What word am I looking for...

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I hope someone can help me here 8)

I was discussing the cavs game with my father, and we were discussing momentum and how important it is. I said " We really stepped it up 3 or four times, and each was a result of the crowd getting crazy and making noise. They got the momentum a few times and it helped. The end of the game was very ...umm...errr...momentous?"

Momentous means imprtant, or consequential. I wanted to say somethiong to the effect of "they had a lot of momentum at the end of the gsame" is there another word I couldve used instead of momentous in that sentence that would mean what I wanted it to mean?

sorry for the wierd question

It's actually a good question.

However, I don't have a good answer.

It reminded me of a radio interview I heard last week, though. The speaker used the term "monumental" correctly, but then went on to refer to the same event as monumentous.

I guess I'm officially a crumdgeon at 46 because I am constantly whining about how the English language is deteriorating.

thefed,
since the word "momentum" is used idiomatically in the vernacular of sports announcers, there probably isn't a "correct" word to describe a game ending with a win caused by increased impetus to win.

Momentum as used in basketball was a topic Bill Walton mentioned on Sports Center or ESPN2 and he said something like;" momentum changes are due to changes in physical effort, emotional levels, positive and negative thinking. Each one impacts the other and comes together to forge momentum." (quote from Athlete Adviser).

So although I have not found you the word, in the words of Thomas Edison, "I have not failed, I have just found 10,000 things that do not work."

IMPETUOUS- is a nice choice but most associate it with a negative connotation, so taken in that context, and here to pertaining, it is likely lacking in the "enthusiasm of the moment" exclamatory impact you were seeking.

Having said that, would it not be probable, that a simple but emphatic exclamation of; "YES", would have been the best choice of word?

OAP!

Good to see ya! I didn't know you had returned to our humble abode here. But I guess I just haven't been paying attention.

Sheryl

Sheryl,
Thanks,
I came in thru the bathroom window.
When I get to NYC, I'll have a new IP and can get a new nickname to hide my identity from the mods.
Like: Pensioner, Age, Old
Kinda military sounding :D
OAP

Back
Top Bottom