Join Early Retirement Today

What will the the future of www.early-retirement.org ?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What will the the future of www.early-retirement.org ?

After reading the posts tonight a question hit me?
What will be the future of www.early-retirement.org?

I'm guessing the fortunes of early-retirement rose (and dipped in the past) with the fortunes of the stock market. It is becoming clear that this market downturn will be lasting for several years - although the recession may end by the end of this year - i.e. stock market Vs GDP

I'm guessing people found this site after wondering if they could or how to ER.
- Now and possibly for quite some time the idea might never enter their mind.

I have been a member of this forum longer than any other forum. The other forums I read are specialized to other interests. I like this one because ER is not an interest and it brings different personalities into the mix.

The excitement and questions of new members, some of the excitement of their transition and new experiences seem to be on the wane.

Will early-retirement be like Detroit, people keep leaving and no new inhabitants take their place? I can see that happening, we don't like to be reminded of what we have lost.

We have been talking a lot about the future of the stock market; what is the future of early-retirement.org
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
We have been talking a lot about the future of the stock market; what is the future of early-retirement.org
Old 03-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What ever the board's future, it probably won't contain enough links to Brazilian butts.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

What makes you think we have no future??
Old 03-02-2009, 09:51 PM   #5

The board will have a future. There will always be folks jumping off the treadmill. The complexion and youth may be different. Folks will retire from the military and govt jobs and dump big homes once the market recovers some. Some will recieve inheritances and some will sell successful small business. ER funded by the corporate defined benefit plans for the masses may indeed shift to an older age, but pulling the plug at 60 is better than the alternative of working at 70 because you can't get by as a renter on your SS. So, I believe this group will continue and welcome newbies for a long long time.

Also, think about those thrifty souls now 40'ish who are buying a ton of stock right now. Good companies and Indexes will survive and once true recovery comes to Mr Market they may well be golden.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I read this forum several months before I joined. The reason I decided to jump into the mix is because I felt as if there were times that I could help someone, and many times I had questions.

IMO, when times are good; everyone is a genius. When times are not so hot, people need to talk about their fears and understand they are not alone. There is not only a "wealth" of financial information here; there is sharing, understanding, hope and humor regarding many aspects of life.

I think this forum is needed now more than ever....
Old 03-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Misery loves company.
This is pretty good company.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:28 AM   #8

I got here late but since I had retired early I stayed. I learned a lot from everyone here, retired or not, and plan to stay because there is a lot yet to learn IMO. I think many will learn a lot more during this time than during "boom times". Although, like keeping your car longer, some will delay ER now but I do not think the dream of ER will go away - may even become more of a desire. Anyway I plan to hang around.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:30 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:37 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

There will always be those who want to retire early, and those who have retired early. My question is, when in life have you had a plan that you never had to revise for reasons beyond your control? Life is not so predictable (or at least, mine hasn't been).

For those who end up working longer than they had once planned, this group provides a lifeline to sanity and their ultimate, though now delayed, goals. Those who choose instead to retire despite the lousy market and live a simpler lifestyle than previously planned might learn a few LBYM tips from retired members here. Those who are already retired and worried about their shrinking nestegg can share fears, knowledge, and strategies with one another as well.

This economy is a grave concern to many on the board, and even terrifying to some. ER-Forum members can help other members to approach the economic downturn sensibly and realistically, and to make rational decisions. This is NOT the end of the world no matter what CNBC says. As BBamI said above,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:42 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I plan to be here for quite a while. <groan>
Life is an ongoing education, and I must say this is one of the best "courses" I've ever taken. I wish I could contribute more in the market and financial discussions. But I can't, so I try to make my contribution by getting some levity going when it is sorely needed, or finding a data source when a question is asked.
We all have had and continue to encounter our own personal "slings and arrows". This is a very good group to share with and possibly find some solutions. What really impresses me about this collective is the support shown to those who are having a bad day or just need to vent. Sometimes that has been me, and I thank you all.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:44 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I still like the camaraderie and the "support network" even though early retirement seems far, far less likely than it did a year ago.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:53 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

The concept of ER will continue in the future. This board - who knows? But people will always be driven to amass significant wealth or streams of income to support their efforts to not work.

Things may look different in the future. Think back (or look back) on posts from 2006-early 2007 at the peak of the housing bubble. Many many many posters from CA NY FL were making their ER plans based around selling their exorbitantly valued house and moving to a lower cost of living area. For the most part, those dreams do not exist today. Those who's financial strategy revolved around their house appreciating a lot and then selling and cashing out millions will have to rethink their strategy.

Similarly, if over the next 10 years or so the market stays flat or continues on a negative path, then looking back, we will probably see a lot of wannabe ER's who took the stock market path to wealth but failed to achieve significant wealth through investing. I'll be one of them. I plan to continue investing heavily in equities over the next 10 years or so, and hopefully that will allow me to meet my financial goals.

But as others have commented, the folks that start a career in the military or with the government at age 18-21 will be up for a full pension at age 38-51. Still early retirees by most measures.

All I know is that periods where no one wants to own equities and market returns lag are generally followed by periods that have proven to be very rewarding for equities investors.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:01 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
But as others have commented, the folks that start a career in the military or with the government at age 18-21 will be up for a full pension at age 38-51. Still early retirees by most measures.
Maybe, but with the possible exception of the military and emergency services workers (police, firefighters, et cetera), I think there will be a massive backlash to the retirement perks of government jobs if things don't turn around soon. There's clearly a growing resentment out there, especially when state and local governments are raising taxes and cutting other spending to the bone just to shore up their pension funds while people see their own 401K-based retirement disappear. Hopefully that can be averted, but I'm not sure if the current scenario continues for a while.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Maybe, but with the possible exception of the military and emergency services workers (police, firefighters, et cetera), I think there will be a massive backlash to the retirement perks of government jobs if things don't turn around soon. There's clearly a growing resentment out there, especially when state and local governments are raising taxes and cutting other spending to the bone just to shore up their pension funds while people see their own 401K-based retirement disappear. Hopefully that can be averted, but I'm not sure if the current scenario continues for a while.
Agreed.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I read this forum several months before I joined. The reason I decided to jump into the mix is because I felt as if there were times that I could help someone, and many times I had questions.

IMO, when times are good; everyone is a genius. When times are not so hot, people need to talk about their fears and understand they are not alone. There is not only a "wealth" of financial information here; there is sharing, understanding, hope and humor regarding many aspects of life.

What bbbamI said.

This forum is like a refuge in these times of shrinking nest eggs. Sure, there's some doom and gloom here too, but the overall perspective here is that we're all in this together and in a multitude of counsel there is wisdom. Humor comes into play as well to help one cope. Dawg's head banging investor and med-loving smilies always make me chuckle.

Some days, a heh heh heh from unclemick is all it takes to cheer me up.

This forum will never go out of style because FI is a prerequisite to RE and FI is a worthy goal for everyone, even if you're a weirdo like me who still enjoys his job If I could only choose one forum to read, I'd let all the others go and keep this one.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
This forum will never go out of style because...
...I need an audience for my stand-up routine and DW has apparently misplaced her sense of humor.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:43 AM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Soapbox?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
...I need an audience for my stand-up routine and DW has apparently misplaced her sense of humor.
Maybe she has seen your trading records.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Soapbox?
.........just call me "Bubbles"........