Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What would you do (see post)?
Stop reading immediately. 27 60.00%
Keep reading. 18 40.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Re: What would you do?
Old 10-28-2005, 08:33 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Publish it on the internet and send her an email with the URL.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2005, 11:14 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

So what did you do?

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:55 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Now I remember why I had no kids. Please post what you did.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:17 PM   #24

The virtuous advice is don't read it but I voted honestly, I know I would not have been able to resist.

It's not the right thing to do, of course.

The very fact that she left it means there's not something that she'd really really not want you to see, but OTOH it's not an invitation either.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:06 PM   #25

Quote:
So what did you do?
I read it cover to cover.*

For those of you who said they would avoid reading it, I'll just chuckle and say that that's easier said than done.*

Am I glad I read it?* Yes.*

Note that it was found while cleaning out her room so that we could move into it.* IOW I had a valid reason to come across the book.

Old 11-01-2005, 05:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I read it cover to cover.

For those of you who said they would avoid reading it, I'll just chuckle and say that that's easier said than done.

Am I glad I read it? Yes.
I figured it would be a difficult temptation to resist. Interesting. You say you're glad you read it. I suspect you really can't say much, but I'll try to be really general: did/will anything positive come from reading it?
Old 11-01-2005, 05:52 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
I figured it would be a difficult temptation to resist. Interesting. You say you're glad you read it. I suspect you really can't say much, but I'll try to be really general: did/will anything positive come from reading it?
Something positive, like a breathalizer test positive, or a plus symbol on an ept test positive?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:14 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
For those of you who said they would avoid reading it, I'll just chuckle and say that that's easier said than done.*

Am I glad I read it?* Yes.
That's true, but in the long-term perspective it's easier done. Two thoughts:
1. Eeeewwwww. I just don't want to have that detailed a level of knowledge about my kid's life. Especially if it involves other kids who are spending time in my house, eating my food, and engaging me in conversation.
2. For the rest of my life when I engaged with my kid, I'd have to make sure that I didn't screw up and lead her to realize that I'd read her diary. I'm not up to that task.

For the same reasons I don't open her mail and I don't read her e-mail when she leaves her account open. Life is hard enough already.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 10:28 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Eeeewwwww.* I just don't want to have that detailed a level of knowledge about my kid's life.
My thoughts exactly -- and that applies to any blood relative, and maybe to anybody I know and like. I prefer maintaining an idealized view of people I like. Please don't shatter my pretty illusions with gross humanity.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:31 AM   #30

Quote:
did/will anything positive come from reading it?
Yes. *It was good to see some things from her perspective. *She started down the wrong road on some things, but was turned back by the disapproval of her friends. *

Found out that she was able to pull the wool over our eyes.

She didn't do anything I didn't do at that age.

My advice to those of you who still or will have teenagers: Be more wary of parties.

Old 11-02-2005, 10:37 AM   #31

Quote:
My advice to those of you who still or will have teenagers: Be more wary of parties.
OK, so you find these cool x-ray glasses in the back of a magazine that let you see your kid's behavior at all times. Do you intervene at the first sign of any "bad" behavior, or do you let the kid learn from experience?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
OK, so you find these cool x-ray glasses in the back of a magazine that let you see your kid's behavior at all times. Do you intervene at the first sign of any "bad" behavior, or do you let the kid learn from experience?
It depends on the situation. Case and point, DD decided to go with the Goth look Monday night. It was purely unintentional. My dirty blonde daughter decided to she wanted darker hair. The color she picked was licorice black. When I came home yesterday she looked like Eliva with blue hair. She couldn't possibly go to school looking like a freak. I had to strip her hair and now I'm on my way to take her to my hair dresser to have it cut and put dye in it to even things out.

My point is, I could've let her deal with her hair problem and learn from experience, but then I would have to put up with her whining, intermitent crying, and demands that she wouldn't step foot out of the house ever again. I think she's learned her lesson in this instance. Wait until my hair dresser gets a hold of this morning. Knowing him, he's going to lecture her for the full two hours on the do's and don'ts of hair dying.

Wab - Didn't you say you have a female spawn running around? I feel for you, dude. I never had hair, boy, clothes, shoes, female *stuff* issues with my boys.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:54 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Wab - Didn't you say you have a female spawn running around?* I feel for you, dude.* I never had hair, boy, clothes, shoes, female *stuff* issues with my boys.
Thankfully, my DW takes care of all the girly issues. I know exactly what I'll do if directly confronted with that kind of stuff. Close my eyes. Cover my ears. And yell "Neener! Neener! I can't hear you!"
Old 11-02-2005, 11:57 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Return the diary to the place you found it, in the condition you found it.* Say NOTHING!

Thanksgiving/Winter Break is comming up, she will be comming home.* Tell your daughter that she needs to clean her room and either box up or take with her things she wants to save because you intend to give it a deep clean.* Offer her a lockable trunk to place in the basement/attic.*

From here on out listen with a 'third ear'.* We all did foolish things when we were young, what you want to warn her against are disasters.* Better she break a leg when she is young and can recover, than break her spine at any age.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:15 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I'd use it to start a web site and blog. Then I'd sell advertising on the web site. Then I'd sell it to a movie producer. After the movie came out, I'd take my daughter to go see it.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:42 PM   #36

Quote:
Return the diary to the place you found it
That's no longer possible.* When we moved 7 years ago, we gave our daughter the master bedroom.* That worked well, because she spent time there studying, etc, while we mostly just slept in our bedroom.*

The day after she left for college we got to work on an extreme DIY makeover of her room, and moved in.

Here's the before picture:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before.jpg (49.4 KB, 70 views)
Old 11-02-2005, 02:44 PM   #37

And here is after...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg After.jpg (58.1 KB, 72 views)
Old 11-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

What nice parents!
Old 11-02-2005, 02:50 PM   #39

Al,

You may want to photoshop your daughter's TROMBONE out of the "before" picture. I don't think she would appreciate you posting pictures of her INSTRUMENTS on the internet.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:59 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Other than the bra, the before is a lot like my room. I would like it even more I had a bra on my floor too. A different one every morning!

Ha