What would ruin even the best laid retirement plan

DAYDREAMER

Recycles dryer sheets
Just watched "Olympus Has Fallen", where the white house was taken over by terrorists. Got me thinking. One thing that would for sure ruin even the best planned retirement would be a destabilazation of world power. What other far fetched things could happen that would ruin retirement plans?

No, I'm not a doomer, just amped up from a really good show.

China starts making goods no one wants to buy....

India fixes all those bad power lines....

The world discovers that gold is not really gold after all...:facepalm:

More realistically, a divorce.

In some instances, gambling.

A few will get swindled.

Aliens really do land and are not friendly...

Weather really goes nuts for long enough to cause massive food production disruption...

Tectonic/volcanic activity increases substantially...

Ebola evolves into an airborne disease...

Just watched "Olympus Has Fallen", where the white house was taken over by terrorists. Got me thinking. One thing that would for sure ruin even the best planned retirement would be a destabilazation of world power. What other far fetched things could happen that would ruin retirement plans?

No, I'm not a doomer, just amped up from a really good show.

I'm not convinced that something like "Olympus" would ruin the retirement. Money would still be used, and having it would put you in better shape than not having it. Washington and the politicians would be freaking out, but they do that anyway. In the world outside of the Beltway life would continue. People would be growing crops and buying and selling and money would still have value. Just another weird story from DC, and probably another war or two.

Now the asteroid or the zombies or some of the other scenarios mentioned would definitely mess up my retirement.

A little more far fetched one:

A nuclear war - North Korea vs South/US, Israel vs Iran, India vs Pakistan, China vs US, Russia vs NATO.

I would not worry so much about wars, asteroids, or large scale catastrophes. I cannot do much about that, so why bother, plus I would have a lot of company. Misery loves company. We would all go to hell together.

What all of us should worry about is a serious personal health problem. It's no fun to be sick and waiting to die, while your neighbors are out enjoying themselves.

I am sure many of us remember this song, "Seasons in the Sun" (1973). But I am willing to bet that not too many of us know that this is originally a French song, "Le Moribond" (1961), by the well-known late Jacques Brel. Brel also wrote the original "Ne me quitte pas", which was translated into the English version "If you go away".

Last edited:
A big car crash. A cancer diagnosis. A death in the family. It doesn't have to be exotic to mess up your plans.

I forgot to add that Jacques Brel (1929-1978) died early at 49 of lung cancer, and did not get to retirement.

images

Medical bankruptcy.

Less likely?
The mega volcano under Yellowstone deciding it was time to go off again (which it is);-)

Don't want to bring out all the worriers, but a large scale ebola outbreak in the US.

If the volcano under Yellowstone blows...the clock is ticking on that one.

There is a lot to be said about health and aging. Simple things like a slip on the ice, a drunk driver crossing the median, or even a identity theft could derail you for a bit.

One thing not thought about lately, is the impact of inflation. If we ever return to 18% inflation, like we did in the 70s, it would devastate bond funds. It would also derail the stock market.

If anything (shudder) should happen to Kim Kardashian. :blink:

Back
Top Bottom