Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I'm sorry there is just no logic to charging me more in property tax because someone is willing to pay more for the house nextdoor to me...period.
Let me guess... you're not one of those people getting a State pension are you? If so, you probably consider that to be 'untouchable', regardless of the States ability to pay? And don't think your taxes should be raised?

I might be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised that I wasn't. Seems to all fit, IMO ...

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #122
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was born and raised here in Northern California. What will happen? Well, our home is paid for (new construction); because of the real estate drop, our new property taxes are around $1900.00 per year. We purchased the land in the 1970's, before the building boom, and have always lived below our means. It took us 5 years to build a very modest energy efficient home.

People have always complained about the politicians around here. But, I refuse to let it ruin my day, especially when I can walk outside today and it will be 65 and sunny. And, I can just pick up the phone and call a friend.

It is surprising to me how much people talk about California - how ruined it is, how overpopulated it is, how liberal it is, how conservative Orange County is, how smoggy it is, how bankrupt it is. I wonder how those who speak negatively about our state are getting along in their own lives?

You know, I don't trash other states. I believe that every region has its beauty and worth. When someone is raised in a particular environment, it is "in their blood," so to speak. I feel like I am part of the land, and I am, literally. I eat food from local sources and am closely inter-woven with our community. And right now I can walk over to the Miner's Lettuce (a wild edible around here) and pick our salad for dinner.

I truly envision happiness and wellness for all you out there, even those who are having a difficult time of it accepting California just the way it is, and the way that it is not.

Me thinks it is time to cheer up and mellow out.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
It is surprising to me how much people talk about California - how ruined it is, how overpopulated it is, how liberal it is, how conservative Orange County is, how smoggy it is, how bankrupt it is. I wonder how those who speak negatively about our state are getting along in their own lives?
My greatest hope is that all those folks get so revved up that they decide to kick California out of the Union. Innumerate ideologues...
Old 02-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
You know, I don't trash other states. ...

I truly envision happiness and wellness for all you out there, even those who are having a difficult time of it accepting California just the way it is, and the way that it is not.

Me thinks it is time to cheer up and mellow out.

I don't understand where you are coming from on this. Who is 'trashing' your State?

I thought the crux of the discussion was about if it is fair for one homeowner to get a break on his property tax compared to his neighbor in a similar home. I'd make the argument that it isn't fair, regardless of the location.

-ERD50
Old 02-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #125
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

I thought the crux of the discussion was about if it is fair for one homeowner to get a break on his property tax compared to his neighbor in a similar home. I'd make the argument that it isn't fair, regardless of the location.

-ERD50
But everyone gets the same tax break. You buy in and are guaranteed no more than 2% increase in your assessed value based on the value YOU set. How is that not fair?
Old 02-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Do the people with caps on their taxes still get to vote for state ballot initiatives that will increase spending (paid for someone else)? I think I see a problem here.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #127
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Do the people with caps on their taxes still get to vote for state ballot initiatives that will increase spending (paid for someone else)? I think I see a problem here.

Since EVERY property owner has caps on their taxes then the answer would be yes.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #128
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote: "I don't understand where you are coming from on this. Who is 'trashing' your State?

I thought the crux of the discussion was about if it is fair for one homeowner to get a break on his property tax compared to his neighbor in a similar home. I'd make the argument that it isn't fair, regardless of the location."

I was speaking to the general theme of the discussion: "What Will Become of California?" Prop. 13 is one issue of many. During the real estate bubble, there were people who paid higher property taxes. However, they purchased at the top. I am too fiscally conservative to buy a home I can't afford. It would be very scary to pay the prices that real estate was commanding pre-2007. Now, people are able to buy at lower prices - thus, lower property taxes. Many others have had their property taxes re-assessed to reflect the lower prices.

Regarding "trashing my state," I did not say anyone is trashing my state. I said that I don't trash other states. Only you know whether you hold negative thoughts toward California or any other state. I can, however, say that I don't trash other states, because I am not there and I would not know what I am talking about.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #129
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Prop 13, Fair? Unfair? I could argue either side, but if I remember, it was put in by referendum of the voters. It is what the majority of the people of CA wanted. As someone else said it was partly to try and control the amount of money the government gets. Seems like that portion worked. People do not have to fear of being taxed out of their homes. That part worked. Politicians continued to buy votes and spend money they did not have. That part did not work and not the bill is due. So the obvious solution is to cut the services most people are willing to pay for, i.e. Fire and Police while they hide the things a majority of the folks paying the bill would cut. Have you ever looked at the chairs politicians sit in? Watch next time you see a city counsel meeting.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote