Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #141
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
First time I ever got in trouble in school was in second grade for spelling color with an ou. The teacher marked it wrong, and I argued so hard I got sent to the principal's office and they called my Mom. She pointed out it was a correct spelling in the dictionary, so why didn't they just mark it correct? Teacher - because I don't want him spelling in British. An early realization that authority figures can be wrong, and led me to a life of rebellion and bad attitude.
The exact same thing happened to me, because my family spent a good deal of time outside of the country when I was young. So, I first learned to spell the word "colour" though I never spell it that way now. My mother said that if my teacher wanted me to spell it "color", that is how I should spell it. I learned from it that teachers can be wrong, and to just shut up if they didn't want to hear that.
__________________

__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #142
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,137
I was born in England and brought to the US as a child. I often had the center/ centre, rumour/rumor etc. fights, although the biggest battle came in 3rd grade, over whether Antarctica had the first "c" in it. (I was right, the teacher was wrong; it was the beginning of my disillusionment).
__________________

__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
First time I ever got in trouble in school was in second grade for spelling color with an ou. The teacher marked it wrong, and I argued so hard I got sent to the principal's office and they called my Mom. She pointed out it was a correct spelling in the dictionary, so why didn't they just mark it correct? Teacher - because I don't want him spelling in British. An early realization that authority figures can be wrong, and led me to a life of rebellion and bad attitude.
You are quite the rebel, now aren't you? ....
__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:00 AM   #144
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I was born in England and brought to the US as a child. I often had the center/ centre, rumour/rumor etc. fights, although the biggest battle came in 3rd grade, over whether Antarctica had the first "c" in it. (I was right, the teacher was wrong; it was the beginning of my disillusionment).
I still have trouble with some of these spelling differences, such as "grey" which I seldom change to "gray" even though I know the latter is preferred here. Must be the rebel in me.

I had a sixth grade social studies teacher that pronounced Rio de Janeiro "Ree-oh day Juhn-eer-ee-oh" and I corrected her because I couldn't stand it after the four millionth time. She was very nice about it but I knew I was opening a can of worms.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:32 AM   #145
Moderator
bssc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I was born in England and brought to the US as a child. I often had the center/ centre, rumour/rumor etc. fights, although the biggest battle came in 3rd grade, over whether Antarctica had the first "c" in it. (I was right, the teacher was wrong; it was the beginning of my disillusionment).
I notice though that Centre is the new trendy word, especially Corporate Centre. I also had to correct a teacher who thought President Ford owned Ford Motors.
__________________
Angels danced on the day that you were born.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:45 AM   #146
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I still have trouble with some of these spelling differences, such as "grey" which I seldom change to "gray" even though I know the latter is preferred here. Must be the rebel in me.

I had a sixth grade social studies teacher that pronounced Rio de Janeiro "Ree-oh day Juhn-eer-ee-oh" and I corrected her because I couldn't stand it after the four millionth time. She was very nice about it but I knew I was opening a can of worms.
I have always refused to spell grey with an "a". It just looks too ugly.
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:37 AM   #147
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Texarkandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,281
What will the the future of www.early-retirement.org ?

The future of the ER forum lies with the moderators - not the owners or the content. And not even the ads, the trolls, the spammers, or rude/offensive people. (The latter are always in abundance on the internet & moderators will always be chasing them and members will always ignore them.)

However, when established members sense overmoderation - they move on.
__________________
Retired 2009!
Texarkandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #148
Moderator Emeritus
CuppaJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At The Cafe
Posts: 6,866
When I checked “American Theatre” magazine out of the library, the librarian scoffed at the title.
__________________
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #149
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,372
Nice to see you back, Tex.
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #150
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
What will the the future of www.early-retirement.org ?

The future of the ER forum lies with the moderators - not the owners or the content. And not even the ads, the trolls, the spammers, or rude/offensive people. (The latter are always in abundance on the internet & moderators will always be chasing them and members will always ignore them.)
Quote:
However, when established members sense overmoderation - they move on.
Agree, it has happened before and will happen again. There is a fine line between over and under moderation........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #151
Moderator
Sarah in SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 13,456
Good thing we mods don't get paid by the post--then you'd see overmoderation!
<grin>
__________________
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #152
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Good thing we mods don't get paid by the post--then you'd see overmoderation!
<grin>
Whatever! Id kill to have the awesome pension/paid health care you guys got. Its not fair.
__________________
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #153
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Whatever! Id kill to have the awesome pension/paid health care you guys got. Its not fair.
It was a sweet gig, but my talents were better spent in the private sector.........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #154
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Good thing we mods don't get paid by the post--then you'd see overmoderation!
<grin>
No, the moderators Union would slow you down.......
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #155
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Gracias.
Dios mio.
__________________
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Goonie's back!
Old 08-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #156
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,388
Goonie's back!

Hey everybody! Goonie's back!
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #157
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Goonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North-Central Illinois
Posts: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hey everybody! Goonie's back!
I am? Oh, yeah I guess I am....somebody musta forgot to lock the dang door again!
__________________
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #158
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I am? Oh, yeah I guess I am....somebody musta forgot to lock the dang door again!
Welcome back , You were missed !
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #159
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,554
It is nice to see some members coming back!
__________________

__________________
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Megacorp retirement plan changes - trends of the future? bssc FIRE and Money 13 05-20-2007 08:39 PM
The official Early-Retirement.org vehicle? Nords Other topics 0 08-19-2005 11:27 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:19 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.