What will the the future of www.early-retirement.org ?

I still like the camaraderie and the "support network" even though early retirement seems far, far less likely than it did a year ago.

You are way too pessimistic Zig. It will probably be a slow recovery but there will be a recovery. And you may benefit from some sort of nationalized health care, etc.

Two years ago this board was overreacting to the good times. Endless discussions of how to "spend it all" since your portfolio surely would grow by leaps in bounds in retirement. Now the pendelum has swung the other way.

Remember, this recession is being caused by the way we used our economic/financial system. It's not being caused by a world wide drought that will cut food production by 50% or a plague that is sucking all our money and resources into health care or........ Well, you see what I mean.

After a little more than a year on this forum - this will be my last post. I'll probably be spending a little more time on Scubatoys forum, ScubaBoard, & the NTCoF forum.

Thanks for all the good info & laughs and hopefully I have contributed something as well that informed someone or made them smile.

Good luck to all with your FIRE. (I'm still on track for Dec this year. Two serious inquiries on the house already - yay!)

Take care,
Andy

I've been active around here for almost 2 years and I still enjoy this forum very much. I sometimes get worked up when reading politically-sensitive threads and I have to take a break to cool off. But, so far, I have always come back because I think there is a very good, diverse group of people here and I enjoy the conversations, advices, knowledge and wisdom to be found on this forum.

But I have been worried by the disappearance of a few good people lately, including NW-bound, Notmuchlonger, LG4N and now Texarkandy... I hope they'll be back!

But I have been worried by the disappearance of a few good people lately, including NW-bound, Notmuchlonger, LG4N and now Texarkandy... I hope they'll be back!

So what do you suggest, paying (under the table) those who contribute their brilliance? We can do that... its called the "Thanks" button. (Of course, a more public compliment is more desirable but... )

I suspect that Nords S/N is better than most...
I'd quite happily give up my post count in exchange for the ER board that CFB and we other long-timers enjoyed "back in the day".

Been a busy coupla months this year around Hale Nords, and it's not slowing down yet.

Yes, a few notable ones have dropped off recently. Marquette? Mod one day, then :confused:??

We need exit interviews to learn why people drop off. Nah, too much like w*rk.

Teaxarkandy - mind sharing the "why"?

-ERD50

I'd quite happily give up my post count in exchange for the ER board that CFB and we other long-timers enjoyed "back in the day".

What is different now? What is missing? What changed? (Seriously)

I plan on being around here for a long time....I love the mix of people we have.
I don't understand why people are leaving either.....

I plan on being around here for a long time....I love the mix of people we have.

Most likely due to carpal tunnel syndrome. It got so bad that they couldn't even write a farewell last post. To those who wants to leave, please make sure that you at least have one finger that still works.

I'm sure people are always entering and leaving active status on this and other forums.

I have no idea if the trend has increased lately. Possibly the admins have data, though they may not care to share (their right). And maybe it is partially driven by external conditions.

I miss the input of some who left. Others already said all they were going to say 20x over, and I don't miss the noise. But that list would probably be different for different people, and that's what makes it an active forum, not a stale old clique' of high school buddies.

JMO, worth no more than anyone else's.

-ERD50

What is different now? What is missing? What changed? (Seriously)
Well, you could read CFB's last post for starters:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/where-is-the-bunny-40096.html#post739254

The board's getting too big. I used to read every post and welcome every new poster, but now there are too many of both to keep track of.

The board is too slow. It used to run on an older version of discussion-board software that was fast and straightforward. It didn't have some of the bells & whistles that are available with vBulletin, but then with a smaller number of members most of those features weren't necessary. Now that vBulletin seems to be working better, the board is still too slow. Before the URL loads, the E-R.org server seems to waste a few seconds talking to Google Adsense's server to try to download ads that my browser is going to block anyway. The result is a lot of time wasted waiting for a page to start loading, and then waiting for it to finish loading. Repeat for every post.

E-R.org used to be harder to find, and that was a good thing. The people who found the board tended to be people who wanted to be here and wanted to learn something about ER. Today's search-engine optimization is driving huge herds of others to the board. That includes a host of trolls & spammers who know that they can depend on someone in this huge user population to rise to their bate/bait. SEO also attracts herds of people who don't care about ER. Every week or two we get a post from a veteran who's facing "military early retirement". Google that phrase (including the quotes) and see why they end up here. Even with that FAQ they still post their quandary seeking help.

The board's purpose isn't aligned with its members. This URL was founded years ago because TMF started charging for access to its ER discussion board-- they cared more about money than their membership. Dory started this board for free, although contributions were gratefully accepted. Note that all the problems mentioned in the last four paragraphs have a common issue: the pursuit of revenue. Everything that we members might prefer (a smaller community, faster response, less unfavorable attention) is in direct conflict with the higher priority of driving huge herds of eyeballs to the pages in the hope of getting a few clicks.

