Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-28-2008, 06:36 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
If I had cancer I would go visit Mr. Willie Nelson and Mr. Woody Harrison and play on their kind side and just maybe they could turn me on to some FREE HEMP.

I would play this song for my wife one last time.

Other then that I would sit back and listen to some good old country & western music like some David Allen Coe, Willie, Waylon, Cash, June, Tom T., Johnny Russell, Kitty, the Silver Fox, the Hag, Bob Willis, Conway, George, Tammy, Frizzell, Buck, Yoakam, Hank, etc..,etc..... then I would quietly ride off into the sunset to meet my maker.

GOD BLESS US ALL

I'd visit Mr. Tim Mc Graw " Live like you are dying "

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:42 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Sign up for all the insurance that pays my credit cards off when I kick and max 'em out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
.........I like the idea of getting insurance on the CC balances and then maxing them out.
The factory credit union that my Dad and all of his co-workers used, automatically marked your balance 'paid' if you kicked the bucket before getting your loan(s) paid off. Our neighbor across the street found out he only had a few months to live, so he wanted to be sure that his widow wouldn't have to make any major purchases for many years to come. He bought a new car, to replace his 15-20 year old clunker. Then he went over to the local appliance store and purchased all new appliances....refrigerator, washer, dryer, & stove. He also had the water heater and the furnace replaced, and a new roof put on. All were paid for with loans at the CU. He died about 2 months later.....and everything was marked off as 'paid'.

As for myself....I'd just try to make sure my survivors were taken care of......my term life policy will see to that.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:02 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
Until your post I never noticed that ad. Someday if I become extremely bored, I may even open and read it. I don't expect to become that bored in the near future.
Oh, I am both easily bored and have lots of unpleasant tasks to procrastinate on, so I have already looked up the website. Looks like a nice place, assuming you are a gay or lesbian retiree.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
First, I am very glad that you are OK!

Here is what I would do. I would hug more, kiss more, and tell more people more about how much they mean to me.

I would be sure to see what was before me, hear what was falling on my ears, and notice the air on my skin, the pavement under my feet, and the sky above my head.

That is what I would do.

Ha
Am also very glad it was just a scare. Do you feel it was a near miss? I'm curious if you feel changed in any way by the experience?

Ha, what you've written is very wise. So much of what is meaningful in my life is the time spent with family and friends, my dog, taking a hike on a lovely day, etc. etc. I loved going to Tanzania on safari, but the thrills were not as meaningful to me as the long conversation I had with my grown son last weekend.

If I were fatally ill I think I would try to go deeper into my everyday life.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:42 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Am also very glad it was just a scare. Do you feel it was a near miss? I'm curious if you feel changed in any way by the experience?

Thanks , I was more changed by the sudden death of my son . This scare just reenforced those feelings .
Old 03-28-2008, 09:03 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

haha gave a great answer.

I'd quit work, obviously. Marry my boyfriend. Somehow manage to be in the same geographical area as my parents and my brother (who live on opposite sides of the country, with me in the middle).

I wouldn't want to cram my last days full, but there are a lot of things I would really want to do...several places I'd want to travel to, to be able to experience as much of the world as possible.

I wonder if the answer to this question depends to some extent on age? I would think that younger people might feel more compelled to rack up life experiences that they're going to miss out on, while older folks might be a bit more laid back about that and choose to live their last months more quietly.

I wouldn't go sky-diving, though.

aworkingrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:10 PM   #27

I would immediately stop studying for the CFA exam that's for sure. Ah, wait, I feel a back ache coming on.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
I would immediately stop studying for the CFA exam that's for sure. Ah, wait, I feel a back ache coming on.
I just got a good snort out of that.

Here, borrow my chair. It should help that back ache along.

aworkingrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
You mean your eyes haven't gooten worse and you have't gained 10 pounds? Time to hit the books!

- Will Rogers
Old 03-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #30

marigoldcreek, huh? a 300-unit retirement community for gay & lesbians. lets see that's 600 people who don't want to have sex with each other. not my idea of fun. just what is the advantage of such arrangements, sharing the houseboy? no thank you.

i do like the gay assisted living facility, however. i can't imagine how horrible it will be to have to go back into the closet when alzheimer's hits. another good reason to keep my rat poison handy. as a good friend of a cousin of mine says: when i can no longer wipe my own butt, just drop some rat poison on the floor; i'll find my way to it.

also glad the op was only scared and not forewarned. also agree many given the luxury of advanced notice will be spending most of their time & effort on the dying process, or fighting it.

as to me, i don't think i would try to temporarily improve my lot in life. i think i would go on as i've been. say a few goodbyes and then work more intensely on my dreaming so that i might pass consciously into the night. i retired early so that i would have the opportunity to travel and to see just where it is i've been. but when it is time to take my final leave, i like to think that i will be satisfied with what i have, rather than spending time trying to fit in a lot of last minute packing.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:52 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
marigoldcreek, huh? a 300-unit retirement community for gay & lesbians. lets see that's 600 people who don't want to have sex with each other. not my idea of fun. just what is the advantage of such arrangements, sharing the houseboy? no thank you.
Hey, how is it different from a straight retirement community?

Oh, and if you end up with alzheimer's, I wouldn't worry about the closet thing. You won't remember, and neither will any of your fellows.

- Will Rogers
Old 03-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #32

i suppose no difference. how tragic. think i'll keep myself out in the general community for as long as possible.

when i was younger and vulnerable i had to hide being gay. now, of course, i'm strong and butch and i can protect myself without hiding.

my issue with having alzheimer's and being gay and stuck in a non-gay-exclusive retirement home is that i might not have enough wits about me to hide like i did when i was younger. certainly i won't have the strength i have now. as well, alzheimer's often lowers inhibitions which help self-control behavior. meanwhile, most caregivers are new immigrants who often are even more homophobic than americans. none of that playing well to my favor.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:30 PM   #33

I used to LBYM before my health scare - which turned out ok. Now I spend like crazy in good health knowing things can change at any time.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:26 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

For me there would be no travel, no jumping from a bridge with a rubber band attached to my feet, and no blowing my money for the heck of it. I would off course stop working but I would want to spend the rest of my days on this earth enjoying the company of my wife, family, friends and of our two cats. Like a true epicurian, I would want to spend my last days enjoying all the pleasurable things life has to offer, a real orgy of the senses so to speak. I would want to eat good food, drink good wine, watch beautiful sunsets, and off course love and be loved... In other words I want to do all the things I do now, but more so with the appreciation of someone who knows the journey is about to end.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:08 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I recently had a health scare everything turned out fine but it got me thinking . If you found out you had a serious health issue that could possibly be fatal what would you do differently ? Would you continue to LBYM or would you rachet up your fun spending ? Besides financially what would you do ? Around the world cruise ? Or just continue life as you've been living it ?
In my case I was told at age 30 I had one year to live unless I had a heart catheterization. After an uncomfortable few months leading up to the procedure, the issue was solved, and six years have now passed.

That experience changed me in a lot of ways. Caused me to finally grow-up. But, I've simply continued in my LBYM ways. In fact, I got more serious about it, as I realized I want to provide for my family if something else comes up.

Even if the catheter hadn't worked, or if something else happened and my time was limited, I can't picture changing much now. I live my life in a manner that I thoroughly enjoy, have a great family and do work that I find both enjoyable and important.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:30 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
First, I am very glad that you are OK!

Here is what I would do. I would hug more, kiss more, and tell more people more about how much they mean to me.

I would be sure to see what was before me, hear what was falling on my ears, and notice the air on my skin, the pavement under my feet, and the sky above my head.

That is what I would do.

Ha
I love that. Although, that's just what I would do I couldn't have articulated it as well as you have. Ha, thanks. That's lovely.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #37

I'm going to be leaving kids behind, so I'd certainly double check that all the wills and preparation are going to work the way I intend. Maybe I take a couple low cost vacations to spend a bit more time with them while I can. Stop work (don't need to fund a long retirement). Keep LBYM. There's nothing I can spend money on that's more important than using the remaining time wisely. I can see wishing for experiences or time with loved ones.