Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #141
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
First time I ever got in trouble in school was in second grade for spelling color with an ou. The teacher marked it wrong, and I argued so hard I got sent to the principal's office and they called my Mom. She pointed out it was a correct spelling in the dictionary, so why didn't they just mark it correct? Teacher - because I don't want him spelling in British. An early realization that authority figures can be wrong, and led me to a life of rebellion and bad attitude.
The exact same thing happened to me, because my family spent a good deal of time outside of the country when I was young. So, I first learned to spell the word "colour" though I never spell it that way now. My mother said that if my teacher wanted me to spell it "color", that is how I should spell it. I learned from it that teachers can be wrong, and to just shut up if they didn't want to hear that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #142
Administrator

I was born in England and brought to the US as a child. I often had the center/ centre, rumour/rumor etc. fights, although the biggest battle came in 3rd grade, over whether Antarctica had the first "c" in it. (I was right, the teacher was wrong; it was the beginning of my disillusionment).

Old 03-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
First time I ever got in trouble in school was in second grade for spelling color with an ou. The teacher marked it wrong, and I argued so hard I got sent to the principal's office and they called my Mom. She pointed out it was a correct spelling in the dictionary, so why didn't they just mark it correct? Teacher - because I don't want him spelling in British. An early realization that authority figures can be wrong, and led me to a life of rebellion and bad attitude.
You are quite the rebel, now aren't you? ....
Old 03-27-2009, 12:00 AM   #144
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I was born in England and brought to the US as a child. I often had the center/ centre, rumour/rumor etc. fights, although the biggest battle came in 3rd grade, over whether Antarctica had the first "c" in it. (I was right, the teacher was wrong; it was the beginning of my disillusionment).
I still have trouble with some of these spelling differences, such as "grey" which I seldom change to "gray" even though I know the latter is preferred here. Must be the rebel in me.

I had a sixth grade social studies teacher that pronounced Rio de Janeiro "Ree-oh day Juhn-eer-ee-oh" and I corrected her because I couldn't stand it after the four millionth time. She was very nice about it but I knew I was opening a can of worms.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:32 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I notice though that Centre is the new trendy word, especially Corporate Centre. I also had to correct a teacher who thought President Ford owned Ford Motors.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:45 AM   #146
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I still have trouble with some of these spelling differences, such as "grey" which I seldom change to "gray" even though I know the latter is preferred here. Must be the rebel in me.

I had a sixth grade social studies teacher that pronounced Rio de Janeiro "Ree-oh day Juhn-eer-ee-oh" and I corrected her because I couldn't stand it after the four millionth time. She was very nice about it but I knew I was opening a can of worms.
I have always refused to spell grey with an "a". It just looks too ugly.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:37 AM   #147
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What will the the future of www.early-retirement.org ?

The future of the ER forum lies with the moderators - not the owners or the content. And not even the ads, the trolls, the spammers, or rude/offensive people. (The latter are always in abundance on the internet & moderators will always be chasing them and members will always ignore them.)

However, when established members sense overmoderation - they move on.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #148
Moderator Emeritus

When I checked “American Theatre” magazine out of the library, the librarian scoffed at the title.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #149
Moderator Emeritus

Nice to see you back, Tex.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
What will the the future of www.early-retirement.org ?

The future of the ER forum lies with the moderators - not the owners or the content. And not even the ads, the trolls, the spammers, or rude/offensive people. (The latter are always in abundance on the internet & moderators will always be chasing them and members will always ignore them.)
Quote:
However, when established members sense overmoderation - they move on.
Agree, it has happened before and will happen again. There is a fine line between over and under moderation........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #151

Good thing we mods don't get paid by the post--then you'd see overmoderation!
<grin>

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
<grin>
Whatever! Id kill to have the awesome pension/paid health care you guys got. Its not fair.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Whatever! Id kill to have the awesome pension/paid health care you guys got. Its not fair.
It was a sweet gig, but my talents were better spent in the private sector.........

Old 03-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
<grin>
No, the moderators Union would slow you down.......

Old 03-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Gracias.
Dios mio.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Goonie's back!

Hey everybody! Goonie's back!
Old 08-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hey everybody! Goonie's back!
I am? Oh, yeah I guess I am....somebody musta forgot to lock the dang door again!
Old 08-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I am? Oh, yeah I guess I am....somebody musta forgot to lock the dang door again!
Welcome back , You were missed !
Old 09-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #159

It is nice to see some members coming back!