Note that the longer one is a member here, the less valuable one becomes. We remember the way things were instead of accepting the way things are. Our attempts to preserve the status quo become reactionary obstructions to progress. Our impatience with crowds of the lost, the trolls, and the spammers becomes intolerance. Our impatience with new posters who don't read the FAQs becomes hostility. Our lack of interest in discussing the FAQ archive subjects becomes curmudgeonly. And long-time members don't click on ads, nor do they submit silently (let alone cooperatively) to change.

I used to think that this board's problem need fixing, but I no longer feel obligated to be the one doing the fixing. The board could be better than it is now, but those improvements are fundamentally incompatible with a profit motive. I've also found other discussion boards to handle most of the subjects that I'm interested in. I return to this board for its members who I've learned have the skill, experience, & wisdom to answer financial questions in one stop. They're still able to take care of ER topics in spite of all the obstacles, and they're not necessarily available on those other boards. But if this place imploded then I'd probably be able to find what I seek on one of the other ER boards, and I'd be joined shortly afterward by the core of this board's membership about whom I care.

Let Darwin decide. I think that this board could keep going indefinitely, but it wouldn't take much to knock it off the perch. Morningstar's Vanguard Diehards discussion board kept on going for months despite M*'s slow servers, ad-bloated pages, and mismanagement-- and perhaps only because of the efforts of a dedicated core of posters. However when H0cus showed up and M* didn't manage the issue (despite dozens of warnings, including a few from me) then it was the last straw for the significant minority of the board's population. They went off to found Bogleheads, which has become far better than it ever could have been under M*'s management. That sort of single point of failure is the only thing separating this board from obsolescence and irrelevance.

To see what I'm describing, take a look at those other boards I mentioned a few posts back. It might also be possible to find an earlier version of this board (say, from 2005 or 2006) cached in Google or in some other Internet time machine. To see a fast ad-free vBulletin board that tolerates no fools, let alone trolls or spammers, you could go to HawaiiThreads.com.

Seriously. But hey, you asked the question.

I was worrying that, eventually, everyone would leave and not tell me.

Oh that would be very sad. I'd hate to log on here some day and find out that everyone had moved on without me. Sort of like the "empty nest" for ERs! I really appreciate the interesting information and discussions on this forum, esp about finances. I have no one to talk to about the economy or financial stuff.

Ok so maybe it isn't near Tonganoxie, KS or the yet to be found yellow brick road.

Ya know - all good things come to an end - what with the clock ticking and all - after 15 years of ER - I'm 65 with Social Security, Medicare.

It kinda sucks being just plain ordinary retired.

heh heh heh - ? dust off the curmudgeon certificate and work on grumpy perhaps? :confused:

Is the board really that much slower than 4-5 years ago? I don't notice. Then again, I'm not using ad blocking software, so maybe I get a different experience. When I found the board, I was just glad that found the board because I just wanted to find out was I the only one besides Dilbert who found work ridiculous at times.

Thank god I don't have to mod on this forum. (Actually I have never been invited, but I would have gracefully declined. Cough.) I can see how answering the same old questions can get old. I know I got tired of saying, "Yes, those calfs and buns are real."

I take it surfing conditions suck, eh?
Still. Rainy, cold, windy, and flat.

Spent three hours in the rental this morning fixing kitchen cabinets (just a few years old, damn tenants) and planning the next upgrade to the bathroom cabinets (30 years old and way overdue). Oh, and the shower faucet decided to start leaking. It must have a "tenant proximity" feature...

Haven't seen Chinaco around for a while. Miss him, he's the one who gave the great suggestion that after a few weeks as a mod. I might want to change my name to CuppaBooze. Nah, not yet, I'll just chug it.

Cheers, Chinaco!

Where's that hiccup smilie? It's Saturday night!!

Last edited:
Radders board is good, but there's not much traffic there...

You guys here gave the inspiration to pull the pin at 39 and I have NO REGRETS!!!

I plan on being here a long time:cool:

I remember this thread. I gave up on it much too soon apparently, -- not, however, before your tirade or CFB's "explanation." I didn't recognize the seriousness of the situation even though Dex's similiar behavior around the same time had concerned me greatly. (In fact, when Dex started this thread my great fear was we were heading down the same path.)

In any event, you now know my position on this subject. It would be a great loss if you were to pick up your toys and stomp off. Your recent brilliantly insightful "Fog of Work" post is but a small sample of what you bring to the table.

The board's getting too big. I used to read every post and welcome every new poster, but now there are too many of both to keep track of.

Yeah, its like Yogi Berra said; "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded." I don't know how that can be solved. Certainly, it is too late for any birth control methods. Mr. Berra also said, "We have all passed a lot of water since then." The only thing one can do now is make personal adjustments to the situation.

