Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-04-2015, 05:29 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

The success of my students, my reputation as a college professor, the pride and joy it gave my parents.

Cheers!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most of my career as a female techie was an upstream swim. I always felt like I was w*rking twice as hard for half the credit. There were a few guys went out of their way to try to help me out, and some good came out of that. A drop or two of good water into a much larger bucket of BS.

I took my position as a laboratory manager and contracts manager very seriously. Nobody every got hurt by lasers or signal generation equipment. I ran the contracts straight and true.

I got to mentor a few summer interns. They left with practical techie skills and knowledge of how to plan and execute experiments.

Last but not least, I was awarded 2 US patents. Nothing ever came out of them, but no amount of professional jealousy and cut throat internal politics kept that from happening.
I FIREd within 6 months of the 2nd patent issue.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:34 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I achieved my career goal of always maintaining my position on the bottom rung of the corporate ladder. That said, I was fully involved with my children's lives growing up and have been married for 29 years (almost all of them happy). That and we saved enough along the way to retire next year at 54/53 (DW).
Old 05-04-2015, 09:12 PM   #44
Administrator

I don't know about proud, but I'm happiest that I never actually had to do what the Navy trained me to do. If I had, none of us would be having this conversation today.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:34 PM   #45

Being the only female engineer at my first two employers. Encouraging other women to go into the field.

That and writing embedded software that is in a huge number of cable/fios boxes in homes... It's kind of cool to go to someone's house, see their cable box and know I worked on it.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:02 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
That's a nice article you linked, tucker. Thanks for sharing it.
Agree. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:08 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I am proud to have served in the military. I had the proud honor of being selected to crew on the flight bringing home POW's from Vietnam. I will never forget these men were amazed that we now had an all volunteer military.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:39 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Saved an innocent kid from spending his life in prison. Still working... but I won't top that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-04-2015, 10:41 PM   #49

I worked for 23 years in the actuarial field, specializing in personal auto insurance. Having the combination of actuarial knowledge and mainframe computer programming skills made me very valuable in an actuarial division ("big fish, small pond") in the late 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s. This gave me the leverage to ask for and get things others were not able to get, mainly the ability to request working LESS (this happened twice in my 7 part-time years) and easy my way into semi-retirement and lessen the awful, sickening commute.

This combination of skills made me the division's "Answer Man" to all kinds of questions and data requests from both inside my division and outside my division. And once I got promoted to supervisor in 1993, I gained the power (not a lot of power, just enough) to take control over more of my projects. This "Answer Man" status led to finding some important answers to data mysteries on one large project back in 2000 when, in the span of just a few weeks I solved two mysteries and immediately won a special award. Then again, I was becoming so depressed at the same time because of my company's relocation (making the commute even worse) I barely smiled when I got the award. However, the award added to my growing leverage to demand a switch to part-time work.

I recall hearing a story when my first supervisor got promoted to a VP of another department years later and asked her new staff, "Do we have a <my name> person here?" referring to someone experienced who had my combination of actuarial and computer programming skills. I thought that was a nice recognition of my value to the company.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:52 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

(This) Boy from a very poor family gets himself through college and does well in industry. Now looking back on all the different jobs and companies, I'm glad it's over. At the end, I ran my own S Corp for 12 years and did all the CPA work as well.

For an engineer, somehow managed to be a good writer, even though English was not my first language. My golf game has gone to hell though.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:10 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
(This) Boy from a very poor family gets himself through college and does well in industry. Now looking back on all the different jobs and companies, I'm glad it's over. At the end, I ran my own S Corp for 12 years and did all the CPA work as well.

For an engineer, somehow managed to be a good writer, even though English was not my first language. My golf game has gone to hell though.

My golf game is coming back. I took some 1 on 1 lessons for the first time. It worked. Give it a try if GolfTec is near you. There are things you can't do it alone.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:18 PM   #52

What were/are you most proud of in your career?

Giving people who worked hard and had talent opportunities to advance and even go to college with scholarships I found. I think that gave me the most satisfaction, seeing people succeed.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-04-2015, 11:22 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
My golf game is coming back. I took some 1 on 1 lessons for the first time. It worked. Give it a try if GolfTec is near you. There are things you can't do it alone.
There is one 5 miles away. I'll have a look!
Old 05-05-2015, 03:16 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
For an engineer, somehow managed to be a good writer, even though English was not my first language.
Eh, when one speaks with a heavy accent, he tries harder in written communication.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Mentoring new hires. During my last ten years as proj lead for a small development group I was able to have a summer intern each year. If they did well, I could offer them a job once they graduated. My group got the reputation as a "good landing spot" for new hires. They would come in all wide-eyed and nervous and after a year working were moved to another dept. I helped them to adapt to the corporate culture, develop good work habits, develop teamwork, be ethical, and have fun. Of the 10 interns I had, 7 were hired, and all 7 are still contributing with MegaCorp.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:53 AM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Twenty five years in sales and I always treated my customers fairly. Many of my competitors were highly unethical.

Also, became reacquainted with an old buddy from school who turned out to be a serious alcoholic. Everyone had written him off but I took the time to have several heart to heart talks with him and convinced him to try AA. He's three years sober now and thriving.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:02 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Agree. Thanks.
Thanks. If you watch the video, you'll notice that he uses a cane and speaks a bit slowly or struggles for words occasionally. That's because a few years ago he had a stroke, and had to teach himself to talk again. In addition, he's had a "widowmaker" heart attack, and cancer. He has bounced back from all these. I wish I could claim his list of things to be proud of, and I've had none of these.

Forbes, who calls him "one of the most influential business theorists of the last 50 years", has an interesting writeup about him here.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:43 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I'm very impressed with all the answers here. This is a very diverse group.

I made many transitions over the course of a mostly R&D tech career. Started out in bipolar circuit design for components, then did some component production (didn't like that), then semiconductor process design. Switched to integrated cirucit design, did some software design, then moved out of Silicon Valley and did FPGA design. So I managed to survive for 30+ years doing some interesting work in tech. But it always was just the means to have a decent life while solving interesting problems.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:13 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I worked for 23 years in the actuarial field, specializing in personal auto insurance.
FCAS?
Old 05-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
FCAS?
No, I was never a Fellow, not even close. I gave up on the exams about 2 years after I began working. I passed Parts 1 and 2 in the mid-1980s but I knew I would never be able to pass anything more and lost all interest and desire in trying.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote