bought the brown cloth cover with orange inside front and back cover. These were the ones that I read. Another series was the Landmark series of books about historical people. There must have been a few dozen of them.

I spent a lot of time outside riding a bicycle, making forts, hike in the woods, playing cowboys, Frisbee, etc. Inside we would play board games and make "things"

Cheers!
Old 09-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #91

Looking back on it...I would have to say Leggos and MatchBox Cars!
Old 09-27-2014, 05:10 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
One of my favorite pastimes was reading The Hardy Boys. I enjoyed them so much that a few years ago I started collecting them for about $3 each and reading them all over again instead of watching TV. I now have about 50. I bought the brown cloth cover with orange inside front and back cover. These were the ones that I read. Another series was the Landmark series of books about historical people. There must have been a few dozen of them.

I spent a lot of time outside riding a bicycle, making forts, hike in the woods, playing cowboys, Frisbee, etc. Inside we would play board games and make "things"

Cheers!
Your town must have been much like mine. Wasn't it fabulous?!

I mourn for young people who are so tied to electronics, in one way or another. Granted, so many cities and suburbs are unsafe today, and parents must monitor their kids constantly. But, when we lived in CA, a "safe option" was to keep the kids entertained--- always indoors, of course---- with video and computer games, etc. Of course, today, there are even more ways for young people to enjoy virtual reality.

I wish more of them could enjoy the beauty of freedom in the woods, in parks, playing pick-up games of soccer or football with neighbor kids in their front yards.

Oh, and Badger, I envy you your Hardy boys collection! Maybe I need to check those out again. It hadn't occurred to me to read them as an adult. It sounds like they are still a lot of fun.

Enjoy!

Old 09-28-2014, 06:45 AM   #93

And actually being retired makes me feel like a kid again. I have different toys now. Sorry for getting off topic...
Old 09-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the Library first and always. My best friends Betsy and Tacy lived in the bookmobile that visited our apartments when I was five.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

I keep telling my grandkids that all I had for toys as a kid was a brick and piece of chalk. They seem skeptical
Old 09-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

My bike and plastic army man set.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA View Post
My bike and plastic army man set.
I forgot about those toy army soldiers; I had many hours of fun with them. Also had a miniature Fort Apache and cavalry set (who remembers Rin Tin Tin).
Old 09-28-2014, 06:12 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Transformers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Transformers.
When I was in high school, we used to take apart television sets to get the copper wire that could be wound into electric motors and electro magnets. Of course, the audio transformers were always kept for the use of making shock coils. Simply touching and opening a 9V battery across the primary would induce an output spike of thousands of volts, which would be quite startling to the un expecting victim.

A book with aluminum foil covers, enclosing a buzzer and transformer was a joy to hand to somebody. Or a group of five guys would join hands, come up from behind one of the gals, and hold her hands from each side. A couple quick blips of the switch would create a group shocking experience!

Or the time we laminated a couple pieces of wire to the door knob with nail polish, then sand papered the varnish so we had one conductor on top and one on the bottom of the knob. When somebody opened the door, they had a firm grasp on the door knob, and a switch turned on the buzzer and shock coil.

Yup, transformers were good toys! I heard they made a movie about them.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #99

Although the book was written in 1913, it was around 1944 when Grandma Miller gave it to me. I was an addicted reader beginning in the third grade, and this was a magnificent bible of things that young men could do, build, or dream about. About 90% of the project were just "dreams", but I read the book... cover to cover many times. Take a peek at some of the pages to see how a young man could explore the world of imagination and curiosity.
A few years later, after the war, my dad dug up Volume 2 and 3... and this carried me through Junior High School.

I'd say I was a dreamer...
The Boy Mechanic - Volume 1 --- 700 Things for a Boy to Do.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/12655/12655-pdf.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boy Mechanic Project.jpg (159.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Home made phonograph.jpg (144.4 KB, 7 views)