I do understand how [-]complicated [/-]complex life has become. My first "personal" computer was a Timex-Sinclair with those Chicklet keys and IIRC 4bits of memory in the early 80's. I was one of the first members of Compuserve (had a very low user number) and spent many an hour on numerous BBs. Life was so simple then. Today, I get up around 4:00am and start my day by reading 20 newspapers (including, BTW, the Star-Bulletin and the Advertiser). I next read the posts on 138 RSS feeds (including, BTW, the HawaiiThreads one -- along with similar ones in other major cities). In addition, I get around 150 personal e-mails a day from various pursuits. I also bake a loaf of bread every morning (granted it is a Bread Machine but it does take about an hour of "hands on" time. I am, also, the cook around here so from 4-6:00 PM is spent in the kitchen or at the table -- this is also the time that I get my television news fix. My day abruptly ends at 10:00 PM every night without fail. On top of all that I use several news aggregators (Google news, Topix, and the NYTimes etc.) on all the time. Ah, for life to be simple again.

My routine with this particular forum (well, there is a problem currently but in an ideal world) is to check the RSS feed for new threads and subscribe to those (few) that interest me or I feel I can contribute to. I then read only those posts that are identified (by e-mail notification) as new in the subscribed threads. Thus spending relatively little, but very productive time. (yeah, because I graze, it is easy to miss things -- as the above referenced thread proved.) BTW, I periodically visit Raddr's website -- twice last year -- but I have problems with the technical side. I just checked and there were 170 unread messages on 7 pages for me to read. Yeah, like that's going to happen. There is no way to use the routine as described above.

It helps that I have three computers going all the time, each with its own set of tasks.

The board is too slow. It used to run on an older version of discussion-board software that was fast and straightforward. It didn't have some of the bells & whistles that are available with vBulletin, but then with a smaller number of members most of those features weren't necessary. Now that vBulletin seems to be working better, the board is still too slow. Before the URL loads, the E-R.org server seems to waste a few seconds talking to Google Adsense's server to try to download ads that my browser is going to block anyway. The result is a lot of time wasted waiting for a page to start loading, and then waiting for it to finish loading. Repeat for every post.

I haven't noticed that. This board is responsive to my commands... faster than some others. I don't know if the number of ads are the problem -- although, I am sure, any drag on the bandwidth is important. How modern is your equipment?

E-R.org used to be harder to find, and that was a good thing. The people who found the board tended to be people who wanted to be here and wanted to learn something about ER. Today's search-engine optimization is driving huge herds of others to the board. That includes a host of trolls & spammers who know that they can depend on someone in this huge user population to rise to their bate/bait. SEO also attracts herds of people who don't care about ER. Every week or two we get a post from a veteran who's facing "military early retirement". Google that phrase (including the quotes) and see why they end up here. Even with that FAQ they still post their quandary seeking help.

Yeah, that's the same thing that the Native Americans say (or in your case the real Hawaiians). And now, the Europeans have the same complaint about those pesky Mexicans sneaking across the border in the middle of the night. Maybe, you should write down the exact qualifications necessary to enter these hollowed grounds and that will keep us interlopers out -- who knows, it might work this time.

The board's purpose isn't aligned with its members. This URL was founded years ago because TMF started charging for access to its ER discussion board-- they cared more about money than their membership. Dory started this board for free, although contributions were gratefully accepted. Note that all the problems mentioned in the last four paragraphs have a common issue: the pursuit of revenue. Everything that we members might prefer (a smaller community, faster response, less unfavorable attention) is in direct conflict with the higher priority of driving huge herds of eyeballs to the pages in the hope of getting a few clicks.

And yet this is one of the most active on the Web. Who's purpose are you referring to? It seems (to me) to serve most of the participants quite well. If you are referring to Andy R's purpose, I hope you are correct. That he would have a profit motive is (IMHO) an honorable trait -- certainly a socially acceptable one. That it would take money to insure the longevity and (eh...) growth of this form doesn't surprise me. I don't, however, see how his purpose conflicts with my use of this board. In fact, had you not pointed it out, I would not have thought about it.

Note that the longer one is a member here, the less valuable one becomes. We remember the way things were instead of accepting the way things are. Our attempts to preserve the status quo become reactionary obstructions to progress.

Well, yes and no. No, you don't become less valuable with age -- quite the contrary. Yes, without adapting to a current situation, one becomes an obstruction. It is good (I suppose) to have a clear view of the future and a definite idea of how things are "supposed" to be but... what is the military saying, "the best of plans never survive first contact with the enemy"? (or something like that.)

I am going to have to stop here because I have run out of time to proceed.

I do hope you mellow out because, as I said earlier, you are a precious resource that would be a shame to waste.

Reactions: W2R
RonBoyd, thanks for your response in #72.

It channels my thinking so accurately and completely, right down to that exact Yogi quote on the crowded restaurant that no one goes to, that I'm not going to add a thing at this time.

-ERD50

RonBoyd, thanks for your response in #72.

It channels my thinking so accurately and completely, right down to that exact Yogi quote on the crowded restaurant that no one goes to, that I'm not going to add a thing at this time.

-ERD50

Ditto, from this newbie/ spammer /troller :rolleyes:

Hmmmm - :D

We're all being serious here. Right? :rolleyes:.

heh heh heh - :greetings10:. As for me - I have also ER'd from deep thought in any form. :cool:.

So trend spotter wise - when is rental real estate gonna make a comeback as a path to ER?

Back
Top Bottom