Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
I don't know what's wrong with me but I don't see any butts. Just nuts. No butts.
I actually saw both at once - nuts and butts.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
After reading the posts tonight a question hit me?
What will be the future of www.early-retirement.org?
I'm guessing the fortunes of early-retirement rose (and dipped in the past) with the fortunes of the stock market. It is becoming clear that this market downturn will be lasting for several years - although the recession may end by the end of this year - i.e. stock market Vs GDP
I'm guessing people found this site after wondering if they could or how to ER.
- Now and possibly for quite some time the idea might never enter their mind.
I have been a member of this forum longer than any other forum. The other forums I read are specialized to other interests. I like this one because ER is not an interest and it brings different personalities into the mix.
The excitement and questions of new members, some of the excitement of their transition and new experiences seem to be on the wane.
Will early-retirement be like Detroit, people keep leaving and no new inhabitants take their place? I can see that happening, we don't like to be reminded of what we have lost.
We have been talking a lot about the future of the stock market; what is the future of early-retirement.org
From 06-18-2008, 12:44 PM:
Quote:
Dex saying Thanks & Goodbye
It is time to say goodbye and thank you.
IMHO, something has changed on this board. The negative aspects are outweighing the positive ones. I believe it is imperative to maintain a positive attitude before and during your retirement.
If in any recent post of mine appeared negative; I apologize,
I greatly appreciate those who offered their considered advise when I was wrestling with my decision retire early. It was great to know that others have had the same questions and fears. And yes, it was even interesting to read what the legendary John Gault had to say.
To those of you that are in that pre early retirement mindset; find your motivation. Most of the clichés you have heard are true – “Life is too short.”, “No one regretted working more on their death bed.” When you turn the phrase “I will believe it when I see it” on its head to “I will see it when I believe it” you will be on your way to finding your path to early retirement. Once you have been retired for awhile the fears you have now will seem a distant memory.
Are you contemplating an encore?

I'm pretty confident that as long as there are sucky jobs and pointy-haired bosses, there will be those who strive for financial independence & ER. FIRE doesn't have to come from the stock market-- it can also come from frugal savings, entrepreneurs, real estate, company stock options, inheritances, trust funds... plenty of paths.

As for the future of E-R.org, I think it's much more likely to end through mismanagement (not mis-moderation) than through membership attrition. When ad revenue plummets, the seemingly appealing solution would be to pump up the eyeball volume. How ironic that a forum devoted to FIRE is not actually FI.

Greaney managed to let a troll zombify his forum, and the relentless pursuit of revenue killed TMF's REHP forum. ElSupremo... I'm not sure whether it was the troll that got to him or all the drama. Meanwhile Raddr accepts neither contributions nor advertising (he certainly doesn't tolerate trolls or spammers) and he seems to be chugging along just fine.

But despite its risk of implosion, E-R.org is even more likely to muddle through in some form in spite of the thundering herds of newbies and spammers...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
But despite its risk of implosion, E-R.org is even more likely to muddle through in some form in spite of the thundering herds of newbies and spammers...
And muddle through in grand, and yet sometimes even brilliant style, we shall!

As a group, we are the forum.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
What will the the future of www.early-retirement.org ?
Old 03-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #44
gone traveling

What will the the future of www.early-retirement.org ?

Quote:
Don't worry, old chap; with CFB out of the way your status as most prolific poster appears safe for quite some time!
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I would like to see a graph of daily posting rates.

Hard to be sure, but it seems much less active. I find it hard to use up much time on here anymore!

I am struck by how much we lose when even one careful and intelligent poster takes off.

Ha
Old 03-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Don't worry, old chap; with CFB out of the way your status as most prolific poster appears safe for quite some time!
I suspect that Nords S/N is better than most...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Are you contemplating an encore?
I was worrying that, eventually, everyone would leave and not tell me.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Dex, I'm not planning to leave anytime soon and hope you don't either
Old 03-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

The original and still the best. Thanks for posting.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

HFWR, the TZ was the coolest, but this was pretty good too. Plus, it features your avatar!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I still like the camaraderie and the "support network" even though early retirement seems far, far less likely than it did a year ago.
You are way too pessimistic Zig. It will probably be a slow recovery but there will be a recovery. And you may benefit from some sort of nationalized health care, etc.

Two years ago this board was overreacting to the good times. Endless discussions of how to "spend it all" since your portfolio surely would grow by leaps in bounds in retirement. Now the pendelum has swung the other way.

Remember, this recession is being caused by the way we used our economic/financial system. It's not being caused by a world wide drought that will cut food production by 50% or a plague that is sucking all our money and resources into health care or........ Well, you see what I mean.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After a little more than a year on this forum - this will be my last post. I'll probably be spending a little more time on Scubatoys forum, ScubaBoard, & the NTCoF forum.

Thanks for all the good info & laughs and hopefully I have contributed something as well that informed someone or made them smile.

Good luck to all with your FIRE. (I'm still on track for Dec this year. Two serious inquiries on the house already - yay!)

Take care,
Andy
Old 03-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

I've been active around here for almost 2 years and I still enjoy this forum very much. I sometimes get worked up when reading politically-sensitive threads and I have to take a break to cool off. But, so far, I have always come back because I think there is a very good, diverse group of people here and I enjoy the conversations, advices, knowledge and wisdom to be found on this forum.

But I have been worried by the disappearance of a few good people lately, including NW-bound, Notmuchlonger, LG4N and now Texarkandy... I hope they'll be back!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
But I have been worried by the disappearance of a few good people lately, including NW-bound, Notmuchlonger, LG4N and now Texarkandy... I hope they'll be back!
So what do you suggest, paying (under the table) those who contribute their brilliance? We can do that... its called the "Thanks" button. (Of course, a more public compliment is more desirable but... )
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I suspect that Nords S/N is better than most...
I'd quite happily give up my post count in exchange for the ER board that CFB and we other long-timers enjoyed "back in the day".

Been a busy coupla months this year around Hale Nords, and it's not slowing down yet.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Yes, a few notable ones have dropped off recently. Marquette? Mod one day, then ??

We need exit interviews to learn why people drop off. Nah, too much like w*rk.

Teaxarkandy - mind sharing the "why"?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:04 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'd quite happily give up my post count in exchange for the ER board that CFB and we other long-timers enjoyed "back in the day".
What is different now? What is missing? What changed? (Seriously)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:51 AM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

I plan on being around here for a long time....I love the mix of people we have.
I don't understand why people are leaving either.....
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
I plan on being around here for a long time....I love the mix of people we have.
I don't understand why people are leaving either.....
Most likely due to carpal tunnel syndrome. It got so bad that they couldn't even write a farewell last post. To those who wants to leave, please make sure that you at least have one finger that still works.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote