Join Early Retirement Today

What would you do ?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

What would you do ?

I recently had a health scare everything turned out fine but it got me thinking . If you found out you had a serious health issue that could possibly be fatal what would you do differently ? Would you continue to LBYM or would you rachet up your fun spending ? Besides financially what would you do ? Around the world cruise ? Or just continue life as you've been living it ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I recently had a health scare everything turned out fine but it got me thinking . If you found out you had a serious health issue that could possibly be fatal what would you do differently ? Would you continue to LBYM or would you rachet up your fun spending ? Besides financially what would you do ? Around the world cruise ? Or just continue life as you've been living it ?
Depends if it was only me left and there was a good chance I would die in x years then ya I would live it up for the hell of it. However if my wife was left I doubt I would do much of anything different. I would not want to screw up the rest of her life.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My sister did that, and for the last 6 and a half years of her life, she put in about 50 years of living. She said very succinctly to me: "I might as well have fun now, I don't know how LONG the fun will last"............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Depends if it was only me left and there was a good chance I would die in x years then ya I would live it up for the hell of it. However if my wife was left I doubt I would do much of anything different. I would not want to screw up the rest of her life.
I agree. Once I knew my widow would be financially OK after I checked out, then we would go take as many dream vacations as possible with the leftovers before I became too sick to travel.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
My sister did that, and for the last 6 and a half years of her life, she put in about 50 years of living. She said very succinctly to me: "I might as well have fun now, I don't know how LONG the fun will last"............

My brother did the same thing . He had a heart transplant and crammed a lot of living into his final years .
Old 03-28-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Gosh Moe, I'm glad you're ok.

I keep thinking about that guy in London. He was told he had six months to live. He went into a spending frenzy. Turns out the diagnosis was wrong.

I've always wanted to go to New York, so I'd probably treat myself. But, then I would get back down to earth and spend time with the few family members and friends that I have left. That would be priceless.

Knowing that I could leave them money for their future would be enough for me.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:36 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Other than quitting work, I would just continue to live life as I am living it. The only difference would be that I would see an attorney and make sure my estate was set up properly and everything was in order.

Thank goodness you are all right!! Me too, and I don't anticipate having to make such decisions for several decades (hopefully).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Well, since I am incessantly hit with banner ads here for it, I would probably obey the advertising monkey and move to Marigold Creek, a community for gays and lesbians.

Then I would probably live it up, subject to making sure my survivors were well cared for. Sign up for all the insurance that pays my credit cards off when I kick and max 'em out.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Well, since I am incessantly hit with banner ads here for it, I would probably obey the advertising monkey and move to Marigold Creek, a community for gays and lesbians.

Then I would probably live it up, subject to making sure my survivors were well cared for. Sign up for all the insurance that pays my credit cards off when I kick and max 'em out.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Same here, but I like the idea of getting insurance on the CC balances and then maxing them out. Irresponsibility can be such fun.

Hmmm... have to read the fine print on that and think through the paper trail of "what did I know and when did I know it"... are preexisting conditions excluded - probably - otherwise they might come after DW anyway. It comes close to committing provable fraud then all bets are off.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Sell all the light fixtures and appliances out of the bank's my house...

Then go find that medical marijuana facility...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Get a second and third opinion.

Have a potlatch.

Buy a small RV and travel around the country.

Give away money to small, local endeavors.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
First, I am very glad that you are OK!

Here is what I would do. I would hug more, kiss more, and tell more people more about how much they mean to me.

I would be sure to see what was before me, hear what was falling on my ears, and notice the air on my skin, the pavement under my feet, and the sky above my head.

That is what I would do.

Ha
Old 03-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

If I had cancer I would go visit Mr. Willie Nelson and Mr. Woody Harrison and play on their kind side and just maybe they could turn me on to some FREE HEMP.

I would play this song for my wife one last time.

Other then that I would sit back and listen to some good old country & western music like some David Allen Coe, Willie, Waylon, Cash, June, Tom T., Johnny Russell, Kitty, the Silver Fox, the Hag, Bob Willis, Conway, George, Tammy, Frizzell, Buck, Yoakam, Hank, etc..,etc..... then I would quietly ride off into the sunset to meet my maker.

GOD BLESS US ALL
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:42 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

Seriously?
Old 03-28-2008, 03:43 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

It is fun to think what we'd do in these circumstances, but the reality is usually far different from our imagined plans. I suspect most who are faced with some sort of life threatening illness spend a majority of their time fighting the disease and using most if not all of their strength to do so.

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions. A good friend dying from a brain tumor went on a cruise with his wife less than three weeks prior to his death, but I don't think his final days were necessarily typical. My guess is that my brother, currently in the last stages of lung cancer, is more likely to be the norm. He's spent the last few months battling the disease and spending as much time as possible with friends and relatives, saying goodbye without actually using the phrase.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:06 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Thanks all , I'm fine after a few scarey days . These scares do make you realize that anything can happen . I'd be much more spontaneous and travel on a moments notice and treat all my friends and family to a great vacation and tell them all how much I love them . Max out my credit cards ? Tempting but not my style !
Old 03-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post

Until your post I never noticed that ad. Someday if I become extremely bored, I may even open and read it. I don't expect to become that bored in the near future.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #19

Oh I thought I was the only one getting the ad for Marigoldcreek.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Making me gladder and gladder that I view this site with firefox and adblock+...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote