Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What will happen if Social Security benefits are cut in 2034
Old 11-13-2017, 04:21 PM   #1
gone traveling

What will happen if Social Security benefits are cut in 2034

In replying to a question in a recently closed thread, I stated that I believed that benefits would be cut across the board in 2034 if Congress didn't act (rather than something more complicated, like aged-based cuts, or cuts based on income or wealth). Someone asked for a source for that belief. I'm pretty sure I heard it on a podcast at some point, but I wasn't sure. I hate to make claims without facts behind them.

So I asked Philip Moeller, co-author of Get What's Yours: The Secrets to Maxing Out Your Social Security what would happen if 2034 arrives and benefits must be cut.

He responded as follows:
"Should Congress fail to deal with Social Security's projected shortfall, benefits would be cut across the board. If the cut was 25 percent, for example, someone due $1,000 a month would get only $750."
Now I happen to think that Congress will indeed act before then, but probably at the last minute. I think Social Security will be funded at least for then-current recipients (like me) and their benefits won't be cut.

I'd be curious to hear if others think that benefits will indeed be cut for current recipients and if so, in what manner.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We don't really know if there will even be a shortfall. What caused the exhaustion date to move up was the near depression we went through in 2009. People who aren't working don't pay SS/Medicare taxes! If the next decade's economy works out well, you'll see the SS projections change. In any event, IMHO a solution will be worked out and implemented before benefits are cut. That's what happened in the early 1980's and things were far more dire then. The baby boomer problem is not permanent and has been known and taken into account for decades. The wealthiest country in the world can certainly afford to take care of its elderly.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have been listening to scare stories like this since the 1970's. Actually they were far worse in 1973 than what I am hearing now, IMO.

In 2034, I'll be 86 years old. An (unlikely) 25% cut in SS wouldn't even be a blip on my radar. We have been experiencing a huge stock market boom for almost an entire decade, and I will be in a far, far better financial situation than I ever expected.

If you are worried about it, design your retirement in such a way that SS is entirely used on discretionary spending and not needed for your bare bones survival expenses. But I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
In replying to a question in a recently closed thread, I stated that I believed that benefits would be cut across the board in 2034 if Congress didn't act (rather than something more complicated, like aged-based cuts, or cuts based on income or wealth). Someone asked for a source for that belief. I'm pretty sure I heard it on a podcast at some point, but I wasn't sure. I hate to make claims without facts behind them.

So I asked Philip Moeller, co-author of Get What's Yours: The Secrets to Maxing Out Your Social Security what would happen if 2034 arrives and benefits must be cut.

He responded as follows:
"Should Congress fail to deal with Social Security's projected shortfall, benefits would be cut across the board. If the cut was 25 percent, for example, someone due $1,000 a month would get only $750."
Now I happen to think that Congress will indeed act before then, but probably at the last minute. I think Social Security will be funded at least for then-current recipients (like me) and their benefits won't be cut.

I'd be curious to hear if others think that benefits will indeed be cut for current recipients and if so, in what manner.
That's still just hearsay information to me. Is there an existing law that would mandate that? If so, does it specify the percentage to be cut? I'm not doubting you, but I would like to see the documentation to back that up. Personally I have great faith that our elected officials won't do anything unless forced by law. Leaving it to their sense of responsibility or initiative will result in disappointment, at best.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:52 PM   #5

By 2034 I guess I will have collected somewhere around 1/2 a million dollars from SS. I hope they don't ask for it back...
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:20 AM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
That's still just hearsay information to me.
Sure. It's hearsay from one of the guys who "wrote the book" on Social Security.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:41 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I never expected SS to be around, or that it would be cut back before I became eligible to collect "my earned" benefits, so I had already written it off. OK, I was wrong, again. My financial planning never counted on SS (still doesn't) so it won't bother me other than to give me the satisfaction that I was right about SS.

However, my guess (note, I haven't be right yet about SS) would be some sort of means testing would be enacted and SS would evolve into more of a welfare program than an entitlement program.

But who knows.... At this point, if I'm around, I can only hope I "understand" what's happening in 2034.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:48 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Who knows. I expect Congress will make some sort of changes in the interim and I'm not loosing sleep about it. If they fail to act it may be impossible for SSA to cut in a sensible way (e.g. a 25% reduction across the board for the entire year). The obligation to pay might force them to do so until the crisis arrived (like the debt ceiling) and then cut off all payments at once when the money runs out in the third quarter. I would hate to be in Congress when that happens.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:51 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I would hate to be in Congress when that happens.
You wouldn't have to worry about being there for the next term.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:05 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

IMO...Since SS is the only source of income for so many Americans, a 25% haircut would have such a negative impact on so many citizens that I believe there is no way Congress would allow a haircut to happen to people currently receiving SS. If they did, there better be plenty of funds available for food stamps and other similar public services.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:06 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You wouldn't have to worry about being there for the next term.

Hopefully there would be enough of us left to vote them out.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:14 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Money flows to those without. I see a SS cut on a sliding scale of amount of assets. Those with no savings will not have a SS cut. Those who have saved and done the tough work will be cut.
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

The problem with that option is that it would undermine support for the program as a whole.... becoming just a different form of welfare.... so I doubt that it will happen.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:22 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
The problem with that option is that it would undermine support for the program as a whole.... becoming just a different form of welfare.... so I doubt that it will happen.

Well, I asked Bob Myers (an actuary who was one of the original architects of SS) about means-testing SS years ago and he said that it was a bad idea because it would discourage personal savings because too much income form other sources would reduce your SS). They did it anyway, of course, by taxing SS benefits if you have any substantial income from other sources.

My guess is that they'll continue in this vein- easier to base it on income rather than assets- and that the penalty applied to SS if you have other income will continue to increase, but those with no savings will be unaffected.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:23 AM   #15

I'm planning on the whole thing being there. Old folks vote.
Also, a 25% cut means over a full percent of GDP would either be pulled out of the economy or moved to a different pocket. A big portion of that is spent on consumables. Whoever is in Walmarts and Amazons shoes in 2034 isn't going to be happy to see their piece of the pie shrink. Even if the politicians stops caring about voters, they're not going to upset their donors.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:24 AM   #16

If you wonder "What if SS benefits are cut?", you also have to wonder "what if SS benefits are not cut?".

I do not worry about it. Not at all. Money can be printed.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:40 AM   #17

The Social Security Administration (SSA) announced that the maximum amount of wages in 2017 subject to the 6.2% Social Security tax (old age, survivor, and disability insurance) will rise from $118,500 to $127,200, an increase of more than 7%. By comparison, the 2016 wage base was unchanged from 2015.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:47 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius King View Post
Money flows to those without. I see a SS cut on a sliding scale of amount of assets. Those with no savings will not have a SS cut. Those who have saved and done the tough work will be cut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Medicare part B is already being means tested, so why not SS!
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:47 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Here is a link to a presentation made by the Chief Actuary of the Social Security Administration on October 17 of this year:

https://www.soa.org/pd/events/2017/a...ession-136.pdf
Exrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:55 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

After many years of owning rental property and not contributing to social security due to having mostly "unearned income" I was astounded to get my first SS check, based on military time and some other ill-spent employment time. If still alive seventeen years from now and SS is cut I guess the cat will have to do with dry food.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote